2024 Headliners

10 hours ago, goonerben said:

Dua Lipa is performing at the Grammys (and possibly also winning a couple) on 4th February.  I’d expect a tour announcement around then, lots of publicity from the Grammys to help sell tickets - all in time for the Glastonbury lineup drop in early March?

That rogue sentence in today’s article, reads to me like the last sentence of a press release where they are NOT announcing Dua Lipa, but ARE giving some kind of (maybe lineup related) update - and that is part of a “notes to editors” footnote/tease.  

The more I think about this, the more I think it points towards a Stevie Wonder announcement, sooner rather than later.

They clearly weren't intending to announce Dua Lipa with that sentence in an article - but allude to her instead.  And I think we know that announcing Coldplay by themselves would be met with considerable groaning. 

That leaves Stevie - after several years away and with a BST show to sell, could it be that his "return" is announced to be headlining Glasto, which generates lots of publicity and a love-in from the BBC, after which they announce a BST show "due to public demand"?

14 hours ago, ProperTea said:

That was a poor rags link from months ago now.

12 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Indeed. Suggests nothing coming in the short term.

I think she's going to do a September tour that will be announced after the Glastonbury resale and the show will be used to help sell. She's not selling in my opinion a stadium tour instantly.

11 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

She follows, likes and re-tweets several right-wing nazi sympathisers and accounts that post coded neo-nazi propaganda and memes.

She sometimes posts/retweets the barely coded neo-nazi memes herself, then quickly deletes them.

There's plenty of screenshots on reddit threads.

Seems more like an alt-right troll doing it for kicks than someone who's going to get a swastika tattooed on her, but still....

f**k her off, no time for that myself. There is no defending it.

10 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Believe it was mooted here earlier in the thread about Dua Lipa struggling to shift those Future Nostalgia arena dates the other year. I think, statistically, they were all sell-outs in the end, but I've also no idea how much fudging there was to make that official. (I've definitely been to arena shows which have reported a "sold-out" boxscore through Billboard, but were clearly boasting a few hundred empty seats in noticeable patches, to say the least.)

I'm more surprised she's not taking the approach of an arena run this year and then onto stadiums in 2025. Despite those streaming figures, despite all those hit singles... just wouldn't put her on the stadium level right now. Happy to be proven imminently wrong, I'm sure, but I can't picture this being more than two or three dates.

Tickets were easy to get until late. Bands even like BMTH announced and sold out easily compared who won't be doing stadium dates.

I think streamed is easy to look at but I'm more interested in physical sales. I streamed some music this week that I won't go and see, but it was there to check out. 

20 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nah. BST still need to shift the Stevie tickets. Folk will think there's no point in going if everyone can see him on TV two days earlier.

Why not just watch any show on TV then?

If Dua is playing stadiums, surely we're talking the smaller ones like Ashton Gate, Keepmoat, etc?

Despite her streaming popularity, I can't see her selling out the likes of Spurs, Old Trafford, Hampden, etc.

As discussed many times before, streaming stats are not a good scale for live popularity. I can't recall having ever seen a stan account online for Dua Lipa. Don't get me wrong, I love Dua and I'd love to see a new artist hit that stadium level, but I can just see a lot of "competitions" being run for tickets if she announces stadiums.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

She follows, likes and re-tweets several right-wing nazi sympathisers and accounts that post coded neo-nazi propaganda and memes.

She sometimes posts/retweets the barely coded neo-nazi memes herself, then quickly deletes them.

There's plenty of screenshots on reddit threads.

Seems more like an alt-right troll doing it for kicks than someone who's going to get a swastika tattooed on her, but still....

Any actual evidence? Everyone is getting called a racist these days for supporting Palestine. 

36 minutes ago, northernangel said:

That was a poor rags link from months ago now.

I think she's going to do a September tour that will be announced after the Glastonbury resale and the show will be used to help sell. She's not selling in my opinion a stadium tour instantly.

If she’s doing a stadium tour, it’s clearly not happening in September. 🤦‍♂️😂

2 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Just wondered if Tool have been considered? Current tour ends on the 27th June in Europe.

I think the consensus is that they want f**king loads of money and won’t bother turning up unless there is a guarantee of receiving f**king loads of money. 

Edited by On The Blend

Why do people keep quoting the Daily Mail as if it's got any insight worth mentioning?

Just in the last 2 months -

Girls Aloud are playing the Legends Slot

Bruce Springsteen is headlining the Pyramid Stage

Cher is playing the Legends Slot

(then the very next day) Chaka Khan or Shania Twain are playing the legends slot

They'll publish any old bullshit and get it wrong far more often than most.

• Upvote 1

so, just want to make sure I've got the days right in my head. Based on the current rumours and speculation are we looking like....

Friday: Stevie Wonder

Saturday: Dua Lipa

Sunday: Coldplay

and the reasoning behind that is we have heard from a couple of different sources that it is Stevie + we think he will also be announced for BST on the Sunday which makes him Friday. 

The accidentally released bit at the bottom of the tweet yesterday likely pointed to Dua Lipa because it said "Artist" rather than band/group.

Meaning Coldplay (if it is them, but they have a Glasto shaped hole and seem the most likely candidate) would have to be Sunday.

Interesting to note that Dua Lipa's 2020 livestream concert was produced by Block 9:

https://www.block9.com/work#/dua-lipa-studio-2054/

Glastonbury Festival’s Emily Eavis told the BBC “I absolutely loved Dua Lipa's one (livestream). It was designed by the team behind Block9, one of our late-night areas, and it really captured that proper club feel. It had us dancing around in the living room, by the fire. It really set the bar for live streams, I think, and I heard 5 million people tuned in, which is huge”

Edited by ProperTea

6 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

so, just want to make sure I've got the days right in my head. Based on the current rumours and speculation are we looking like....

Friday: Stevie Wonder

Saturday: Dua Lipa

Sunday: Coldplay

and the reasoning behind that is we have heard from a couple of different sources that it is Stevie + we think he will also be announced for BST on the Sunday which makes him Friday. 

The accidentally released bit at the bottom of the tweet yesterday likely pointed to Dua Lipa because it said "Artist" rather than band/group.

Meaning Coldplay (if it is them, but they have a Glasto shaped hole and seem the most likely candidate) would have to be Sunday.

Coldplay and Dua were also predicted by @roughblokewho was spot on last year . Dua  I think has been suggested by @adequate8 along with day @adequate8

Edited by Crazyfool01
Sorry for double tag
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BeddyDriver said:

Is there any reason the speculation has backed away from Emily`s previous 2 female headliner statement ??   Ariana Grande is up there with the big streamers and been mooted in the past ? Is there a reason she isnt being considered ?

My take, and it is only an idea, is that Emily's comments were what they wanted aspirationaly and was maybe on the table at one point, but nothing had been signed and in the end it isn't this year.

She never said it was happening just that that it was something that might happen. 

3 minutes ago, BeddyDriver said:

well I'm not buying into the Stevie thing, just doesn't sit right for me.

Same here. With Bruce I had the same feeling, but want it to be him because I really like him, but really there are a few of these great headliners from the last 20 years that are a “one and done” and Stevie was one of those in my opinion. The one that tried to do it twice was The Who and that second appearance should be a cautionary tale for the festival and the performers.