How would you do Glastonbury differently next time?

kalifire

I've been giving thought on how I'd do Glastonbury differently next time based on this year's experience. I'd be interested to read how you might change it up a bit.

- Take a proper pillow (or a comfortable camping version). I ended up buying one on site on Thursday but they're not great and bringing a proper one would make a big difference.

- Camp somewhere different. I've done five Glastonburys at Pennards and the walk with all my stuff from PGA nearly broke me this year. Even though it's a walk I only do twice, it defines my Wednesday in terms of energy and takes up precious time on Sunday (leaving stuff at the PGA lock up).

- Arrive on Thursday? I know this is sacrilege to some, but as a solo attendee, I don't feel I need two days before the music starts in earnest. Truth be told, there were times I was a bit bored on the Wed/Thurs this year, perhaps because there was much less on and what was on was so overcrowded.

- Approach my itinerary more tactically. I managed to get a great position for Wet Leg, but had to sacrifice all of Kae Tempest's set to bag it. I can see myself doing more of this, considering crowd movements as much as I consider acts I want to see. It means clashes aren't just sets that are happening at the same time, but also sets that need to be cut short so you actually get a half decent position at the next one.

- Get a new sleeping bag. Thought my old one was still OK. Wasn't. Slept badly which is something you don't need obviously.

- Not doing the drive back on Monday or spending the extra cash to get  a flexible ticket to cross the channel. Too much stress, too tiring, too dangerous.

- Not go to things like TLC or Di-Ro because of their status. I don't especially like the music so it wasn't worth the crowd bit.

- Plan a circus headliner

- Or get something else than a scout tent at SL/WV or join the F&B Crowd, with a trolley

@kalifire Arriving Thursday is totally fine, especially if you've been to GL before. Don't be ashamed!

First 4 festivals we arrived for when the gates opened.

Last 4 we've arrived Thursday midday or so.

There are so many benefits to the latter......

- No traffic on the way in
- No queueing at the gate
- 1 less hangover to deal with 
- Feel relatively fresh when the "proper" music days begin

I went home this year and could easily have done an extra day or two.

When we used to go on Wednesday, I'd be dead on my feet by Sunday. 

6 minutes ago, nikkic said:

First 4 festivals we arrived for when the gates opened.

Last 4 we've arrived Thursday midday or so.

There are so many benefits to the latter......

- No traffic on the way in
- No queueing at the gate
- 1 less hangover to deal with 
- Feel relatively fresh when the "proper" music days begin

I went home this year and could easily have done an extra day or two.

When we used to go on Wednesday, I'd be dead on my feet by Sunday. 

I think this is something I'm starting to come round to....this year I was on a See tickets coach so was bound to their schedule but normally I'm there for gates opening on a Wednesday and the only reason we do that is to get a good camping spot.

I'm thinking that if I get tickets for 2023 and they aren't on the coach I may come down late Wednesday afternoon or early Thursday morning, bar the fireworks at SC we didn't really do much apart from sit about drinking, which is all good and everything but now I'm older I'm finding that it wipes me out by the time Sunday comes around and so I would rather have energy for that than the Wednesday.

Try not to have a plan for after hours and following my ears rather than my clashfinder. Best night we had this year was when we sacked off trying to get in to the Temple Sunday night for Rudimental and went in the Metz bar opposite as the music sounded good.

Use a camping bed that can't deflate.

My luck with any kind of air bed is shocking and I've been through 3 in 1 year.

That being said - I would love to do Glasto in a tipi OR campervan, I just don't have enough money to do either! 

22 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Wont be bothering with arriving before 4pm Wednesday ever again

As mentioned above I'm on this now too I think....ok I had a good camping spot (next to Arcadia) but all the faff, queuing, sweating and general irritableness isn't much of a trade off for walking 10 mins less at the start and end of each day. 

Would also mean I start Thursday quite fresh!

Definitely upgrade my sleeping facilities. I'll be getting a camping bed next time, I don't think you can skimp on this now.

We too are giving thought to arriving Thursday, although I'd still prefer the Wednesday, but I think Wednesday would be a camp day, get some food on and just relax rather than slog around the site.

As for my scheduling I already put a ruthless plan in action this year, where I prioritised convenience over Wishlist and I had a very enjoyable experience and missed the queuing and crushes that sadly befell many attendees this year. At no point did I feel I was sacrificing quality for convenience, just accepting that there some acts I couldn't make.

I'd spend more time in the Greenpeace area next time too, I found myself really enjoying my time there this year. A good alternative to an oversubscribed Park.

My future Glastonbury's should I get ticket will be more scaled back affairs and hopefully all the more enjoyable for it.

3 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

I'd spend more time in the Greenpeace area next time too, I found myself really enjoying my time there this year. A good alternative to an oversubscribed Park.

yes! They definitely had good acts, variety, nice atmosphere, good food.

One thing I'd do differently is not to rely on a bucket hat against the sun. Ended up with the bottom half of my face mildly sunburnt. Not a great look. 

1 minute ago, moogster said:

yes! They definitely had good acts, variety, nice atmosphere, good food.

One thing I'd do differently is not to rely on a bucket hat against the sun. Ended up with the bottom half of my face mildly sunburnt. Not a great look. 

Team Panama all the way!

I think I'd forgotten how much planning everything takes. 

Unless I'm bothered won't go to see the legend "just because". 

I'd stick more to my Glastonbury mantra that we discovered, which is never leave a good set early. 

I also would do a night in the SE corner. I really enjoyed it this year, and tbh didn't find it that busy.

I get avoiding the Wednesday queue but I think maybe part of the stress with that is the mindset. I've done it many times, arrive Tuesday night, sleep in the car and join the queue early Wednesday AM but this year in particular it went well despite the queues being larger than ever.

Just accept you're not getting in any time soon, don't overload the trolley, take a chair, enjoy the morning. Then once in camp, because a lot of us had got there early, we could set up, save some space, catch up, raise the flag then have a relaxed wander around the site from the afternoon onwards.

I love the Wednesday, not just for the time on site but that it makes Thursday completely stress free. You're on site, tent up, no worries about where you'll camp, feeling settled in already. Giving that up so you feel fresher at the end of the festival seems counter productive to me.

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I get avoiding the Wednesday queue but I think maybe part of the stress with that is the mindset. I've done it many times, arrive Tuesday night, sleep in the car and join the queue early Wednesday AM but this year in particular it went well despite the queues being larger than ever.

Just accept you're not getting in any time soon, don't overload the trolley, take a chair, enjoy the morning. Then once in camp, because a lot of us had got there early, we could set up, save some space, catch up, raise the flag then have a relaxed wander around the site from the afternoon onwards.

I love the Wednesday, not just for the time on site but that it makes Thursday completely stress free. You're on site, tent up, no worries about where you'll camp, feeling settled in already. Giving that up so you feel fresher at the end of the festival seems counter productive to me.

Id take a Wednesday AM arrival any day if it was easy but its not anymore. 2019 was awful. This year was a shambles.

Mind you Ill always go for coach so an early arrival could still be possible. Think the coach queues were an hour at PGA this year. No problem with that. 

But arriving at 8am and not being set up until 6pm or whatever, nah. 

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m in for the bus on the wed in the first sale this time … with the hope to getting an earlier one … glad I got a ticket but feel like I missed out on the wed as I was pretty much straight to the efest meet and had little chance to explore on the wed 

I don't think you missed much at all.....We arrived 9.45am on the coach, didn't get through the gates till 11.15am, by the time we had got to our camp and pitched up it was 12.30...then out to a friends car to collect alcohol, 2 hour turnaround on that one....was about 4pm by the time we had settled properly.  

I actually would have preferred your timings especially given your tent was already set up for you! 🙂 

7 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I don't think you missed much at all.....We arrived 9.45am on the coach, didn't get through the gates till 11.15am, by the time we had got to our camp and pitched up it was 12.30...then out to a friends car to collect alcohol, 2 hour turnaround on that one....was about 4pm by the time we had settled properly.  

I actually would have preferred your timings especially given your tent was already set up for you! 🙂 

12.30 is perfect.

Less said about the 2 hour trip back to the car the better though

• trolley if not on coach
  • if on coach, later departure on monday
  • better spot (was right by Gate D)
  • more organised late night to try and see more djs i like vs bumbling around till i find them (want to do a bit of both vs all bumbling!)

34 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Id take a Wednesday AM arrival any day if it was easy but its not anymore. 2019 was awful. This year was a shambles.

Mind you Ill always go for coach so an early arrival could still be possible. Think the coach queues were an hour at PGA this year. No problem with that. 

But arriving at 8am and not being set up until 6pm or whatever, nah. 

We decided one year to rock up later, get to the queue around 11:00 and camp in a spot a bit further out. That was 2016, I'm permanently scarred by that, just being in the car park on Tuesday night is now relaxing, knowing that no matter what, it won't be a repeat of that year.  

I’m sure we are all full of ideas how we will do things differently, but, to use an old quote, the road to hell is paved with good intentions!😉. You will never get everything perfect.  Whatever we decide there will always be things we forget, we don’t do right, we miss out on but it’s Glastonbury, it will be the usual amazing bizarre and unforgettable experience. Just let it happen.

• Upvote 1