Posters gone AWOL - until post-Glasto 23

blutarsky

Inspired by a conversation with some of the VM crew, I thought I'd create this thread - a check in spot for those who are ticketless or otherwise ruled out for 2023.

I'm personally ruled out of G23 by the anticipated arrival of Baby Blutarsky 2, a second girl, on May 18th - a bit too close for comfort. As a result I don't anticipate being on eFests very much at all until after the festival - probably around September 23 when I'm back from holiday and excitement starts building for the October (or November) sale. I do anticipate being sucked back in around May and June, when the stage splits etc are announced, and doing some midnight browsing while feeding the baby. 

Anyway, this got me thinking about other people who are forum regulars but perhaps may not be posting for similar reasons. I think the old married couple of @squirrelarmy and @Welly Boot are both ticketless and staying away until resale time and I'm sure there are many more. 

So the point of this thread is for those who are going to be MIA for some time to check in and let people know, and maybe catch up on here from time to time without risking the FOMO of hearing about Partyboi69 playing the Temple at 4am on Monday morning. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s hard to maintain the Glasto hype while ticketless but I’m popping up elsewhere on site. 

You’ll get there… there’s always a way if you’re determined enough! Good luck 😀

19 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

My involvement is definitely reduced ‘til resale, including invisible involvement (i.e. just reading).

”Mark forum as read” might as well be f5.

Would you consider volunteering as a way in if you don’t get a resale ticket?

I've been there. I did 6 Glastonburys on the trot but tickets for 2017 didn't work out for me. After 8 years of reading and lurking on these forums, I just couldn't face returning so I stayed away.

Then there was the fallow year and then I started a new relationship with other priorities and Glastonbury almost became Somebody I Used to Know. 

Whatever your reason for staying away (and the OP has a very good one) that moment comes to us all at some point. For me, G23 is now real. 7 years after I last went and I'm able to visit these forums again (new screen name). Glastonbury hurts and heals, all at the same time. You'll be back.

• Like 2

Going.. But last one.... 

Yea I DO KNOW THAT I'VE SAID IT A FEW TIMES but I really want bothered about this one.. Nice that Elton is on tho.... Seems like there's LOADS of newbies with tickets.. Seems that the old guardians can't get tickets nowadays 

Don't see so many of them on here either but that's life Jim. 

50 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Going.. But last one.... 

Yea I DO KNOW THAT I'VE SAID IT A FEW TIMES but I really want bothered about this one.. Nice that Elton is on tho.... Seems like there's LOADS of newbies with tickets.. Seems that the old guardians can't get tickets nowadays 

Don't see so many of them on here either but that's life Jim. 

You say it every single year old son!

• Thanks 1

It's definitely tough missing a year. I did it for 2016 and 2022. To be honest, though, I found it a lot easier just to stay away from here between ticket day and the festival. Definitely missed the chat, but the FOMO is too much (the year I didn't get tickets and decided to try in the resale, though - 2014 - it helped keep up the drive and momentum for those tickets).

Sorry to everyone who missed out. I've been there and it sucks. But it does wait for you to come back.

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's definitely tough missing a year. I did it for 2016 and 2022.

For what it's worth, those were the years to miss. I also skipped 2016 (despite getting tickets for it, I couldn't justify it financially) and didn't lose much sleep over the sheer carnage I avoided that year. This year's festival didn't quite 'click' for many - quite poorly managed for several reasons, some unavoidable, and a real sense of being overcrowded.

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

… This year's festival didn't quite 'click' for many - quite poorly managed for several reasons, some unavoidable, and a real sense of being overcrowded.

Definitely felt this.

Also, didn’t get tickets for next year which kept me off here. But now I’m chasing down possible volunteering options so this forum has gained a new relevance. Fingers crossed…

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

For what it's worth, those were the years to miss. I also skipped 2016 (despite getting tickets for it, I couldn't justify it financially) and didn't lose much sleep over the sheer carnage I avoided that year. This year's festival didn't quite 'click' for many - quite poorly managed for several reasons, some unavoidable, and a real sense of being overcrowded.

Yeah I've heard that about both of them. It's made me a bit wary about next year but having been ticketless since end of 2019 I'm delighted to give it a go again! 

I started going in 2008 and dreaded missing a year so much. When I failed for tickets for the 2014 festival I was devastated and did everything to get there. For 2016, though, also upset about missing out I made the decision to avoid here and focus on other festivals instead. Did a similar thing for 2022. It sucked to not go, but once you've missed one and got it over with, you do realise there are other fun things out there. And that first time back after being away is so sweet.

Definitely been avoiding this section of the form since missing out. I don't hold much hope for the resale but I think we're all happy with Rock Werchter as a back-up plan.

Every rumour of a band I'd love to see at Glastonbury is too much of a dagger to keep reading!

On 12/9/2022 at 3:17 AM, kalifire said:

Bah, only losers think like that 😛 

In all seriousness I've been devastated when I didn't succeed in the original sales and had to rely on the resale (and one particularly tense year the secret resale).  It's a big explanation for my post count being far below where it would be for others who've lingered here as long.

Tbh for me every year I've enjoyed, although I think 2007 I did pike out on Sunday as I was just sick of being wet.  I had a good time in both 2016 and 2022, the first was more bearable with a caravan, as much easier to deal with wet or muddy gear.  This year it was a welcome return after the big gap particularly because the tickets weren't secured until March by fabulous resale folks.  I avoided most of the things people said were overcrowded, the places I went weren't too bad and as I've mentioned here in the specific threads nothing I was stuck in was as frightening as in the time before the fence.

Edited by clarkete

First congratulations @blutarsky. At least the timing looks OK for future years. My second was born on July 4, 2014 and I was bricking it that she'd be early. A Birthday in festival week would have made it impossible to go, at least until she was old enough to come with me.
I didn't pay attention to the Forums in the runup, but I did watch the coverage. Would have liked to have seen Arcade Fire and Massive Attack, but I wouldn't have had a home to go back to 🙂

Missed 2019 due to being out of the country. Again, skipped the forums but watched the coverage.

If you can bring yourself to watch it will be great for those long feeding/cuddle sessions.

• Upvote 1

I'd highly recommend watching the BBC coverage if unlucky or not going. I didn't the first year I missed it as couldn't bear to, but this year I decided to dive in. I might have shed a few tears but it was lovely to somehow feel a part of it and we had a great little thread going as everyone flicked through the different feeds.

• Upvote 1

I'm not totally AWOL and probably normally go a bit quiet at this time of year.  But I've no idea if I'll be at the festival next year.  All of my usual crew have said they don't want to or can't go.  Even my husband that I've been to 18 or 19 Glastonburys with has said he wants a year off.  So I didn't get tickets and I won't go for resale.  But I have registered for Oxfam and Wateraid, but know the chances are slim as I've not volunteered before.  So who knows.  Feeling a bit flat about it all really.