Mendip Council - Scrutiny of 2022 festival

stephos83

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Wet Let, TLC and The Sugababes were the main problems this year rather than secret sets, weren't they?

George Ezra was a bit of a mess too when people were still pushing to go and the field was closed...

For Worthy View I suggest a nice slide to go down. With a system that uses the weight of the person going down to pull someone up. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 5:19 PM, Leyrulion said:

I am astounded that the risk assessment didn't already consider the "potential pull of the artists". 

That explains a huge amount if it's not actually a thing that they've formally monitored before.

All the fields have different teams of bookers I believe. There must be some overarching oversight but I suspect it's not as strong as it could be...

On 11/14/2022 at 5:31 PM, Leyrulion said:

3.2- to consider whether crowd densities could be better distributed across site

Is interesting as there's a tension between effectively putting people in the SE corner to reduce the noise and that getting too busy. Would love to see more late night stuff spread out on other stages (I've said before but it's bonkers that something like BBC introducing tent is closed by 8pm)

9.1- It is recommended that Building Control officers continue to liaise with Festival representatives throughout the year to discuss any issues regarding stability of structures and venues. Engagement with the festival liaison meetings at an earlier stage may help to resolve any issues regarding siting/relocation of existing venues or structures and the introduction of new structures

Interesting, suggests building control were not happy with something at quite a late stage- I wonder if it's related to genosys (did building control kibosh the mouldy stage?) Or Arcadia?

Ooh- that is interesting! Clearly replacing Genosys with a bus was not the original plan...

5 hours ago, LeeHC said:

Ooh- that is interesting! Clearly replacing Genosys with a bus was not the original plan...

5 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I guess it depends how much damage has been caused and if a jet wash will sort it 

If they couldn't get sign off this year it suggests some more intensive intervention is needed, depends if they've got the money.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else attend the meeting online?

It was interesting, nice to hear there’s a working party looking at drugs testing on site, the loop were mentioned. 

The overcrowding at Arcadia and Williams green was discussed and residents complains heard about the noise.. though the noise levels weren’t beached significantly it seems.  

The council officers seemed confident the recommendations in the scrutiny report would give GFL areas to focus on for 2023 but there was an acknowledgment that it was a process of continual improvement as the festival evolves year to year and new issues mean new tweaks to how it’s managed and they aren’t likely to get it spot on every year.
There were lots of positive comments about how well run it was and the amount of collaboration in the multi agency group who oversee it.  

Don’t think anyone from GFL spoke though I think there were representatives there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Pipine said:

It was interesting, nice to hear there’s a working party looking at drugs testing on site, the loop were mentioned.

Brilliant, long overdue and should be mandatory at festivals.

17 minutes ago, Pipine said:

and residents complains heard about the noise.. though the noise levels weren’t beached significantly it seems.  

What are they on about, was possibly the quietest ever heard at the main stages.

On 11/15/2022 at 12:41 AM, giantkatestacks said:

In the first report this: With regard to offsite impacts in Pilton and other nearby urban areas within the northern compass quadrant, noise levels were not dissimilar to 2019, and the issue remained that the noise levels or loudness did not drop away significantly at 00.30 after the main stages finished. The fall off beyond this time until all venues ceased at 6am was at best, gradual. Given the significant numbers of people on site and the noise generating infrastructure involved in maintaining the site, a significant drop in noise level would not be expected to occur, however the high contribution of music noise and risk of bass beat adverse effects in 2022 and previously, strengthens the Council’s viewpoint that more consideration needs to be invested to control the music noise.

We are camped up near the farmhouse and it is mostly whatever The Beat Hotel has turned into - it just needs re-siting further into Silver Hayes

One of my favourite places on site but there’s no need for it to be so removed from silver Hayes other than maybe sound bleed to other big silver Hayes stages (sonic and lonely hearts).

it’s just a pain in the arse where it is, and causes problems post pyramid churn.

On 11/15/2022 at 6:37 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

Mildly surprised not to see anything about the bigger than normal queues for food this year. Unless it was my memory playing tricks on me.

Where were the queues? I ate really well and often this year and don’t think I queued for longer than 3 minutes.

12 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

One of my favourite places on site but there’s no need for it to be so removed from silver Hayes other than maybe sound bleed to other big silver Hayes stages (sonic and lonely hearts).

it’s just a pain in the arse where it is, and causes problems post pyramid churn.

I was camped up by the farm in recycle crew camping and it did seem unusually loud one night, Sunday I think.. fully expected the sound levels to drop a bit at some point and become background noise but it was loud and clear all night.. I suspect that was San Remo.

1 hour ago, Pipine said:

Anyone else attend the meeting online?

The overcrowding at Arcadia and Williams green was discussed and residents complains heard about the noise.. though the noise levels weren’t beached significantly it seems.  

The council officers seemed confident the recommendations in the scrutiny report would give GFL areas to focus on for 2023 but there was an acknowledgment that it was a process of continual improvement as the festival evolves year to year and new issues mean new tweaks to how it’s managed and they aren’t likely to get it spot on every year.
There were lots of positive comments about how well run it was and the amount of collaboration in the multi agency group who oversee it.  

Don’t think anyone from GFL spoke though I think there were representatives there.

Surprised we've not heard anything about Macca going on past curfew. Could have sworn they got fined every minute past 12.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

They should just pay for everyone in Pilton that doesn't attend the festival to go on holiday for a week, then crank up the volume. Problem solved.

If I was a Pilton resident and not into the festival, I'd rent out my place and go on holiday.

3 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Surprised we've not heard anything about Macca going on past curfew. Could have sworn they got fined every minute past 12.

Nobody is fining anybody for Macca going past curfew... Nobody tells a beatle when they can and can't sing! 🙈😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Skip997 said:

If I was a Pilton resident and not into the festival, I'd rent out my place and go on holiday.

100% but probably only to people I trust. The rental would easily pay for a tremendous holiday. 

Of Pilton's 1000 or so residents, I wonder how many attend and how many despise the festival.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

100% but probably only to people I trust. The rental would easily pay for a tremendous holiday. 

Of Pilton's 1000 or so residents, I wonder how many attend and how many despise the festival.

Given its been going 50 years now probably 99% of people who lived there before the festival have started have gone. Imo if you moved there after the festival started (so knowingly) you have no right to complain.

• Upvote 2