Acoustic Stage

Colorblindjames

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Have they fixed the sightlines at all?

Don't imagine there is too much they can do about it given the stage faces downhill. Unless they moved it to a different field, but where?

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Putting the stage on the other side would fox the issue, but then it'll just be mess to enter and exit the tent.

And also make the backstage area have to encroach on the field rather than be in the off limits section.

only ever seen a handful of acts there over the years - Waterboys a couple of times, chas n dave, Evan Dando (sort of) and really only ever used the field as a cut through from camp down to circus etc.

however - last year i think i spent more time in the Acoustic field than anywhere else, not really seeing anyone (except Waterboys) i just liked the bar there and also there was this little cafe that had sofas and cushions and amazing toasted kimchi sandwiches.

also caught Ralph McTell singing Streets of London which was simply stunning.

and i usually have a sleep in the cinema at some point.

19 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

A very fair review!  And I think only at Glasto would Art Garfunkel be on the nth stage (I don't know where it rates but certainly not top tier)

at least he did the song about the wabbits.

Stornaway were great there in 2015 I think although it was far from acoustic. I’ve never seen anything else although given my lack on interest in anything on Saturday night so far you never know, anyone know who it’s gonna be?

Always check out at least one or two acts here, mainly because it's my go to area to escape the festival when a hangover is entering breakdown territory. 

Some nice pints of otter and no crowds.

Also Michael eavis coming on stage to play with Ray Davies is one of my favourite Glasto moments 

I have only watched a handful of acts in there over the years but they have all been excellent, Christy Moore at my first G and then Undertones followed by Heaton and Abbot last year were particularly good. Having a decent bar nextdoor is another selling point.

The sightlines are indeed awful though, I have heard a lot more than I have seen in Acoustic!

On 5/17/2023 at 10:34 PM, balti-pie said:

The exact same set they were tutting at me for daring to stand for 🤣 it was a great set though, the fella next to me was in peals of tears for Bright Eyes and absolutely bawled when I told him it was no.1 the day I was born 🤣🤣 we had a beer and a great big hug after the set, he was a lovely soggy man 

I thought you were on about the band Bright Eyes for a moment and was massively confused / wondering what I'd missed.

It has had some good headliners pour moi, Cindy Lauder instead of Coldplay and Dexys instead of Metallica for example. Really very good. And the blanket/chair brigade have normally moved on/packed up at that time of night. 

26 minutes ago, coma girl said:

then Undertones followed by Heaton and Abbot last year were particularly good. Having a decent bar nextdoor is another selling point.

Was there for those too - had a great time!  Have to say, for me, the best thing about the Acoustic Stage is seeing acts you'd never normally choose to pay and see, and being pleasantly surprised by how much you enjoy them.  I'm not a Beautiful South fan at all, and love Primal Scream... and yet I chose Heaton + Abbot over Primal Scream at John Peel last year just because it seemed like it might actually be more fun - which it was!  Ditto 2017 - chose Status Quo over Radiohead, and most bizarre of all in 2019 went to see Marti Pellow over Liam Gallagher - this is despite having been a huge Oasis fan in the 90s and not liking Wet Wet Wet at all apart from their first-album singles.  I'd never in a million years pay to see Marti Pellow live, but the set was full of 1980s nostalgia (like Heaton and Abbot) and the impromptu crowd acapella of Love is All Around was something to behold - LOL! (Still caught the end of Liam though - yay!)

• Upvote 1

I've seen a couple of headliners there over my years.

Phil Jupitus with the Blockheads were very good and Sinead O'Connor wasn't! She refused to do her hits until the second half of the set and started with experimental new music which quite frankly was shit and I had to leave so missed Mandinka which is the track I love most by her 

8 minutes ago, CR77 said:

and most bizarre of all in 2019 went to see Marti Pellow over Liam Gallagher

i fully intended to go see Marti Pellow but didn't for some reason, cant for the life of me remember what i did instead.

wasn't there some delay and he came on really late for some reason?

(what was really weird about that was i heard Wet Wet Wet on the radio in the evening and i thought to myself how good Marti Pellow's voice was and how it would be cool to see them on the farm - the next day the stage poster was released and there was Marti Pellow's name on it!)