Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

Well they’re one hell of a lot closer to Metallica than they are to Diana Ross, Kylie and Dolly Parton, aren’t they?

In genre yes. In terms of number of singalong anthems (the criteria I’ve been using for the legends slot), then they’re far closer to dolly kylie etc

7 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

In genre yes. In terms of number of singalong anthems (the criteria I’ve been using for the legends slot), then they’re far closer to dolly kylie etc

I think the average music fan who wasn’t into guns and roses when they were a kid, would probably be able to sing along to sweet child of mine and maybe November rain. I doubt a lot of people would know many more than that. They might recognise a couple more, but they wouldn’t know the words.

Whereas for the vast majority of people pretty much every Kylie song ever written would’ve been completely unavoidable.

Edited by Jose Pose
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jose Pose said:

I think the average music fan who wasn’t into guns and roses when they were a kid, would probably be able to sing along to sweet child of mine and maybe November rain. I doubt a lot of people would know many more than that.

Whereas for the vast majority of people pretty much every Kylie song ever written would’ve been completely unavoidable.

Welcome to the jungle, live and let die? I can’t stand GnR but know pretty much every word to at least 4 of their songs.

Was every song by Geoff Lynne and ELO completely unavoidable? Mr blue sky maybe (some would say not even that qualifies). The rest of their music, nah, GnR are much more recognisable 

1 minute ago, tigger123 said:

Welcome to the jungle, live and let die? I can’t stand GnR but know pretty much every word to at least 4 of their songs.

Was every song by Geoff Lynne and ELO completely unavoidable? Mr blue sky maybe (some would say not even that qualifies). The rest of their music, nah, GnR are much more recognisable 

And ELO are largely regarded as having been a terrible booking for the slot and fell very flat. I can’t comment as I didn’t see them, but they’re the only legend I’ve missed since I’ve been going which tells its own story.

I had great fun at Dianna Ross despite her performance actually being terrible. I was surprised at just how many bangers she had and I knew every single one, despite never actively listening to her music.

3 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

And ELO are largely regarded as having been a terrible booking for the slot and fell very flat. I can’t comment as I didn’t see them, but they’re the only legend I’ve missed since I’ve been going which tells its own story.

I had great fun at Dianna Ross despite her performance actually being terrible. I was surprised at just how many bangers she had and I knew every single one, despite never actively listening to her music.

I wasn’t there either, chose to avoid. That’s not the point though, the point is they were still booked for the slot

31 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Don’t take the piss without coming up with a solid argument to disprove my argument 

I already have, but let me try again.

The Legends Slot is for the sort of act where you'd buy your mum a CD of their greatest hits for a Mother's Day present. 

As others have said, to turn it into something else would turn it into something less special and more like what every single other festival on the planet offers.

3 hours ago, tigger123 said:

There are few more nostalgic songs than sweet child of mine. Played at basically every wedding, everyone gets their air guitar out etc, I think they fill the legend slot brief pretty perfectly.

I’m not convinced they will do the legend slot to be clear but having initially dismissed it as a possibility, the more I think about it, the more I think they would be a good fit for it, especially as them being a headliner just doesn’t feel quite right to me (and others based on some of the comments on this thread)

Regardless of whether any of us think GnR are a good fit for Glasto, the fact remains that if they play any festival in the world, they headline, period.

46 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Legends Slot is for the sort of act where you'd buy your mum a CD of their greatest hits for a Mother's Day present. 

As others have said, to turn it into something else would turn it into something less special and more like what every single other festival on the planet offers.

Have Simply Red ever played? 

51 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Legends Slot is for the sort of act where you'd buy your mum a CD of their greatest hits for a Mother's Day present

Praying they really pull it out the bag and get Joni Mitchell

that’d be life affirming

1 hour ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

Praying they really pull it out the bag and get Joni Mitchell

that’d be life affirming

I'd love this. I have a ticket to the show in Washington in early June, and I'm almost in tears when I think about that.  But somehow I think the logistics of a glasto show are probably not in the cards.  Joni isnt going to sing without Brandi and a host of others on stage supporting her; she just isn't up to a doing a full show on her own.   It's possible there's a Brandi/Joni Jam at glasto yes - but really really unlikely. 

5 hours ago, tigger123 said:

They’re hardly Metallica are they? They are cheesy rock. If any rock or metal head said my fave band is GnR they would be laughed at by people from that scene

Hiya!

Stop being fucking ridiculous. Sweet Child and November Rain may be cheesy but come on, Nightrain, Mr Brownstone, It's So Easy, Out Ta Get Me.... 

6 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

ELO were musically one of the best bands I've seen at Glastonbury and like a 4th headliner for me on a weekend where I loved all three main headliners (my one and only clean sweep). But atmosphere wise it was nothing compared to Lionel/Kylie type Legend Slot acts. 

13 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Actually I am 45 and female and I do know many women my age who are Mums who would definitely like a G n R greatest hits album for Mother’s Day and I say that as someone who wouldn’t be at all interested myself in seeing G n R if they were to play (mainly because Axl Rose is so awful). Slash in the slot before the legend slot in 2010 went down a treat. 

We do have to accept that as time marches on that the Mother’s Day test will start to look very different.