Overcrowding / Capacity (2022 vs 2023)

st dan

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

With Whizzkid getting small crowd, I can only assume that Kelis, The Park & the SE were packed.

The Silver Hayes was quiet on Friday. I walked through towards the Pyramid on Sat after leftfield (so headliner time) & it was much busier.

I expected Camelphat to be rammed, it wasnt at all. There was a load of room (once you got past the people who just stood at the entrance & made it look full)

Kelis didn't feel packed to me.

The people standing at the entrance is a common issue. There's usually room at the front, esp to the sides.

Much better than last year.   I never had to queue for toilets or water once.

Thursday very busy everywhere, which is kind of inevitable.  I was volunteering, so camped in Oxfield, but not good to read that all this glamping/hospitality stuff is taking away 'normal' campers' space.

Elton was the busiest I have seen the Pyramid.  I couldn't even get a spot from where to see the screen properly - but then I was late arriving as had just come off shift.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

With Whizzkid getting small crowd, I can only assume that Kelis, The Park & the SE were packed.

The Silver Hayes was quiet on Friday. I walked through towards the Pyramid on Sat after leftfield (so headliner time) & it was much busier.

I expected Camelphat to be rammed, it wasnt at all. There was a load of room (once you got past the people who just stood at the entrance & made it look full)

The tent was a long way from full for Hot Chip too.

Had friends at loads of different stages that night and the only one that was busy was Arcadia but surely that can't account for everyone!

I was at Kelis and the crowd only went up to the tower but was lively, I left and cut through Wizkid - crowd barely reached the tower and didn't seem to have a vibe.

I dunno if I festivalled smarter or the stewarding/scheduling was just better but it definitely felt much less chaotic this year.

There was clear evidence of crowd control measures this year including one-way systems which seemed largely successful.

Thursday to be fair is always a bit of a problem because there are so many people trying to get into the few things that are happening, the crowds in the vicinity of Example probably being the worst. 

The tightest crowd moment I experienced all weekend was a snail's-pace crawl along the Railway Track on Friday night, I tried to cut through Greenpeace field but that was chocka too with the Glitterbox takeover, nothing too scary though and everyone seemed pretty respectful. I also noticed that they had closed off access to the Stone Circle as it was so full.

I was at Chemical Brothers on Saturday (an anticipated pinch point) and there was actually loads of space to dance, it never felt overcrowded and I was wondering why we didn't notice a huge influx after the headliners. I later realised it was because the area had been closed off. When I went to leave Arcadia that night the pathway south towards the Park was blocked off so I had to go down to the railway line instead.

Although the one-way systems were a bit maze-like at times - you should have seen the circuitous route I took to get from Woodsies to Block 9 on Sunday night - it was definitely helping to avoid overcrowding.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think this year was as busy as 2022.

In 2022 I remember watching Fontaines DC to a packed Other Stage. Left and went to watch the last 15 mins of Amyl and the Sniffers where the then John Peel was rammed with people outside.

All while Diana Ross was playing at the Pyramid, which I’m pretty sure was rammed? 

6 hours ago, Alvoram said:

The Chems on Arcadia too???

That looked pretty busy

Much less busier than previous years IMO. Walked straight in without any issue. Biggest crush for me was next to the food stalls when I walked past Ben Howard on Friday, it didn't help that a Van needed to drive through it all. 

They definitely got most of the one way systems right this year.

Worst I was aware of was Wednesday evening. People on their way to the Stone circle for the opening ceremony. I wasn't there, but kept hearing stuff on the radio " Glade crossroads and railway track at a standstill", "people breaking through fences at Strummerville" etc.

Overall I reckon it was much better than last year.

The only issue (I say issue, it was fine, just particularly busy, was trying to get to Panic Shack at Truth Stage on Thursday evening.

It seemed like a lot of people had wandered up to Truth, perhaps expecting more dance music, and did a quick about turn when they heard the band and tried to get back past Nowhere to Block 9 or Common. Once you got through that lot, there was a load of room at Truth but we'd missed the first 15 minutes by then. 

I've mentioned this in another thread but the announcements asking people to stand up and fold chairs/blankets away was a very welcome addition and one I hope continues in the future. You could almost hear people breath out as it happened.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The only issue (I say issue, it was fine, just particularly busy, was trying to get to Panic Shack at Truth Stage on Thursday evening.

It seemed like a lot of people had wandered up to Truth, perhaps expecting more dance music, and did a quick about turn when they heard the band and tried to get back past Nowhere to Block 9 or Common. Once you got through that lot, there was a load of room at Truth but we'd missed the first 15 minutes by then. 

I've mentioned this in another thread but the announcements asking people to stand up and fold chairs/blankets away was a very welcome addition and one I hope continues in the future. You could almost hear people breath out as it happened.

We got in from the deluxe diner direction to watch The Midnight Zu , Beatles dub club and then Panic Shack and I think they made it one way only before Panic shack started 

Definite improvement over last year, which felt dangerous at times. Lots of room for dancing even at busy gigs. I was at QOTSA rather than Elton, but friend felt it was pretty well managed and got out of the field fairly easily. Only had to wait 30 mins for her to arrive at Strummerville.

40 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Yeah, the f**king chair brigade on the pyramid were quite frustrating during the lead up to Elton. Lots of folks 'reserving' their spot with blankets and chair getting irritated when people stepped on them or tried to squeeze past. Was very happy when the announcement went out.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

If only the large numbers of people sat on the ground could have got up as well. Always amazes me that anyone can be comfortable sitting on the ground in such busy crowds. 

9 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I was in the Silver Hayes which was quiet. I thought Camelphat would be mega busy & it wasnt full at all.

I assumed Camelphat would be rammed so didn't even attempt to go there after Fred Again...can't actually think where we did go. Possibly to the Glade to get a good spot for Carl Cox which again was loads quieter than I expected, probably due to Chemical Brothers clash

I’m going to agree with everyone else- so much better! Was in the Arcadia- Park debacle last year so was nervous about trying my luck at Arcadia again on Friday night, but it was fine! Wednesday/ Thursday was as usual but I just use it as an opportunity to go to the quieter places to visit the things I’d normally overlook on Friday-Sunday.
In fact, I’d go as far as to say I find the Sunday the most annoying day as there’s more of the day ticket lot in with chairs, blankets, cool boxes and taking up premium space. Food stalls busier then too I think. Or it just feels more irritating as I’m knackered by then…

i dont think theres a problem with people sotting on chairs at the back of the field. I for one was on a break ftom chemo I needed a chair. No picnic table or blanket mind😀 theres no way I could stand for hours and I wont be the only one. They need more speakers at the back. What about the size of the trucks that people bring their kids in? Its swings and roundabouts.

• Like 2

I've only done 2 festivals, and my first was last year. I grumbled last year, and there really was significant improvements with crowd management. Plenty of folks around each stage to help manage the crowds. 

Friday at the SE corner was a mare, but it was moving, and wasn't a crush. We ended up getting spat out near west holts and gave up re-entering just out of the huge diversion. 

Yeah loads of people, but much easier to manage this year. Apart from loosing my friends at Elton John. I gave up before they made the announcement about putting chairs away. 

2 hours ago, Helsbels said:

I assumed Camelphat would be rammed so didn't even attempt to go there after Fred Again...can't actually think where we did go. Possibly to the Glade to get a good spot for Carl Cox which again was loads quieter than I expected, probably due to Chemical Brothers clash

Chems wasn't even busy tbh

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

So Fri headliner time... where was everyone?! Nowhere seems like it was busy.

Or was it that everywhere was just properly spread out for once? Unless the SE Corner was rammed?

I was at Park for Fever Ray. Certainly wasn’t that busy. Very empty 5 mins before but built up well. As an aside, I thought they were excellent.