Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

‘Bigger deal’ is debatable, but considering he’s more recent and so therefor more kids and young adults are gonna be interested, he’d almost certainly pull a much bigger crowd, and his voice isn’t exactly in tip top shape there’s days - I believe he does a whole lot of holding the mic out to the crowd whenever it gets even remotely challenging. 

He's been doing that for 20 years

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

‘Bigger deal’ is debatable, but considering he’s more recent and so therefor more kids and young adults are gonna be interested, he’d almost certainly pull a much bigger crowd, and his voice isn’t exactly in tip top shape there’s days - I believe he does a whole lot of holding the mic out to the crowd whenever it gets even remotely challenging. 

That'll be everything that's gone up his nose or in his arms over the years.

3 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

In terms of musical history/legacy, I'd argue that the only bigger acts than DiRo to ever appear on the Pyramid are the Stones, Macca and Bowie (maybe Elton & Stevie Wonder at a push) - and they all headlined.

The idea that Williams is a bigger legend than Diana Ross is f**king insane!

He's not but she is also bar Jeff Lynne the least interest one of current times they've had, in my view anyway. 

On 6/30/2023 at 9:52 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Who cpuld really be in the frame?

Duran Duran,

Spice Girls,

Robbie Williams?

None are my preference, just struggling to see who fits

Robbie was superb at Pinkpop as headliner. Still puts on a brilliantly fun set. Could definitely do the legends slot, but suspect still a few years off yet.

1 hour ago, willsmith700 said:

Could definitely do the legends slot, but suspect still a few years off yet.

Yeah that's my take. Inevitable, but don't see it in the next 5 or so years.

There's still too many people who need to do it that - to be quite blunt about it - the clock is ticking on and should be prioritised.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Superscally said:

The crowd argues otherwise.

The biggest problem was the drab wet weather when ELO were on. We enjoyed it and actually thought despite the mud 2016 was a great Glastonbury.  Anyway, Robbie would be an ideal pick for the teatime slot.  Can say I’d be overwhelmed if it was the spicers.

22 hours ago, incident said:

Yeah that's my take. Inevitable, but don't see it in the next 5 or so years.

There's still too many people who need to do it that - to be quite blunt about it - the clock is ticking on and should be prioritised.

Yeah. Hard to think of who would be on the radar nowadays. Suspect Rod Stewart will be a definite for the slot at some point. His 2002 headline set has largely been written out of history (I think it was weak) haha, so at least a super fun legends slot can be put on record for him.  

1 hour ago, Sasperella2 said:

Are there enough surviving members of The Kinks for it to be The Kinks? Is there any other reason why it couldn't be The Kinks?

I would really like it to be The Kinks 🙂

I think just Ray and Dave would be enough to legitimately call it The Kinks.

But unfortunately I also think that the window for that potentially happening probably closed about 5 years ago. Ray will be 80 by the time of the next festival and seems to have basically disappeared from public view for a while now.

8 minutes ago, willsmith700 said:

Yeah. Hard to think of who would be on the radar nowadays. Suspect Rod Stewart will be a definite for the slot at some point. His 2002 headline set has largely been written out of history (I think it was weak) haha, so at least a super fun legends slot can be put on record for him.  

Hasn't he said he only wants to sing jazz / swing from now on? - he doesn't want to sing his old classics anymore.