Volunteering 2023

neil93

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Presume you could use the farm showers though , that non Oxfam  workers use rather than ones with tokens ?

Am not aware of the "shower token" system.

There are plenty of options for free showers which will be easy to access in the early days. There's the farm showers, which I've only ever used as site crew, there's the "kid's field showers" and there are crew showers at the end of the railway track in the SE corner. There are probably more that I'm unaware of.

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

its completely pot luck, i think there's a couple of hundred spaces out of the 2,500 people who apply - i seem to recall it being about a 10% chance. The shifts are a lot quieter than the normal ones ofc, its checking ID and passes etc for workers. I was on a vehicle gate which was locked shut at the time, so my job for 24hrs was telling people its locked 😆 oh, and stopping the security guards from kicking off at each other. fun and games!

You tick a box on your profile to say you can come down on the sat, instead of the normal mon or tues - but it really is a bit of a ghost town til monday lunchtime really, no food stalls, but theres a few staff bars so you can have a beer. I'd recommend it but be aware you are going to be camping for nine nights, and that can get a bit wearing. 

Did you sign up solo? I have a running theory they only choose from solo or duos for early shifts as it may be harder to accommodate say 6 people all wanting same shifts together 

15 minutes ago, Havors said:

Did you sign up solo? I have a running theory they only choose from solo or duos for early shifts as it may be harder to accommodate say 6 people all wanting same shifts together 

I did sign up solo. And the people I did my shifts with were solo too. And the ones who I took over from, and who took over from me, apart from one couple! Your theory holds a lot of water, yknow . . . 

39 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yeah, we've long had our suspicions about this. I know a fair few couples who've had earlies but we've (group of 6) never got them. Probably also not helped by the fact we are all supervisors/team leaders.

Not gonna stop us trying/hoping though!

Edited by philipsteak

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

There's usually the evening briefing to wait for tho on Mon isn't there, tho they used to repeat it Tues too iirc. The Glasto one used to take ages as there's so much to cover...

How does it take so long, they only do one position. 😂

At other fests your shift could be one of 15 different things each needing a separate briefing at the start of the shift. 

21 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

How does it take so long, they only do one position. 😂

At other fests your shift could be one of 15 different things each needing a separate briefing at the start of the shift. 

I think it’s about an hour, nothing too horrific. Covers the different types of tickets, photo checking, general protocols etc. 

When we got earlies we applied as two seperate pairs instead of as a four and amazingly all got earlies, and were on the same shift pattern! (Although in different places). It was unbeliveable luck which we will never have again, but it was a really special festival for us that we appreciated every moment of.

For any chance of earlies I’d recommend not linking with more than one other person.

4 hours ago, garc1a said:

If you worked this year you should have priority for 2023 and 24 regardless if u work 2023 or not 

At least that's what has happened in past, I like to take occasional year off for a big foreign jaunt and not lose priority for next one.

Volunteered every other festival starting with 2011. Had a punter ticket this year. Volunteered the previous festival (2019). So I would need to volunteer for the next one to keep my priority in, if what you say is correct.

I'd always assumed (without hearing otherwise) that everyone who'd ever volunteered before got the email with the priority link every year.

They really messed up last time didn't they? Promised more places to people than they had places to give iirc? I would like to think that those they disappointed for 2020/22 would also get some sort of priority.

And let's not mention the last minute change to the usual travel arrangements. Oops (still not sure if that was Shelter or Avalons doing though).

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Volunteered every other festival starting with 2011. Had a punter ticket this year. Volunteered the previous festival (2019). So I would need to volunteer for the next one to keep my priority in, if what you say is correct.

I'd always assumed (without hearing otherwise) that everyone who'd ever volunteered before got the email with the priority link every year.

They really messed up last time didn't they? Promised more places to people than they had places to give iirc? I would like to think that those they disappointed for 2020/22 would also get some sort of priority.

And let's not mention the last minute change to the usual travel arrangements. Oops (still not sure if that was Shelter or Avalons doing though).

That's the way it has been in the past. Or has been the way since I started volunteering (first year of supa fence).

I wouldn't hold my word to gospel every year going forward,  they can change things without warning. 

I like to keep my guaranteed way in, will drop them an email in the new year to confirm if I miss this glasto I'll still get dibs on next one.

The bus change was a pain, we had booked London hotels in advance as it's usually part of our festival doin a night Im London on route. I think they will give more  notice this time on pick up points. All in all for the pain it was, shelter are still decent with their volunteers. 

It's the only way I'll goto the fest now, I have accepted I'm that getting auld twat who needs sleep, shower and breakfast with semi quiet camping 🙂 

after seeing the queues for everything again this year.. I know I couldn't cope with being a punter again.

we will prob know each others faces, I have been with shelter about same time, prior to that I was with WBC til the spaces got squeezed.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, incident said:

There is, but unless the arrival procedures have changed it's awkward for Oxfam volunteers specifically - the shuttle goes to the Coach Station at Gate A, whereas Oxfam staff need to arrive at the campsite outside Gate B in order to be accredited - so it's a fairly substantial walk around the outskirts of the site from the Coach Station.

And apparently you can't walk across the site nor "follow the wall", so it's a very awkward walk particularly with all your luggage in one go....

On 11/7/2022 at 8:45 AM, OrlaGrace said:

Thank you so much - very jealous you've never had to use the horrendous ticket system!! I'm definitely up for volunteering next year, everyone that does it says they wouldn't go back to being a punter so it must be good! I've fired out a few emails last night and this morning so keep your fingers crossed for me 🙂 what is it you volunteer doing? hopefully see you in the fields!! 

my broadband was playing up so could not reply before - the only time I bought tickets ' they were paper tickets  ' and they were bought over a Counter { below is my last punter ticket }

Good luck with your quest.

## I would warn you that being  Volunteer is not for everyone because some people just cant handle the shifts and missing whoever - most common questions is ' can I change my shift ?  100% No ##

sure with some Volunteer jobs it may be possible ## but its best to assume you cant ##

best shifts I ever had was 5 days starting at 6am to Noon although it may be another 20 years before I see that again

amazingly others did not want to do those times but I had no problem with them

I gave my Team the option and they could pick their own shifts { as long as it balanced out } turns out the two oldest worked the early shift.

My team works in a Crew bar - but in the past I have worked in most of the bar's - some are better than others ' for various reasons '

Crew facilities are a big selling point - if you are lucky they may have a catering tent and there could be a Cheap Bar { at least 1/2 price } some crews have their own toilets and showers but some may have to share with other groups.

+ Crew camping will not be as cramped and a very big plus - Tent Security
as some have their own Crew security - who check people coming in or leaving - theft is very rare

and over time ' its a good way to meet new people ' - I have some friends
who I have knowing for over 30 years.

953044_n.jpg.ab15f18e9e1eb44e4c34e09d97665fac.jpg

• Like 1

My partner and I feel lucky to have tickets but are also excited about volunteering for the first time with the recycle team (- we have a recommendation).  I don't want to apply unless we are certain that we want to do it - don't want to waste anyone's time by changing our minds later.  So, to help understand if we do want to volunteer, can I ask:

Whereabouts is the camping for the recycle team?

Do the recycle team have any nice benefits like some the other volunteering tribes I've read about above? (bars/ showers etc)

Any guess how popular post festival only shifts are amongst the recyclers? (Mon onwards)

3 minutes ago, From the Woods said:

My partner and I feel lucky to have tickets but are also excited about volunteering for the first time with the recycle team (- we have a recommendation).  I don't want to apply unless we are certain that we want to do it - don't want to waste anyone's time by changing our minds later.  So, to help understand if we do want to volunteer, can I ask:

Do the recycle team have any nice benefits like some the other volunteering tribes I've read about above? (bars/ showers etc)

Any guess how popular post festival only shifts are amongst the recyclers? (Mon onwards)

@dondo is a man on the ground here … 

5 minutes ago, From the Woods said:

I don't know where the camping is, but with a crew wristband you'll have access to crew bars and showers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, From the Woods said:

Hi there. Happy to answer questions but on what you've asked so far:

Camping is in Tom's Field which is at the top of the site near the farmhouse and Gate B.  If you look on the map it's the bit above the medical centre.

Yes there are recycling crew benefits which include showers and a nice bar.  The bar is in the same tent as the catering where you can use your meal tokens you get for completing shifts.  There's also free tea and coffee (bring a mug).  You can also access some crew bars on site with your wrist band.

Not sure how popular the post festival shifts are, I've only ever met one couple who did them.  Given the extra holidays folk would need I'd say maybe not that popular but don't quote me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, From the Woods said:

Here's some FAQs.

https://www.recyclingcrew.co.uk/faq/

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, From the Woods said:

Camping for recycling is up by the farmhouse, if you arrive after weds you may well be in overflow which can be behind the cow barn or up outside the fence by marys gate. 

Yes theres a bar, 2 meals per work day, showers.

Post festival shifts are mostly paid, I have never done them and actually would hate it - in my opinion earlies are the best.

56 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Camping for recycling is up by the farmhouse, if you arrive after weds you may well be in overflow which can be behind the cow barn or up outside the fence by marys gate. 

Yes theres a bar, 2 meals per work day, showers.

Post festival shifts are mostly paid, I have never done them and actually would hate it - in my opinion earlies are the best.

Too add to this. If you do do the post festival shifts volunteering wise it is in the recycling centre.  The actual picking I believe is the paid roles @giantkatestacksrefers too.

If I don't get the veteran shifts my choice is earlies too as whilst it curtails late night activities it means not too much music missed in the afternoon.

1 minute ago, dondo said:

If I don't get the veteran shifts my choice is earlies too as whilst it curtails late night activities it means not too much music missed in the afternoon.

When I used to do traffic control on the railway track, my bosses knew not to give me earlies as I was going to do the late night stuff regardless. 

No idea how they knew in my first year though.

They then moved me to a position where I'd be only have shifts pre festival, more hours, but totally worth it.

5 hours ago, Skip997 said:

When I used to do traffic control on the railway track, my bosses knew not to give me earlies as I was going to do the late night stuff regardless. 

No idea how they knew in my first year though.

They then moved me to a position where I'd be only have shifts pre festival, more hours, but totally worth it.

Sounds like a good deal! Who do you volunteer with for traffic control on the railway please? x

18 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

my broadband was playing up so could not reply before - the only time I bought tickets ' they were paper tickets  ' and they were bought over a Counter { below is my last punter ticket }

Good luck with your quest.

## I would warn you that being  Volunteer is not for everyone because some people just cant handle the shifts and missing whoever - most common questions is ' can I change my shift ?  100% No ##

sure with some Volunteer jobs it may be possible ## but its best to assume you cant ##

best shifts I ever had was 5 days starting at 6am to Noon although it may be another 20 years before I see that again

amazingly others did not want to do those times but I had no problem with them

I gave my Team the option and they could pick their own shifts { as long as it balanced out } turns out the two oldest worked the early shift.

My team works in a Crew bar - but in the past I have worked in most of the bar's - some are better than others ' for various reasons '

Crew facilities are a big selling point - if you are lucky they may have a catering tent and there could be a Cheap Bar { at least 1/2 price } some crews have their own toilets and showers but some may have to share with other groups.

+ Crew camping will not be as cramped and a very big plus - Tent Security
as some have their own Crew security - who check people coming in or leaving - theft is very rare

and over time ' its a good way to meet new people ' - I have some friends
who I have knowing for over 30 years.

953044_n.jpg.ab15f18e9e1eb44e4c34e09d97665fac.jpg

Thank you so much for this, really good to know. I really want to volunteer and see a different side to the festival! I didn’t realise recycling crew needed a recycling crew reference, I thought litter picking would be okay! So hopefully I can find one but there are so many good options (oxfam, bar work, stewarding) - fingers crossed I’ll be there!! x