2023 In Memoriam Thread

kalifire

My first festival - Reading '89 - The Pogues headlined the Saturday. I was down the front with my Celtic shirt on. At the end of the gig, Shane climbed down and handed me his half drunk bottle of whiskey. I was gonna take a sip and save the rest as a souvenir. I took a sip and some asshole snatched it from my hand!

I'm off to see The Wedding Present tonight, but I'll raise a glass in his honour.

FWIW I think Red Roses is a much better album than Rum sodomy & the lash. For my money it's the 2nd greatest punk album ever - after London Calling.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, cidy said:

Remember hearing sally maclannane on radio at work back in the 80s ,went out and bought rum sodomy and the lash next day and was hooked.

Checked teletext evey day for gig news 

Bought the 3 music papers weekly

Slept rough in london a few times after gigs as couldnt afford accommodation but ,had to  see the pogues

My all time favourite band and truly sad but as few have said not unexpected,i was only saying to mrs cidy on sunday he s only gone home because he didnt want to die in hospital

Sounds like you had some amazing times, memories to treasure. 
I thought the same when I saw that he was going home the other day, glad he got to be where he wanted to be.

59 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He'd have been heading off to hell a lot sooner.

Tony Bourdain did a perfectly suitable obit on Kissinger 20+ years ago. 

GAJsyuxXoAAkrFI?format=jpg&name=900x900

8 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Met him and Pete Doherty staggering back through Benicassim at sunrise the morning after Shane guested with Babyshambles. We were in worse nick than they were.

I was at that gig. The only time I was able to see Shane MacGowan
Funny memory. Very hot year (2006). Pete Doherty was in the worst period of his drug problems, but Shane arrived on stage even more wasted "Viva España ! No pasaran !" 😁

I've got a recording of it if you're interested 🙂

3 hours ago, franswa said:

I was at that gig. The only time I was able to see Shane MacGowan
Funny memory. Very hot year (2006). Pete Doherty was in the worst period of his drug problems, but Shane arrived on stage even more wasted "Viva España ! No pasaran !" 😁

I've got a recording of it if you're interested 🙂

just heard pete talking about shane on radio 4.

9 hours ago, Watergirl said:

Bruce's 'American Land' is almost an exact copy of 'Sally MacLennane'.  Same tune, different lyrics.

brooce is one of the best songwriters eva (lie!) so why is he ripping off others??

53 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Pair of reggae fans confused at artists using each others riddims smdh.

You don't often hear reggae fans claiming reggae bands as "best musicians of all time".

5 hours ago, Neil said:

brooce is one of the best songwriters eva (lie!) so why is he ripping off others??

The obvious point is that American Land came from the phase where he was paying tribute to old American folk artists.

Indeed, it's intentionally intended to be (and credited as) a reworking of an old folk song rather than an original composition.

11 minutes ago, incident said:

The obvious point is that American Land came from the phase where he was paying tribute to old American folk artists.

Indeed, it's intentionally intended to be (and credited as) a reworking of an old folk song rather than an original composition.

is there a story for when he ripped off kiss for outlaw pete?

Just watched shanes 60 th bash on youtube again ,sinead nailed your the one seen it loads but the love in the room for her was wonderful,then if possible even more love when nick cave brought on shane for summer in siam ,then shane doing when ya go lassie ,proper emotional.

Edited by cidy