Boomtown Chapter 2: The Twin Trials

a6l6e6x

The trek remains.... but I guess there's always the stairs. Weather looks good, possible showers over Sat night - vague threats on Monday but that's still a fair way out and trend has been favourable.

Word on ground is it's pretty sticky in some of the intense vehicle movement areas but generally OK and drying, should be fine if there's no more proper rain.

Final weather update - looking pretty good. Slight threat of Sat/Sun showers remains but promising. Temps around where they are today so all very tolerable.

Word on ground is basically dry, some muck in chewed up areas but it's drying. Next report from the site itself.

Diagramme GEFS

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2023 at 10:41 PM, Metal Monkey said:

Never heard of him before the line up came out, makes me feel very old!

m guessing it's  someone who's played before, but under a different name.

That was on par with glasto for me this year

story was a lot easier to engage with and was extremely fun. Probably the funniest weekend of my life thanks to the actors 

I find the relentless dnb a bit tiresome after a little while but my group did want to spend a lot of time at origin

lucked out with the weather big time, was very good in the end

as a group we all want to do it again next year and maybe recruit a couple more to join us

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

That was on par with glasto for me this year

story was a lot easier to engage with and was extremely fun. Probably the funniest weekend of my life thanks to the actors 

I find the relentless dnb a bit tiresome after a little while but my group did want to spend a lot of time at origin

lucked out with the weather big time, was very good in the end

as a group we all want to do it again next year and maybe recruit a couple more to join us

Nice one - any notable changes from last year? Apart from not being cooked alive in the day.

59 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

Nice one - any notable changes from last year? Apart from not being cooked alive in the day.

I’m mostly interested in the 22/23 differences, didn’t go because of the eye watering price tag, and their questionable moral greenwashing bullshittery.

Have heard from a few people the story was more accessible and better organised than last year 

3 hours ago, mjfromthelane said:

nothing major changed, a few tweakments here and there.  New security company but same old same old. CV field layout changed, bottom where Meadow camping was is now walled off as part of Camp Orchid. The majority of stages are the same, Origin is a bit taller and squarer but essentially the same (as in feckin big).  No real changes noticed to the other main stages (Grand Central, Zenith, Engine Room, the Vault). 

Wrong Side of the Tracks is now at the top in the container surrounded stage (scrapyard) from last year in Area 404.  Spectrum 360 is just round the corner, new stage and a circular area with central circular stage (think inside out gas tower). Dubtendo is back as an outside stage just outside 404 / side of Origin field. A few renames of stages but most recognizable from last year. Job centre is gone (seems to be part of the story but the Christmas party still happened) and Letsbe Avenue has a few tweaks in line with that. There were a number of sound systems popping up here and there on odd days, there is a Botanica Street Party set up on the corner opposite Hidden Woods. Old Town remains the same (Guinness now £6.80 in the Shamrock).

Lighting and laser budget was probably the same as a small countries GDP, sound excellent and on the louder side compared with a lot of other festivals especially Glastonbury. It was all good and worth the ticket price. No Festival is cheap with that level of production.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

I really found this too. The other 10% of the lineup is great, so much variety and different cultures and the like, but the 90% of it being DnB really grated on me. Walking out someone had dance music on a speaker and I just couldn't bear it, definitely need some time away from it!

14 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

I really found this too. The other 10% of the lineup is great, so much variety and different cultures and the like, but the 90% of it being DnB really grated on me. Walking out someone had dance music on a speaker and I just couldn't bear it, definitely need some time away from it!

Feels like this has been a very conscious move by BT post-pandemic? Possibly because the bigger DnB names are still affordable but will also bring in the punters? I first went in 2018 when it felt like a much more diverse line up overall but also in terms of DJs there was a bigger house/techno representation then.

I didn't go this year but last year I was struggling by the Sunday despite being a big DnB fan. Had looked forward to a couple of sets on Origin to close out the weekend but it started to feel repetitive and flat when you notice the trending tracks getting played over and over again. Maybe my fault for not getting over to Grand Central/Engine Room more but there weren't enough quality acts there for me.

26 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

Feels like this has been a very conscious move by BT post-pandemic? Possibly because the bigger DnB names are still affordable but will also bring in the punters? I first went in 2018 when it felt like a much more diverse line up overall but also in terms of DJs there was a bigger house/techno representation then.

I didn't go this year but last year I was struggling by the Sunday despite being a big DnB fan. Had looked forward to a couple of sets on Origin to close out the weekend but it started to feel repetitive and flat when you notice the trending tracks getting played over and over again. Maybe my fault for not getting over to Grand Central/Engine Room more but there weren't enough quality acts there for me.

Last year on the Sunday saw Anish Kumar, Kool and the gang and Four tet back to back. Best run of the weekend for me. Even managed to fit Ewan Mcvicar in there somewhere who was taking heads at zenith.

50 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

I think the biggest issue is that prior to the pandemic, the drum and bass was almost exclusively in the bowl. Now, as everything is in the bowl, you are a lot more exposed to it. There are still lots of stages that aren't exclusively drum and bass, with examples being Grand Central, Engine Room, The Vault, Zenith, Hanger 101, Tangled Roots and a few others.

Has firmly become my favourite festival, what a weekend. I think they smashed it....felt like they ramped up again. 

Found it varied enough but there is no escape down in that bowl, like a beast that cannot be tamed!

Spent alot of time at grand Central/engine room/fools leap this year, also managed to get round and see alot of randomness as always. Tribe of frogs and Tangled is always brilliant. 

Not sure I would justify Orchid again, nice to have a shower but is it more spacious? Probably not. 

Already commited and jumped on priority tickets dropped today for next year! 

Overall it isn't a cheap one but taking all into account they didn't hold back! 

Edited by joeltg
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, mr flow said:

I think the biggest issue is that prior to the pandemic, the drum and bass was almost exclusively in the bowl. Now, as everything is in the bowl, you are a lot more exposed to it. There are still lots of stages that aren't exclusively drum and bass, with examples being Grand Central, Engine Room, The Vault, Zenith, Hanger 101, Tangled Roots and a few others.

It's a lot more dance focused though even if it isn't exclusively D&B. The acts and the audience have shifted towards being a mostly dance festival crowd. There were some great live bands on but often on the smaller stages or had small crowds. There's a few exceptions, Cypress Hill were brilliant and was packed for example. 

Still a great festival, weather was perfect too. 

47 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Already bought tickets for next year, nice to have an event I’m desperate to go to without tday stress 

It's actually aliviated the pressure for me. I can't afford to do both year on year and actually have more fun at Boom.

On 8/15/2023 at 7:01 PM, a6l6e6x said:

Already bought tickets for next year, nice to have an event I’m desperate to go to without tday stress 

Have to say I looked at the Boowntown live videos from people there and it's as far away from what I'd ever go to. I know it can be said social media etc but I tagged a friend who's been 3/4 times straight and he said it's about accurate.

Drugs fest with everyone off their tits on day 1. Girls jumping into guys tents after a 'vibe' and too many lines etc etc actually seeming proud to announce that on camera going out broadly. The lineup to be honest is very rarely taste, probably the polar opposite. I am also informed the amount of D&B was mad this year and that along with dubstep and current Rap/Grime is my worst nightmare. 

14 hours ago, northernangel said:

Have to say I looked at the Boowntown live videos from people there and it's as far away from what I'd ever go to. I know it can be said social media etc but I tagged a friend who's been 3/4 times straight and he said it's about accurate.

Drugs fest with everyone off their tits on day 1. Girls jumping into guys tents after a 'vibe' and too many lines etc etc actually seeming proud to announce that on camera going out broadly. The lineup to be honest is very rarely taste, probably the polar opposite. I am also informed the amount of D&B was mad this year and that along with dubstep and current Rap/Grime is my worst nightmare. 

I recommend you don't buy a ticket. X 

• Upvote 1