Should flags be banned ?

Crazyfool01

Should they ban flags or not ?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Should they ban flags ?

• Total ban on Flags during Acts
    • Some restrictions to help those further back on disabled platforms and without physical/mental ability to go down the front see some of the stage (eg. no flags in the pit, and one flag per pole)
    • Flags everywhere - I like vibes and don't care if others can't see

Can see option 2 winning this by a mile.

I would hate to see them go entirely but saw a picture in the other thread of the view from the disabled platform and clearly something needs to be done, never realised how bad it was. 

I suspect the festival quite like having flags considering they have some on some of their branding etc. 

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

Can see option 2 winning this by a mile.

I would hate to see them go entirely but saw a picture in the other thread of the view from the disabled platform and clearly something needs to be done, never realised how bad it was. 

I suspect the festival quite like having flags considering they have some on some of their branding etc. 

for those that didn’t see it - this is the photo from next to the disabled platform I took. And yeah, that was the moment I realised we need a compromise. For the record I voted to keep flags back in the day when they asked - but the situation is worse now. 

BD8849D8-AD60-4489-AFBF-95BFD4D2FF89.jpeg

2 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

for those that didn’t see it - this is the photo from next to the disabled platform I took. And yeah, that was the moment I realised we need a compromise. For the record I voted to keep flags back in the day when they asked - but the situation is worse now. 

even the screens obscured ... id use those stood further back tbh but if you cant see those its an absolute ball ache ... especially if you cant shuffle a little to see past / around them 

13 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Bloody hell. I'd be seriously questioning the point of attending if I had to put up with that.

21 minutes ago, faymondo said:

We take our flag out now and again but I can see the problem with them this year so have gone for a total ban. There does however need to be some pre erected meeting point flags on the main stages. 

Yeah you could actually put flag poles up with submitted designs at various points across the field.

When I first went to Glastonbury the idea if having a flag was to mark your tent..you would get the odd one in the crowd (including that Wolves one which seems to be at every Glastonbury festival) but with the number being taken into crowds now it is getting daft…so, ban them all from stage areas. 

Also, so many of them are really crap…I think I saw one that made me chuckle this year, the Kendall In The Wind one. If you’re going to take a flag at least make it interesting.

46 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

even the screens obscured ... id use those stood further back tbh but if you cant see those its an absolute ball ache ... especially if you cant shuffle a little to see past / around them 

Yeah and right screen is almost entirely blocked by a single flag that is clearly well back from the pit, so I'm not sure what sort of compromise would actually work (flags only in the pit!?)

1 minute ago, kidpresentable said:

Should they be banned at stages? Of course!

Will they ever be banned at stages? Never gonna happen.

I don't think they will get banned as they have become part of the marketing. But I think the fact that the mass at the front has essentially become discriminatory means there could be some change.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

The fact its compromising the experience for disabled people is pretty horrible. I really don't think the flags add to the "magic" despite the fact it does look great on tv and can help you find mates in the crowd.

I think it's one of those things, that when flags thin out, people would realise weren't half as important as they believed they were.

If you go to West Holts or JP there's generally only a few dotted around and the gigs and atmosphere are brilliant. I think also that when it is a wall of flags they do get in the way of the audience engaging with the experience. Everyone is basically just listening to an expensive radio.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

The fact its compromising the experience for disabled people is pretty horrible. 

At something like Elton when the field is that busy, you can't just move to get an unblocked view anyway. It also affects anyone stood in the back half of the field in the same way. It's not like every able-bodied person can all get down the front either.

1 hour ago, deepkittycaz said:

Bloody hell. I'd be seriously questioning the point of attending if I had to put up with that.

I'm sure the masses who fry and fail to get tickets every year will fill your spot.

Love the flags just don't know anyone can be arsed to carry round a flag pole all day. Mine stays firmly in the ground at the tent. 

2 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I can't see a compromise on flags would be workable and it would have to be all or nothing  The festival could politely ask not to bring a flag but they do the same with gazebos and look how that turns out.

If they politely asked them not to be beyond x point, it would cut the numbers and that might be enough. Gazebo numbers dropped massively after they started asking!

Edited by strummer77

1 hour ago, jow95 said:

I'm sure the masses who fry and fail to get tickets every year will fill your spot.

Love the flags just don't know anyone can be arsed to carry round a flag pole all day. Mine stays firmly in the ground at the tent. 

Wow. Loving your lack of empathy for those who are stuck with that view there.

My point was that I would be very frustrated in that position. It's not like you can move the viewing platforms easily...

Managed to get a really good spot for Elton, a bit up the hill with decent view of stage and the screen. That was until a few flags appeared a bit down from us that totally obscured our view everytime they fluttered. Everyone around us were not too happy about it. I’ve always liked the flags but they seem to have become look at me everyone I’m on tv. They do look very atmospheric but that’s at the cost of obscuring the view of thousands of people behind them. 

They need to go. Anybody who says just move to get a view must not have gone to Elton on Sunday, as once you're in a crowd like that there is simply nowhere to go.

We were quite close to the front, maybe 1/5th of the field back, with a really good view of the left hand screen. All was well and then just before he started someone put up their 3 flag pole and for my wife who is a 5.5ft it was all over. She saw nothing for the whole set as the screen was totally obscured. Me being taller I could just about see bits, I could have swapped places with her but the girl behind my wife was the same height as her and I didn't want to block her view even more.

All you need to enjoy a set at Glasto is your eyes and ears, anything else like flags and flares can do one.

• Upvote 1

While the flags are not ideal, my wife who has Cerebral palsy never uses the platforms at the Pyramid because they are that far away so the view and sound is not great at the best of times (she sits, stands on the left hand side near the Wateraid tent), especially the one on the right hand side shown on the picture above. She uses all other viewing platforms (Other Stage, West Holts, Woodsies) as the set up is better. 

So while I'm not saying flags need to be reduced, I'm not sure the argument because of accessible platform at the Pyramid is the answer.