Elton John: Will You Be There?

Hutchmaster

Elton John: Will You Be There?  

538 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be at the Pyramid for Elton John's Headline Performance?

• 100%: He's a must see!
    • Very, very likely: would take a lot to sway me away
    • On the fence: Wouldn't mind seeing him, but will assess options on other stages.
    • Unlikely: Might go if my crew goes/nothing else takes my fancy, but not too fussed
    • Not a chance: Will definitely be elsewhere

3 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Sir Paul honestly sounded fine on the telly. However, I've never heard anyone in my whole life miss the high notes by as much as Diana Ross (all respect to her, she is a legend) and yet all you lot said it was an insane party in the field. Elton will be fine.

Learnt a while ago that the TV never does how it sounds in the field justice.

It's something to do with what mix they chose to use on the broadcast - Geoff Barrow rants about it every year

Just now, Alcatraz said:

Learnt a while ago that the TV never does how it sounds in the field justice.

It's something to do with what mix they chose to use on the broadcast - Geoff Barrow rants about it every year

Yeah I read a really good explanation of it on here at some point a few months back. Not being music techy I had no clue but it was very interesting.

Our collective point being though that in the field it is something else, and Elton will be AMAZING.

I'm also excited about his outfits never mind his singing.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Well it's a bit daft basing your weekend round a YouTube clip. Keith Richards can't play guitar any more either, but it didn't stop the Stones being phenomenal.

I wasn't really, it was mainly an excuse to post that clip, because it was the most joyful thing to come out of the pandemic.  I absolutely love it. But there is a serious point - is the performance actually going to be any good or not? I know there's going to be crowd and all that, but it does matter whether the actual show is good or not.  Obviously, the clip I posted isn't representative, any more than digging out an old clip of Macca struggling with Maybe I'm Amazed is. 

I'll check out the Disney video, although I wouldn't be surprised if it included pitch "assistance". 

The other point is that although his 70s catalogue is untouchable, the rest of his career - not so much.  I expect I'll probably be there all things considered. 

100,000 people belting out some of the biggest pop songs ever written? It’s a no brainer it’ll go down a storm. 

Everyone’s seen how poor Ian Brown’s voice is on clips - I couldn’t hear a thing at Heaton Park in 2012 as the crowd sang every word for him. 

39 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Surely Sir Paul put to rest the "If their voice isn't as good as it used to be, you won't have a good time" chat? Poor annunciation or not, it's gonna be a rollicking good time. Reg has got 100,000 backing vocalists who will do much of the heavy lifting.

Paul was great, but his voice wasn't too bad all things considering.

Diana Ross on the other hand is an example of someone whose voice was gone and it made for a fairly tragic set.

I don't think Elton will be as bad as she was, but GnR could be...

People saying about TV and real life. In 2013, my mates at home raved about AM being awesome on the TV and how bad the Stones were. Where we were stood AM were terrible live and Stones were incredible. Says a lot about atmosphere, that's for sure.

27 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Will be nowhere near, unless someone knocks me out and drags me there.

Would love to know who the other 8 (so far) are.

I'm one of them. Think it's a great booking for the festival and genuinely delighted for those who want to see him. It's just not my bag so I'll defo be elsewhere as will my 5 mates. This will only be my 4th Glastonbury and I've spent a total of 20 mins at the big pointy stage to date (ELO 2016, left because I was bored). That's the beauty of this festival, different strokes for different folks. 

19 minutes ago, Stanton said:

I'm one of them. Think it's a great booking for the festival and genuinely delighted for those who want to see him. It's just not my bag so I'll defo be elsewhere as will my 5 mates. This will only be my 4th Glastonbury and I've spent a total of 20 mins at the big pointy stage to date (ELO 2016, left because I was bored). That's the beauty of this festival, different strokes for different folks. 

That seems really strange to me. 4 Glastonbury's and of all the diverse acts they've had on, there's not been at least one you're interested in?

Just now, Justcalledtosay said:

That seems really strange to me. 4 Glastonbury's and of all the diverse acts they've had on, there's not been at least one you're interested in?

Pyramid has got the absolute worst atmosphere of Glastonbury.

For afternoon acts it's full of chair w*nkers taking up loads of space and for the evening acts it's pure mayhem.

At any time it's got chaotic traffic passing through from John peel / other stage / Williams green all merging