Favourite Sub Headliner Performance - Pyramid

Boomtowner

21 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Worst was Biffy Clyro by far.

Someone threw lager over my 12 year old daughter during The Libertines, not long after she had fallen and scraped both her knees. We were only there to get a good spot for Flo, which we had to relinquish to get her cleaned up (and calmed down). Probably an all time Glastonbury low point for me, so in terms of worst ever I’ll go with that.

16 hours ago, stereodista said:

Scissor Sisters is the one which instantly stands out for me. Faithless smashed it that same year. And didn’t expect to enjoy Lorde as much as I did last summer. 

Scissor Sisters is another one that, in my head, was earlier in the day. Went along to keep my wife company, but absolutely loved it. No I think about it, I've seen almost as many epic sub headliners, as I have epic Headliners.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Faithless/Stevie was an unbelievable way to close what was probably my joint favourite Glasto (2019 the other one)  Both sets were epic, but the crowd really made it.  Such positivity, everyone dancing like fuck on tired legs.  Incredible stuff.  RIP Maxi.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

The xx before Radiohead or Tame Impala in 2016 

Worst was Biffy Clyro by far.

I didn't go in 2017 but watched their set on the Beeb. They definitely seem like one of those acts whose live show only really works in the dark, and is lost in broad daylight. I saw them at Leeds way back in 2008 when they were on halfway down the bill, and thought they were underwhelming, despite their reputation of being one of the best live bands around.

Also perhaps subbing Ed Sheeran at a festival like Glastonbury isn't their right kind of envrionment.

Edited by VCK

5 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Faithless/Stevie was an unbelievable way to close what was probably my joint favourite Glasto (2019 the other one)  Both sets were epic, but the crowd really made it.  Such positivity, everyone dancing like fuck on tired legs.  Incredible stuff.  RIP Maxi.

Definitely my favourite double bill on the Pyramid, although the 2002 Faithless performance edged the 2010 one.

2010 and 2019 are my favourite festival years as well!

On 3/13/2023 at 5:23 PM, internetjef said:

Kasabian we’re good before the boss that year 

Tame impala was good too. Quite a small crowd for that slot but weather was pretty magic and think the band and crowd who did attend were well into it 

with about 10 festivals attended actually really surprised I can’t remember more contenders ha 

fender was good recently , as were vampire weekend year before 

Hate Kasabian with a vengeance, and a lot of it goes to experience at this gig. Had a good front barrier spot for The Boss when this gang of K 'fans' - thugs - spent most of the K set trying to elbow and manhandle me out of the way, questioning went I was even there, even physically threatening me. And some of them were barely out of nappies. 

Scrouts 

Another 2010 Faithless vote from me. Getting to see them before they broke up, on that stage, after the weather that weekend with the sunset over the Tor in the background with a field full of people raving to timeless classics before Stevie Wonder. Man that was amazing.

I also thought Foals should have headlined instead of Muse in 2016. I thought that before they played and then they proved it. I was with some folks who had never heard them before but I'd insisted they were the big recommendation of the weekend wen they asked. They kept making comments in absolute awe of the show. It was a belter!

On 3/13/2023 at 9:38 PM, wro_lap said:

I missed Sam Fender to get to the front for Foals. It was simultaneously my biggest regret and totally worth it. Looked like the best sub set ever

Watched all of Sam then had a slow walk over to Foals, where I easily walked up to about 5 people from the front of the stage. Not sure if it was luck or because of massive crowd movements but certainly helped contribute to a great Friday night!

On 3/14/2023 at 11:17 AM, Gnomicide said:

Despite not being on the poster, I think there's a chance Black Keys will still show up, that #GSH is still there. Where would they fit these days, feels like their stock has fallen some way since 2014?

I think they're of a similar billing to Jack White so secret set

On 3/13/2023 at 9:18 PM, stereodista said:

Scissor Sisters is the one which instantly stands out for me. Faithless smashed it that same year. And didn’t expect to enjoy Lorde as much as I did last summer. 

+1 - Scissor Sisters 2010 smashed it like no other

Edited by Festival Liam
typo

On 3/14/2023 at 11:42 AM, eddie_corrigan said:

Elbow before Colplay in 11 and i don't think anyone's mentioned Nick Cave before Blur in 2009.  First time i'd ever seen him

Elbow in 2011 is about as perfect a sub headline slot you can get I think. Great performance form a band right at their peak and complemented the headliner / warmed up the crowd so well