ticketmaster dynamic pricing uk

brettredmayne

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Pretty sure when European tours go on sale that they're staggered to relevant local times - so 9am local for France or Italy becomes 8am here.

But maybe I'm wrong, or indeed it could be artist specific where some do it staggered and some go for an everything all at once approach.

I think that it’s done by venue in some Countries. Was looking at Springsteen tickets in Italy and they went on sale at different dates

4 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

nice to see Tom understanding the situation for people. 

He is young enough to notice and taking the time to be involved. Now tell Taylor and Beyonce to care and maybe change can be made. Thats going to make this week with AM, DM and Muse look like a picnic. I wont be shocked at $5,000 platinum tickets for the front for either.

57 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

He is young enough to notice and taking the time to be involved. Now tell Taylor and Beyonce to care and maybe change can be made. Thats going to make this week with AM, DM and Muse look like a picnic. I wont be shocked at $5,000 platinum tickets for the front for either.

Taylors private jet fuel costs don't pay for themselves 

• Like 1

Grennan's pricing is also smart in that he's not necessarily an arena filler and the tour's a little ambitious for him, but at £30ish a ticket nowadays a lot of casual fans would take a punt on it who might only know a couple of songs.

We've swung so far into ridiculous pricing that I can definitely see cheap ticket pricing being used as a marketing tool by a lot of mid level acts moving forward now Paul Heaton and Tom have done it: it's good optics, might get some viral posts on socials and press attention, and fills venues up.

2 hours ago, jannybruck said:

Grennan's pricing is also smart in that he's not necessarily an arena filler and the tour's a little ambitious for him, but at £30ish a ticket nowadays a lot of casual fans would take a punt on it who might only know a couple of songs.

We've swung so far into ridiculous pricing that I can definitely see cheap ticket pricing being used as a marketing tool by a lot of mid level acts moving forward now Paul Heaton and Tom have done it: it's good optics, might get some viral posts on socials and press attention, and fills venues up.

Definitely - o2 for him is very very ambitious i think! I reckon if he did ally pally it wouldn't be an instant sell out and thats half the size

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Sick to death of this bollocks about it being designed to beat the touts. It's designed to make them the touts!!!

At least proper touts have to put a shift in outside the venue on a night!! I actually have more respect for them. Plenty of ways to beat touts that don't involve Ticketmaster massively inflating prices to make extra profits for themselves. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, jannybruck said:

First time I saw Slowthai he did a small venue tour for 99p, when he moved to academy venues it was a fiver.

21 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Sick to death of this bollocks about it being designed to beat the touts. It's designed to make them the touts!!!

At least proper touts have to put a shift in outside the venue on a night!! I actually have more respect for them. Plenty of ways to beat touts that don't involve Ticketmaster massively inflating prices to make extra profits for themselves. 

Yeah, make artists play more shows. Every artists needs to do mini residencies at every tour stop to oversaturate the market.

37 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Yeah, make artists play more shows. Every artists needs to do mini residencies at every tour stop to oversaturate the market.

Simpler than that Kate Bush managed it 8 years ago just by making you have id. Glastonbury manage it every year. Only accept resales from legitimate face value resale sites. 

26 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I appreciate the mainstream attention but I can’t help but laugh at these artists patting themselves on the back for keeping their gigs £30. Obviously it’s easier for them because their tickets aren’t flying off the shelves. There are probably only a handful of acts in the world that can get away with dynamic pricing, and yes they should be scrutinised, but it’s not an issue I can see going away tbh. It will always cost the most to see the acts who are most in demand. I’m not sure what can be done about that.

Edited by Matt42

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I appreciate the mainstream attention but I can’t help but laugh at these artists patting themselves on the back for keeping their gigs £30. Obviously it’s easier for them because their tickets aren’t flying off the shelves. There are probably only a handful of acts in the world that can get away with dynamic pricing, and yes they should be scrutinised, but it’s not an issue I can see going away tbh. It will always cost the most to see the acts who are most in demand. I’m not sure what can be done about that.

Any act can get away with it really. For instance i got tickets for Fred Again in december, 3 nights a brixton so not a huge act but people were paying £200+ off resale sites. Could easily get away with it

Megafans from my experience always just blame the management and not the artist themself who is pretty much always aware of whats going on anyway.

Even smaller acts there are some people who will just pay silly money for the tickets, just look at viagogo for a 1k capacity sold out show and you will see the prices are at least double fv

Just now, gfa said:

Any act can get away with it really. For instance i got tickets for Fred Again in december, 3 nights a brixton so not a huge act but people were paying £200+ off resale sites. Could easily get away with it

Megafans from my experience always just blame the management and not the artist themself who is pretty much always aware of whats going on anyway.

Even smaller acts there are some people who will just pay silly money for the tickets, just look at viagogo for a 1k capacity sold out show and you will see the prices are at least double fv

Again you’ve listed an act who is madly in demand right now and very popular. Fred Again is probably one of the biggest acts in electronic music right now.

33 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think that attitude absolves the artist of a lot of responsibility. Kate Bush was probably the most in demand show in decades. I saw so many celebrities even saying they were stuck in ticket queues just like normal fans and yet she took measures to actively stop touting. At some point as an artist you have to have some personal integrity and say I am making enough of a living from my music I need to make sure my fans aren't treated badly. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Only a few acts can "get away" with doing it in Stadiums. But any Stadium act can get away with it by doing arenas. Any arena act can get away with it by doing large academies. You'd be surprised at how many acts can sell out gigs within 24 hours. 

Heaton is on the other side of things, the tickets aren't selling out in minutes because they're playing much larger venues than they have in past.

I think there's some conflation here between dynamic pricing and tiered pricing. Tiered pricing has been common in the US for pretty much ever - golden circle and seats near the front cost more, regular standing and seats at the back cost less.

We've never really gone in for that in Europe for music gigs (even though if you've ever seen anything in the West End or at a large theatre you'll be quite familiar with it). We are seeing it creep in more and more now, often not openly - oh look all the front row seats just happen to have been snapped up by touts before the sale even started and are on resale sites. What a shame. 

Dynamic pricing is different, as it's where the price even within those brackets changes based on demand. It's just Ticketmaster doing that right now.

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think there's some conflation here between dynamic pricing and tiered pricing. Tiered pricing has been common in the US for pretty much ever - golden circle and seats near the front cost more, regular standing and seats at the back cost less.

We've never really gone in for that in Europe for music gigs (even though if you've ever seen anything in the West End or at a large theatre you'll be quite familiar with it). We are seeing it creep in more and more now, often not openly - oh look all the front row seats just happen to have been snapped up by touts before the sale even started and are on resale sites. What a shame. 

Dynamic pricing is different, as it's where the price even within those brackets changes based on demand. It's just Ticketmaster doing that right now.

I don't mind to a certain extent the tiered pricing (although some artists take the piss with it) but I do think that when a tour is announced the pricing ranges should also be announced and popularity on the day shouldn't influence it. It's just simple transparency for fans. One of the people I go to gigs with isn't always available to talk to on sale day so we end up having to ask what's the max he is willing to spend in advance. It shouldn't be like that other things with hype still tell you the price in advance. You don't have the new iPhone is going on sale on Wednesday and when the shops open you'll find out how much it costs. 

42 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Again you’ve listed an act who is madly in demand right now and very popular. Fred Again is probably one of the biggest acts in electronic music right now.

Shit comparison from me in fairness but take an act like Inhaler who i'm seeing in a few weeks. Playing at roundhouse, done most medium/large festivals this summer so plenty of chances for people to see them. A pair of tickets triple FV on viagogo - and thats for a show that didn't even sell out instantly like most shows tend to.

If an artist wants to turn on demand ticketing nobody is going to stop them, sure they might not be selling 1000s of tickets at double retail like harry styles or someone is, but all tickets over face value are pure profit (bar whatever TM takes)

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Quite a few of Depeche Mode's European dates had tiered pricing for the pitch.  Berlin for example had 3 zones on the pitch.

I bought some tickets for their London date at £85 on O2 presale. Out of curiosity I looked on Friday and they were up to £131 which is ridiculous.  We bought some for Warsaw that were £65 each including postage (etickets weren't available).  So similar to what anotherb poster said given the price of accommodation in London you'd be cheaper going to Warsaw!  

Was looking at getting Robbie Williams tickets as a Christmas present. For Manchester Ticketmaster seem to have different prices for the Wednesday compared to the Friday/Saturday?! £64 each has become £109 each.

Not reseller tickets so assume this is dynamic pricing. Absolutely loads of seats available in the higher bands so not working too well.