Your biggest fail/error when attending The Farm?

Tom White

Doesn't need to be 2023 specific and I can see we've threads on regrets for artists/sets missed and frustrations....but I am interested in people's errors/fails. 

Let me open the bidding:

Last Weds the intention of Mrs. TomW and I was to leave home around 1000-1030. 

We'd pretty much packed the night before and so knew where everything was and just needed to get food/drink out of fridge/freezer.

We made good time and by 1000 were loading the car. 

We left the house around 1045 in the end. It's around 145 miles for us to the site. With no festival traffic, I'd allow 3.5hrs. But was thinking it'd be around 5hrs.

20 mins into the journey:

Mrs TomW: "hey is my small day pack in the car?" 

Me: "yeah everything was at the side of the car and I am sure it's all in the back somewhere...must be, I can barely see through the rear view mirror..."

Mrs TomW: "are you sure? Please can we stop so I can check?"

Me: "I am sure no, need to stop now...."

Mrs TomW: "ok".

We made pretty good time and got to Shepton Mallet around 1430. Then we hit the queue. 

We we're stationary (edging slowly forward occasionally) - and other people in the queue we're getting out of the car, stretching legs and getting drinks out of the boot etc.

Mrs TomW: "Stay here, I am going to check the boot to make sure my day pack is in the car. it's got my event ticket and wallet in".

Me: "ok, it's deffo in there. But proper lol if its not....."

Mrs TomW: *checks boot* "erm, it's not there......"

Me: "arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhh. Right, let's turn round now and go back..."

It could have been much worse - my GF called her 18yr old son (just finished his a-levels and does drive).

He confirmed her day pack was sat in the middle of the drive. She sent him petrol money and he set off to meet me at Andover services. 

I dropped the GF at the campsite (we were staying off site near gate C) and they we're happy to let us in.

Car duly unpacked and 2 very nice couples helped my GF setup. I set off for another 100mile round trip to get her bag.

Eventually got back just before 1900. Camp all nicely setup. A couple of cold beers and into the festival we went.

I am glad we can laugh about it now....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Losing my water bottle late on Sunday afternoon so not hydrating much that day is definitely up there in terms of its impact on Monday.

The "no plastics" rule is all well and good, but when you want a cheap bottle you can refill for a day a plastic bottle of water would be perfect!

8 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Prodigy over Blur in 2009

Oof. I almost went to see the Prodigy, but something made me come to my senses at the last minute.

I don't have many big regrets. Probably the worst is going too way too hard on the Friday in 2003, falling asleep at our tent, and missing R.E.M. 😞

• Janet Jackson over Lizzo in 2019. Still haunts me.  
  • Overdoing it every night the first two years I went and sleeping most of the days away.
  • Trying to see too much some years and managing about 20 mins of each set.

This year I got the perfect balance of everything and came away from the festival feeling fulfilled and, luckily, not too physically or mentally unwell!

The delicate balance of all the different things you put into your body over the festival - whether it be food, fluids, booze or...sundries. 

It's so easy to screw them up and leave yourself pished and flaked out in the sun or too baked/spangled or not feeding yourself. 

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

The delicate balance of all the different things you put into your body over the festival - whether it be food, fluids, booze or...sundries. 

It's so easy to screw them up and leave yourself pished and flaked out in the sun or too baked/spangled or not feeding yourself. 

Why I prefered 2019 and 2022.  Got the balance spot on 4 nights out 5 this year, but was pretty mashed up on the Sunday and the journey home was punishing 

1 hour ago, ICGenie said:

The "no plastics" rule is all well and good, but when you want a cheap bottle you can refill for a day a plastic bottle of water would be perfect!

All is not lost.  The 'no plastics' rule only applies to traders - it's a sensible policy to stop people buying a plastic bottle of water or coke, drinking it and lobbing it in the bin.  The only rule for punters' bottles is no glass, so you can bring whatever plastic bottles you want to refill on site.  (You occasionally hear concerns raised about carcinogens leaching into the liquid if you reuse 'single-use' plastic bottles - that's bollocks according to Cancer UK and is probably a myth put about by companies trying to flog posh plastic bottles.)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mich1268 said:

Spending way too mich time on Pyramid. Dont know why I did it this year. Big mistake. Husband has said he will not go to another Pyramid headliner unless it is, say, David Bowie. I am with him

I’ve got some bad news for you guys…

• Upvote 3

Going along to see Joe Wicks PE just because he was close to Acoustic stage which is where the first act I wanted to see was on. I fully intended to just laugh at other people doing it but damn that Glasto spirit that made me think I should also throw myself into it. The lunges and squats I did made moving for the rest of the weekend much more painful than it needed to be. 

• Upvote 4

Going way to hard last year leading to a visit to Bath hospital Thursday night and an overnight stay.  Irregular heartbeat was picked up by medical services. 

Gotta say FMS and the Campsite Crew were f**king brilliant and I have contributed to FMS

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Going to something because you feel you "should" rather than what you enjoy is always 1 to regret IMO. And being bothered to be there on your own.

I've stopped doing that now.

I say that, having just watched Elton instead of QOTSA, but Im seeing them in November - so this was a chance to do both as I love both of them.

I watched Young Fathers on my own whilst everyone else I knew was at Fred Again. The best decision of the weekend.

In the past I have watched things such as the Gorillaz, just to be with my group. I'd rather enjoy who I am watching.

• Like 1

Hanging around waiting for people to arrive (who we didn't particularly know). We were being nice I suppose, but there was loads of other things we could have been doing, and when they did finally arrive and pitch up, they went off anyway 😅

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Going to something because you feel you "should" rather than what you enjoy is always 1 to regret IMO. And being bothered to be there on your own.

I've stopped doing that now.

I say that, having just watched Elton instead of QOTSA, but Im seeing them in November - so this was a chance to do both as I love both of them.

I watched Young Fathers on my own whilst everyone else I knew was at Fred Again. The best decision of the weekend.

In the past I have watched things such as the Gorillaz, just to be with my group. I'd rather enjoy who I am watching.

I went to the Foos to stay with the group and cos it was something I thought could have been interesting and worth acquiring some 'I was there points' at.

And then bugger me I actually quite enjoyed it