Coldplay - Why the hate?

Alvoram

Slightly off topic but we went on Sunday to Wembley, stood on the pitch just in front of the delay towers. Fantastic show, great spectacle but the sound was awful, spoilt it for me. I know it can be iffy there but I have been to gigs there before & the sound has been excellent. It makes you grateful for the sound at the Pyramid. The should get it right at £100 a ticket.

51 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I don't think anybody gets upset at others opinions, I don't even think anybody here gets upset at the disproportionate abuse some bands tend to get. Maybe they do, I don't know. But it's never personal, and never reason for getting upset, nobody knows them personally (as far as I know.) 

It is however (for the 5th time) ok to discuss people's reasons on a discussion board. 

And absolutely there's nothing wrong with saying that, everybody is entitled to an opinion, everyone has one. I hope that posting this thread hasn't caused you any distress, or any feeling that you shouldn't be sharing your opinion, because that was never the intention. 🙂 If you don't like Coldplay, RHCP or even Jeffrey f***ing Archer that's completely up to you, and I for one don't mind you telling me. 👍 Don't be offended if I ask why though, out of pure curiosity. 🙂 

I’ve got no issue with being challenged on my views. You yourself asked me earlier in the thread and I said that musically I find them dull and that I fee booking them again anytime soon would be lazy and uninspired.

There are only three headline slots a year. Giving one to a band who have already headlined four times in a reasonably short space of time feels like a waste to me.

Although I don’t think they would’ve been in the running for next year anyway (maybe if COVID hadn’t happened and there had been more festivals between their last appearance) I wonder if that minor ‘backlash’ to Chris popping up everywhere in ‘19 has given them a nudge to stay away for a little longer than they usually would have.

They’ve hinted at/talked about winding down as a band soon so you’d imagine they’d play once more before that happens, although that would mean they’d either have to tour for a third year straight or come back at a later date for a final hurrah. 

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

And no, if glasto did take into account global popularity there would be plenty of other acts thrown into the mix of possible headliners. But it wont happen cause ya gotta keep the old generation of punters happy so they can sit in their chairs at the Pyramid.

Exactly, they should have Maná headline, even though they mean next to nothing here

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I’ve got no issue with being challenged on my views. You yourself asked me earlier in the thread and I said that musically I find them dull and that I fee booking them again anytime soon would be lazy and uninspired.

There are only three headline slots a year. Giving one to a band who have already headlined four times in a reasonably short space of time feels like a waste to me.

I think I agree with you on headlining. No need for anybody to headline the Pyramid that often. There’s other slots, or even other stages they (or any other ‘regulars’) could headline. 👍

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Totally. Thats why Sam Fender just played 1000 capacity thatres in the u.s. Absolutely massive....

And no, if glasto did take into account global popularity there would be plenty of other acts thrown into the mix of possible headliners. But it wont happen cause ya gotta keep the old generation of punters happy so they can sit in their chairs at the Pyramid.

British festival in picking acts that are popular in Britain shocker.

Headliners tend to be popular in Britain and elsewhere 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t understand where the debate in that is… It’s undeniable. 

The only one I’m not sure about in recent history is Stormzy, how popular is he overseas? (Genuinely don’t know)

15 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Headliners tend to be popular in Britain and elsewhere 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t understand where the debate in that is… It’s undeniable. 

The only one I’m not sure about in recent history is Stormzy, how popular is he overseas? (Genuinely don’t know)

I suppose the point, that seems to have gotten muddled along the last few pages, is that the festival books the biggest names it can. It’s a British festival and it books acts that are primarily huge in this country. I don’t think the festival are too concerned by the international standing. That’s more a by-product.

Due to the pervasive nature of English language acts in popular culture it tends to be that acts that are massive here or in the US are usually pretty popular elsewhere too.

The festival books acts that are globally popular because they are the biggest acts available. Sales in Mexico or Indonesia are not, IMO, a consideration when booking.

Typing all that has made me wonder how the fuck the conversation moved in this direction!

This is true though I'm also aware that the current bookers are very keen to ensure that they are always booking fresh, new and challenging talent - Emily has reiterated this in one of the recent documentaries she has featured in recently. Else surely we'd get Radiohead every year 😉

59 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I suppose the point, that seems to have gotten muddled along the last few pages, is that the festival books the biggest names it can. It’s a British festival and it books acts that are primarily huge in this country. I don’t think the festival are too concerned by the international standing. That’s more a by-product.

Due to the pervasive nature of English language acts in popular culture it tends to be that acts that are massive here or in the US are usually pretty popular elsewhere too.

The festival books acts that are globally popular because they are the biggest acts available. Sales in Mexico or Indonesia are not, IMO, a consideration when booking.

Typing all that has made me wonder how the fuck the conversation moved in this direction!

To be fair, none of us can say for sure what the booking team's most important criterias are. I would guess you're right, and that the most important factor is that they're popular here. But as somebody pointed out a while back, and you also point out, the biggest British acts also tend to be popular abroad. So we'll never know for sure how important that is to them. 

Not sure how this topic came up, I do not think Coldplay should be headlining any time soon, so to me, it's a bit off topic, but hey ho, a discussion is a discussion. 🙂 

2 hours ago, Giraffe Man said:

Slightly off topic but we went on Sunday to Wembley, stood on the pitch just in front of the delay towers. Fantastic show, great spectacle but the sound was awful, spoilt it for me. I know it can be iffy there but I have been to gigs there before & the sound has been excellent. It makes you grateful for the sound at the Pyramid. The should get it right at £100 a ticket.

It's very much about positioning at Wembley. We were at the barrier, well 2 or 3 rows of people back, dead centre at the end of the catwalk stage, so some way in front of the delays, and the sound was great for Coldplay themselves. We could hear reverb from behind for the support acts though. 

300091761_10160311879236385_4287089936529812514_n.thumb.jpg.8f5b8e386046c2851b355f95b082f30a.jpg

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

people like to throw that one in, as it says 'they know stuff'.

Just back from seeing Coldplay at Hampden park and have to admit they were excellent. Yes there was fireworks, paper stars, LED wristbands (compostable and had to be returned), everything you expect from one of their gigs. A crowd of 50000 and a wide range of ages. Maybe their time as a Glastonbury headliner has passed but their popularity hasn’t waned.  However I reckon their Glastonbury appearance in 2016 was better, maybe it was the simple fact it was on the farm with the mud and rain (and a certain gentleman singing my way)

16 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Totally. Thats why Sam Fender just played 1000 capacity thatres in the u.s. Absolutely massive....

It’s nothing to do with ‘the old generation.’ I have no idea what you mean by that. It’s a simple fact that a U.K. festival is not going to book headliners that aren’t popular in the U.K. Because that would be daft.

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2022 at 1:14 PM, moogster said:

To repeat some of the above. The music. I loved their first album. Second was OK. Then.... urgh...

For the "I was cool then" story, I saw them at the time of the first album in a tiny venue. I remember me and my friend's opinion was "yeah it was nice but they seemed so insecure and need practice" 😉

Similar " I was cool" story: saw coldplay supporting Embrace at blackpool tower theatre way back in 2000.  Stood at the bar not really interested thinking hurry up and finish your set, then they played yellow and it was like wow now that is a tune,  never would've imagined it would be heard around the world by millions & millions for years to come. 

8 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

ahem, to the feuerzone with you.

I would really like to enjoy coldplay, I've tried, but for me it's the lyrics tinged with a bit of trying too hard. Not my thing, but I'll not waste my hate on them.

Awesome, it was kinda fun in there last time 🙂 What kind of punishment is that? 🙈😂

290714298_428983729118659_772652708580286561_n.jpg.82d73f1c56b890d9218fcae2f18a3caa.jpg

290491949_601386211291459_6510450734529452751_n.thumb.jpg.f863e9f14f088a7b03628c3648c95d92.jpg

(Everybody remembers the first time a giant member shoots it's load all over them fondly.... right?) 

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2022 at 5:47 PM, CauliflowerEar said:

Because they are a whingey, soft as shite, middle of the road band ideal for the middle classes which now dominate Glastonbury festival. 

I will have you know the scousers now dominate Glastonbury thanks 😛 and we are far from middle class...