Volunteering 2023

neil93

I managed to get tickets but I'm still very keen to volunteer for 2023.  I have a recommendation for the recycling team which I've been told to follow up in Jan. 

Will the fact I already have tickets count against me? 

Also, if I get on the team, I think I'd prefer to do my hours post festival - Monday onwards.  What is the site like then?

8 minutes ago, golden egg said:

With Oxfam would you say it’s too late to expect to do glastonbury 2023 if I haven’t volunteered with them before? 

I’d happily sign up to do another one alongside glasto if that makes it more likely, although I don’t think there are many before June? Maybe Bearded Theory? 

No you’ve got a great chance of getting to Glastonbury with Oxfam. Just keep an eye on the application date and make sure you are ready!  

2 minutes ago, golden egg said:

With Oxfam would you say it’s too late to expect to do glastonbury 2023 if I haven’t volunteered with them before? 

I’d happily sign up to do another one alongside glasto if that makes it more likely, although I don’t think there are many before June? Maybe Bearded Theory? 

Nowhere near too late.

Very approximately speaking, Oxfam take ~2,500 stewards to Glastonbury. While we don't know exactly, it's thought that usually around 1,500 of those places are taken up in the "priority" window - people who get first dibs because of their record in previous years. There's no way to get on the priority list for next year if you're not already, but that still leaves approximately a thousand places that are "up for grabs" to the general public with no experience necessary. Those places will be released on a date to be named later (almost certainly during a weekday) and will very much be first come first served - essentially if you pay your deposit first, you have a place.

Assuming nothing changes, you don't need to commit to a second festival. In the context of Glastonbury, the main benefit of doing a second festival is that it'd put you on the priority list for 2024. In terms of other Festivals - while Bearded is before Glastonbury, it's one of the few that are likely out of reach to you. There's likely to be 3 festivals - Bearded Theory, 2000 Trees, and The Long Road - that fill all their spots with priority applicants and so the applications for them don't open to the public.

It's also likely that places become available closer to the festival if people cancel - though if you're stuck waiting on that it can be very frustrating as it's a matter of being on the web site at the exact right moment.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, incident said:

Nowhere near too late.

Very approximately speaking, Oxfam take ~2,500 stewards to Glastonbury. While we don't know exactly, it's thought that usually around 1,500 of those places are taken up in the "priority" window - people who get first dibs because of their record in previous years. There's no way to get on the priority list for next year if you're not already, but that still leaves approximately a thousand places that are "up for grabs" to the general public with no experience necessary. Those places will be released on a date to be named later (almost certainly during a weekday) and will very much be first come first served - essentially if you pay your deposit first, you have a place.

Assuming nothing changes, you don't need to commit to a second festival. In the context of Glastonbury, the main benefit of doing a second festival is that it'd put you on the priority list for 2024. In terms of other Festivals - while Bearded is before Glastonbury, it's one of the few that are likely out of reach to you. There's likely to be 3 festivals - Bearded Theory, 2000 Trees, and The Long Road - that fill all their spots with priority applicants and so the applications for them don't open to the public.

It's also likely that places become available closer to the festival if people cancel - though if you're stuck waiting on that it can be very frustrating as it's a matter of being on the web site at the exact right moment.

That’s great info, thank you.

Am I right in thinking Festaff will only let you apply if you’ve done two camping with them this year? I did All Points East with them this year but the day ones don’t count so I’m going to be considered a ‘newbie’ 

Just now, mike46 said:

Am I right in thinking Festaff will only let you apply if you’ve done two camping with them this year? I did All Points East with them this year but the day ones don’t count so I’m going to be considered a ‘newbie’ 

I'm not certain about Festaff - their T&Cs are poor enough that I wouldn't work for them regardless - but I believe that they have a similar "2 festivals the previous year" priority system with the major difference being they don't have many places at Glastonbury - so places are likely to fill up with priority applicants.

From what I remember they do also have an extra rule (one of several that I dislike) in that you can only apply for Glastonbury if you work at a second festival with them from a nominated list (ie they're using it to fill spots at undesirable events).

Oxfam will be in Feb most likely. Priority first, then a week later new applicants. There is no 'record' as such - as long as you did all your shifts last time, they don't judge you on how well you did them as such (believe me...). The rules for a priority 'invite' are that you have done 2 the previous year, or 7 in the last 7 years, or have been a recent supervisor.

Never heard of the 'nominated' list thing for Glasto - where's that come from?

Edited by Pinhead

6 hours ago, 4519dennis said:

Can anyone recall with Shelter whether having volunteered for them the year before gives you a better chance to do so again?

In the past there's always been a "priority" opening to the sign up a couple of days early for those who are returning volunteers, so I'd assume this year will be similar.

Also if anyone has questions about the Shelter volunteering experience feel free to ask as I've been doing it since 2014 so can probably help with most queries 😅

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, From the Woods said:

I managed to get tickets but I'm still very keen to volunteer for 2023.  I have a recommendation for the recycling team which I've been told to follow up in Jan. 

Will the fact I already have tickets count against me? 

Also, if I get on the team, I think I'd prefer to do my hours post festival - Monday onwards.  What is the site like then?

I too have a recommendation for recycling and also have a ticket. Am hoping to work it  

50 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Oxfam will be in Feb most likely. Priority first, then a week later new applicants. There is no 'record' as such - as long as you did all your shifts last time, they don't judge you on how well you did them as such (believe me...). The rules for a priority 'invite' are that you have done 2 the previous year, or 7 in the last 7 years, or have been a recent supervisor.

Never heard of the 'nominated' list thing for Glasto - where's that come from?

Yep… when you apply for Glasto with Festaff you have to also sign up to a ‘sister’ (as they call it) camping festival. You’ll only get your deposit back if you complete both festivals. 

The main issue I have with Festaff is who is earning from your work. With Oxfam, Shelter and Wateraid you know that the charities are getting paid for your efforts. 

1 hour ago, mike46 said:

2 hours ago, incident said:

Nowhere near too late.

And to add that Glastonbury didn't fill in the priority window this year. They had to delay the main volunteer applications and there were still priority slots the day before everyone could get in so hopefully priority will be a lot less stressful. 

The main application sells out faster than the main ticket sale but there are regularly spots opening up again closer to the time which get posted in here. 

A load after the April resale. You do tend to have to be quick (20-30 minutes)but I'm sure there were a couple of times this year when spaces were up for 3 or 4 hours before all going again. So all is not lost! 

And as ever always helpful to post the Oxfam shift pattern in here. Other festivals with Oxfam are essentially this pattern but over 4 days not 5, and I've never really felt like I was missing out on that much. So to have all that with an extra day is a bonus (that I'm telling myself now I don't have a ticket....)

Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun
6am - 2pm   A    D    B    E    C
2pm - 10pm  B    E    C    A    D
10pm - 6am  C    A    D    B    E

21 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I mean attitude is a big part of it so that's an excellent start. It generally is people who start off negatively about it all that struggle the most. Don't get me wrong, we've all had a good moan about it at some point, 4 in the morning or when you are missing someone you really want to see. We are (mostly) British after all so there's nothing better than a good shared moan about something!

Any questions about stewarding through Oxfam, ask away.

Thank you so much for your help! X

9 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

And as ever always helpful to post the Oxfam shift pattern in here. Other festivals with Oxfam are essentially this pattern but over 4 days not 5, and I've never really felt like I was missing out on that much. So to have all that with an extra day is a bonus (that I'm telling myself now I don't have a ticket....)

Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun

I think C is the best pattern - get the overnight out of the way as soon as poss, headliners and late night stuff friday after working, and then all day saturday free and the bliss of finishing at 2pm on sunday, grabbing a pint and having a time of it that evening is great. im all in on C 

12 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I think C is the best pattern - get the overnight out of the way as soon as poss, headliners and late night stuff friday after working, and then all day saturday free and the bliss of finishing at 2pm on sunday, grabbing a pint and having a time of it that evening is great. im all in on C 

In terms of missing the least amount of festival it's A. Nothing much happening before 2pm Wednesday anyway and you've got only 2 shifts left. Can make it to all three headliners.

10 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

In terms of missing the least amount of festival it's A. Nothing much happening before 2pm Wednesday anyway and you've got only 2 shifts left. Can make it to all three headliners.

There are other patterns - this year I wasn't on any of those. 

I was a supervisor and had 2 x 04:45 - 13:00 on Weds and Sat and 12:45 to 21:00 on Thurs.

I think I got lucky and probably won't get this again. 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

There are other patterns - this year I wasn't on any of those. 

I was a supervisor and had 2 x 04:45 - 13:00 on Weds and Sat and 12:45 to 21:00 on Thurs.

I think I got lucky and probably won't get this again. 

Yeah there are a few outside the normal pattern. Couple of friends had that shift pattern too. Lucky sods. 

11 hours ago, waltere said:

In the past there's always been a "priority" opening to the sign up a couple of days early for those who are returning volunteers, so I'd assume this year will be similar.

Also if anyone has questions about the Shelter volunteering experience feel free to ask as I've been doing it since 2014 so can probably help with most queries 😅

Thanks!

I got the dream early shifts with oxfam this year, Sun, Mon Tues 6am to 2pm before the gates even open - i have to say, its not really the dream, its a hell of a long time to be camping and three shower tokens for that period of time is a bit mean! There's not much in the way of food before monday afternoon really, though its great being there before the cider bus (before the cider bus!) and seeing everything slowly coming in, its a very long week and i was quite looking forward to monday morning and heading home for showers, clean clothes, sofas, carpet, all of those lovely things . . . i'm glad i got the chance to do the earlies, but think i'd probably request normal shifts next time 

• Upvote 1

So far with shelter you get priority for 2 years. Gives the opportunity for a year off. Been doing it for about 10 years with them had a 'falliw' holiday with kid n back following year. 

Hoping it will be the same as it's currently my plan to take a year off... Currently. March is a long time away to decide. 🙂

• Upvote 1