Coldplay - Why the hate?

Alvoram

Coldplay gigs look amazing but haven't thought they made a truly good album in 2 decades. First 3 were amazing. Title track in Viva La Vida was great but everything else meh and thats their story to me.

One or two decent to good songs in a mountain of meh 

Would I see them at Glastonbury as a headliner? Probably but very dependent on the clash.

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Does manufacturing 100,000 disposable plastic wristbands go against their carbon neutral ethos these days? Maybe they could replant the trees in the Glade to offset it

well I guess they have them already and recycle them ..... the collection would be a little more difficult but still possible  

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

well I guess they have them already and recycle them ..... the collection would be a little more difficult but still possible  

Yeah, I guess so. Do people give them back? Surely, most hang onto them as keepsakes? Somehow I have three of those 2016 wristbands and I was at LCD Soundsystem! 😆

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, I guess so. Do people give them back? Surely, most hang onto them as keepsakes? Somehow I have three of those 2016 wristbands and I was at LCD Soundsystem! 😆

don't think they recycled them back then ..... they definitely make efforts to now although im sure they must lose a fair chunk at many stadiums, also the buckets were getting filled on the exits 

5 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Does manufacturing 100,000 disposable plastic wristbands go against their carbon neutral ethos these days? Maybe they could replant the trees in the Glade to offset it

At their gigs they collect them at the end. Not much of a keepsake anyway as they have no branding and stop working.

In 2016, they kept working well into the early hours and it was nice seeing loads of people with the wristbands still glowing away.

It is a weird one. Their first 3 records are timeless, for me, the rest very hit and miss.

2011 I opted for The Chemical Brothers but I went in 2016, and it was undeniably amazing. Their 2005 set is one of the sets I enjoy watching the most, from the festivals before I started attending.

I think now, from a Glastonbury perspective, it just feels a very lazy/easy booking. Generally, their new stuff/shows feel very different. It's becoming hard to take Chris seriously running around dressed like that approaching 50 as well, but that's just me.

Having said the above, I won't hesitate to go and watch them at next year's festival if I get a ticket and there isn't a bad clash. I think ultimately, they are an easy target for people as well.

I really enjoyed A Head Full of Dreams, for what it’s worth. I’m not on board this “first albums were great and then it’s all sh*t” bandwagon. I just don’t think that’s true. 

I saw the ‘Play in 2016, not at Glasto (which I decided not to attend that year) but when they came to Melbourne later in the year. It was a brilliant show and it seems that’s consistent when they play live.

If they played next year, they’d be a solid, if safe, booking. They’re a bit of a ‘one and done’ for me so I wouldn’t be rushing to see them but it wouldn’t be an unpleasant experience if I did. 

• 2 weeks later...

You could hear the show in Optus Stadium from way out in the western suburbs of Perth tonight. We've got the coastline just over the rise, and Chris Martin was four times as far away at the very least.

I've been told the music was so loud in order to drown him out. We'll see. Let's have a look at this for next year:

Higher Power
Adventure of a Lifetime
Paradise
The Scientist
5 Viva la Vida
Hymn for the Weekend
In My Place
Charlie Brown
Yellow
10 Human Heart 
11 People of the Pride
12 Clocks 
13 God Put a Smile Upon Your Face
14 Every Teardrop is a Waterfall
15 Something Just Like This
16 My Universe

17 ***Guest Song***
18 Sparks
19 Fix You
20 A Sky Full of Stars

• Upvote 1

The Coldplay hate is a little pantomime at times, but within the context of Glastonbury it's disheartening to see them rumoured as a headliner again. 

I'm certainly not suggesting that Emily and co. "just give it Wolf Alice" or anything like that. But it really does suggest a lack of ambition in their booking. Is Coldplay for a fifth time really the best they can do? 

15 minutes ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

The Coldplay hate is a little pantomime at times, but within the context of Glastonbury it's disheartening to see them rumoured as a headliner again. 

I'm certainly not suggesting that Emily and co. "just give it Wolf Alice" or anything like that. But it really does suggest a lack of ambition in their booking. Is Coldplay for a fifth time really the best they can do? 

For a festival that pays headline acts approximately a fifth of the going rate (last we heard), then yes it's quite possible that one of the biggest bands in the world offering to play for free is (one third of) the best they can do.

On 11/3/2023 at 1:14 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Honestly, the amount of these I picked up as a litter picker that year was obscene- what a ridiculous waste of resources.

I didn't even know what they were till afterwards...

On 11/3/2023 at 1:29 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

don't think they recycled them back then ..... they definitely make efforts to now although im sure they must lose a fair chunk at many stadiums, also the buckets were getting filled on the exits 

Nope- as litter pickers we were told to bin them. Impossible to recycle as a composite mess of things. 

16 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

I spent the run up to the festival bitching about what an unoriginal booking it was, and then left the field with tears running down my face. Utterly incedibly.

I wasn't quote at both of those exrtremes, but I had very similar sentiments.

2 hours ago, incident said:

For a festival that pays headline acts approximately a fifth of the going rate (last we heard), then yes it's quite possible that one of the biggest bands in the world offering to play for free is (one third of) the best they can do.

This, this, this. I've bemoaned them coming around again, but that's me bemoaning repeat bookings in general - and when they will play for virtually nothing at all when the festival had its budget, then it is a no-brainer.