2023 Ticket Price Confirmed

Dukeicon

I’d quite like to know specifically what additional costs the last festivals increases have covered.

If it was accompanied by a reduction in capacity it would be understandable, but last year also saw an increase in attendance (to the point of being a bit over full at times).

So yeah. If its gone up 30 odd % in two festivals, you’d kind of want an improved experience, for me that would mean a slightly lower attendance.

Otherwise if its just down to a one off increase in costs because of the pandemic, the ticket price should go back down after those one off costs are covered.

20 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Think we will have some very big names this year to help justify the price rise. Eminem and guns n roses suddenly seem more realistic possibilities. Got a feeling its gonna be an epic festival next year.

These cost increases are literally likely to have been to keep the current level of quality on offer the same, I wouldn't expect anything above and beyond what has been on offer previously. Inflation is real and effects different comodities and services differently 

Further to this - If the price hike has been 19/26% (vs 2022/2019 purchase point) - how much do we reckon everything on site will be hiked by? 

Food for a Fiver feels doomed 

27 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Think we will have some very big names this year to help justify the price rise. Eminem and guns n roses suddenly seem more realistic possibilities. Got a feeling its gonna be an epic festival next year.

Hope so.  Last one for me (hopefully) as we plan to focus on smaller festivals after one more round 🙂

14 hours ago, clarkete said:

Ah, I tried to ensure the note at the bottom was fully included. 

It was from here, as I'm lazy and not clever enough to work out compound interest over the intervening years. 

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

I think it is then, cheers

23 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I’d quite like to know specifically what additional costs the last festivals increases have covered.

If it was accompanied by a reduction in capacity it would be understandable, but last year also saw an increase in attendance (to the point of being a bit over full at times).

So yeah. If its gone up 30 odd % in two festivals, you’d kind of want an improved experience, for me that would mean a slightly lower attendance.

Otherwise if its just down to a one off increase in costs because of the pandemic, the ticket price should go back down after those one off costs are covered.

Theyre not going to drop the price of the festival after the currant financial crisis goes away. Nobody does that. Thats a horrible strategy. It either stays the same or it will increase at a smaller increment. But its not going down.

How can the festival have bigger names at the top when they dont pay anyone anything. When you have to pay headliners a fifth of their real value, youre not just gonna offer the next artist up an extra £10k and say "fancy a night on the pyramid?". If Reading truly paid Arctics as much as was rumored, how does Glasto compete with that when it comes to anyone in general.

Edited by Suprefan

9 hours ago, March Hare said:

BBC quote “Festival-goers will be charged £335 plus a £5 booking fee for standard tickets, plus a £50 deposit.”

Wait what? That's wrong isn't it? I thought the deposit was part of the total cost.

8 hours ago, MichaelsBeard said:

People have always said ‘it isn’t as good as it used to be’. 

If your group was disappointed I doubt very much that was the general consensus. 

I didn't go this year but I've never read as much negativity on here about the festival as I did this year. It was thread after thread of people saying it was overcrowded and the vibe was off.

As I say I wasn't there so have no idea, but it wasn't just that poster's group.

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Now the ticket price has shot up hopefully they’ll have a re-think of what’s on offer entertainment wise on the Thursday.

£340 to be penned in a certain area of the festival due to some mad hatter programming things which quite clearly will attract huge amounts of people when there’s nothing to spread the crowds out elsewhere on site similar to what we had this year certainly won’t be palatable.

Unless that extra money is going on a license extension I suspect you'll be disappointed.

30 minutes ago, leath02 said:

These cost increases are literally likely to have been to keep the current level of quality on offer the same, I wouldn't expect anything above and beyond what has been on offer previously. Inflation is real and effects different comodities and services differently 

Further to this - If the price hike has been 19/26% (vs 2022/2019 purchase point) - how much do we reckon everything on site will be hiked by? 

Slop for a Sixer in 2023.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I didn't go this year but I've never read as much negativity on here about the festival as I did this year. It was thread after thread of people saying it was overcrowded and the vibe was off.

As I say I wasn't there so have no idea, but it wasn't just that poster's group.

That crowd control issues thread that's just been resurrected was where I read a lot of the negative stuff.

It won't stop me from trying and if I'm lucky I'll make my own opinions next year! Looked good on the telly. Does sound like there were some crowd control issues but some definitely thought it was worse than others and the debate went on for a good few weeks.

32 minutes ago, leath02 said:

Yeah - that seems pretty black and white. Everyone's cost of living is going up, but just cos your mortgage is increasing it doesn't mean you get given a nice new house.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, leath02 said:

I think the actual costs incurred when at the festival for five days is being overlooked. Generally, I think it's fair to say that although £55 is not an insignificant increase for the ticket, most people can afford the hike, thanks to the deposit scheme and having six months to potentially spread the cost/budget accordingly. The real stinger is going to be food, drink and other costs. We've got to be looking at £7-£7.50 a pint for 2023, haven't we? 

I wonder how much the fees will be to setup a food van? We may lose one or two favourite spots if the costs become non-viable. 

Will we see an marked increase in people bringing a lot more food and drink in? This would obviously have an impact on bar/food truck takings. 

There's so much to unpack here with the increases, it has a huge effect in so many areas, not just the ticket price.

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The real stinger is going to be food, drink and other costs. We've got to be looking at £7-£7.50 a pint for 2023, haven't we? 

I wonder how much the fees will be to setup a food van? We may lose one or two favourite spots if the costs become non-viable. 

Will we see an marked increase in people bringing a lot more food and drink in? This would obviously have an impact on bar/food truck takings. 

There's so much to unpack here with the increases, it has a huge effect in so many areas, not just the ticket price.

I was thinking about the exact same thing last night

The thought being that If I do end up going I will likely for the first time ever bring almost all my food in to claw back some of the price hike money (and have 0 bar drinks)

Which is unfortunate as the venders will suffer as a result. I wonder how many others are thinking similar

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think the actual costs incurred when at the festival for five days is being overlooked. Generally, I think it's fair to say that although £55 is not an insignificant increase for the ticket, most people can afford the hike, thanks to the deposit scheme and having six months to potentially spread the cost/budget accordingly. The real stinger is going to be food, drink and other costs. We've got to be looking at £7-£7.50 a pint for 2023, haven't we? 

This is a good point. Everything is going to be a lot more expensive and people's wages aren't going to go up in tandem. People often say "oh you can bring your own booze and food to Glastonbury" but only if you're driving. And I'm not sure how practical it is to make every single meal yourself.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah this is exactly the point I'm making. Will be markedly more expensive one you're inside those gates for sure

However I think we were all expecting more expensive prices that we were greeted with this year, so mayb Emily and Michael will keep true to keeping stuff relatively affordable on site, and absorbing that is perhaps part and parcel of the increase in ticket price

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is a good point. Everything is going to be a lot more expensive and people's wages aren't going to go up in tandem. People often say "oh you can bring your own booze and food to Glastonbury" but only if you're driving. And I'm not sure how practical it is to make every single meal yourself.

Of course you can bring some booze on the coach but you are very limited really. I usually just bring a bottle of spirits now.

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That crowd control issues thread that's just been resurrected was where I read a lot of the negative stuff.

It won't stop me from trying and if I'm lucky I'll make my own opinions next year! Looked good on the telly. Does sound like there were some crowd control issues but some definitely thought it was worse than others and the debate went on for a good few weeks.

I didn't read much of the threads around overcrowding etc and absolutely everyone I know who went had one for the ages. Sure, there were some bottlenecks, particularly on the Sunday but the atmosphere was on point, as always. There is always going to be a small group that don't feel it or have a less happy experience, and that's fine, I'm not one of those who think every year is amazing and the festival can do no wrong, but 2022 felt like a really strong year. 

2023 will be exactly the same, despite what this thread is discussing. Sure, it's going to cost more, but the vast majority of attendees will have the time of their lives and again, post-June, a small group will highlight the issues that made it not so enjoyable. And that's ok.

Stages changing, new acts headlining, costs increasing, increased security measures, younger demographic attending, it's all part of the evolution of the festival. It won't be for everyone, and sometimes there'll be people who've been attending for many years who call it a day. Nothing lasts forever.