Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

I've got to be honest, my fitness completely dived over winter. A combination of contracting weekly viruses from my kids at playschool, to the damp cold winter playing havoc with my asthma, and keeping the flat cooler because of the rising costs for heating, left me feeling groggy and unable to exercise for six months.

Started to hit the rowing machine again a couple of weeks ago, had another break because of another bout of family-flu last week, looking to stay fit and healthy until June now, hopefully get my fitness back to where it should be just in time!

One big change I'm noticing is with recovery. Like I said a few posts back, I've had a mate visiting and we've done a few big days. Nothing massive, but big for me. Not long ago each one of these would've wiped me out the next day but I've just done 3 back to back. And feel ok. The only thing I have to be really careful with is diabetes related problems with my feet. 

• Like 2

Birmingham Half Marathon went well! I was aiming for sub 1 hour and 50mins, so decided to run round with the relevant pacer. Unfortunately the pacer dropped his speaker about 16km in and when he stopped to pick it up I stupidly stopped too. He then shot off to make up the time and I couldn’t seem to keep up/catch him again, I gave it my everything over the final two km, my hands went numb and I thought I was going to vomit but I pushed on and nearly caught him! Official time of 1:50:19 so decided to take that and round down 😂

• Upvote 3

On 5/7/2023 at 9:59 PM, The Clearest Blue said:

Birmingham Half Marathon went well! I was aiming for sub 1 hour and 50mins, so decided to run round with the relevant pacer. Unfortunately the pacer dropped his speaker about 16km in and when he stopped to pick it up I stupidly stopped too. He then shot off to make up the time and I couldn’t seem to keep up/catch him again, I gave it my everything over the final two km, my hands went numb and I thought I was going to vomit but I pushed on and nearly caught him! Official time of 1:50:19 so decided to take that and round down 😂

Great effort!  Not done a half marathon in years, but you've beaten my PB by 45 seconds you git! 😜

Managed 60km on the bike last night including over 850m of vertical ascent (it's hilly round here).  Nearly killed me!  Good news though, weigh in this morning and I've now lost over a stone in 6 weeks and the heel is on the mend.  Happy days.

• Upvote 2

I am sort of plateauing. I am a kilo or two away from my "lose a stone" goal, but because of the massive difference of how my clothing fits, and my general fitness improvement (just did 40minutes run and am just fine going back to work), I am pretty sure I lost more than a stone of fat, and added quite some muscle mass. I have issues fitting in some tight jeans... with my calves and around the quads...! So yes, @philipsteak you beat me. I am now heavier than you  * bows * . Let's compare calf sizes now 😛 

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Great effort!  Not done a half marathon in years, but you've beaten my PB by 45 seconds you git! 😜

Thanks! That’s a good excuse to do another and try for a new PB haha. I’m already eyeing up the Cardiff half in October as a potential to creep below the 1:50 mark. I promised myself during the final 10mins I wouldn’t do another but now I really want to do one, it’s addictive this running!

16 minutes ago, moogster said:

I am sort of plateauing. I am a kilo or two away from my "lose a stone" goal, but because of the massive difference of how my clothing fits, and my general fitness improvement (just did 40minutes run and am just fine going back to work), I am pretty sure I lost more than a stone of fat, and added quite some muscle mass. I have issues fitting in some tight jeans... with my calves and around the quads...! So yes, @philipsteak you beat me. I am now heavier than you  * bows * . Let's compare calf sizes now 😛 

And I thought we were friends!

Tell you what, more than anything, the really satisfying part is finding things easy (or at least not hard) that previously were knackering. So for you, the 40 minute run. For me the back to back days off hiking last week. The only thing that stopped me doing a 4th big day was worrying about my feet as I have to be so careful.

12 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

. The only thing that stopped me doing a 4th big day was worrying about my feet as I have to be so careful.

Is that the "I shouldn't hurt myself before Glasto" angst that is starting to be quite high for me now or just a general worry?

6 minutes ago, moogster said:

Is that the "I shouldn't hurt myself before Glasto" angst that is starting to be quite high for me now or just a general worry?

No, it's diabetes related. Got to be very careful with feet. Due to the nerve and circulation damage they are more susceptible to injury, blisters and the like, more likely that any damage could be missed due to not feeling it (although I am pretty vigilant) and seen to take longer to recover. I've just got to be sensible and careful but I do need to be more proactive with prevention rather than cure.

But yes, I guess this does also apply to Glastonbury too.

I managed to hit my mark today, and reached the 21k target I set myself last year. Plus I managed a new PB 1:58:37. Time to taper down and enjoy a cup of tea. A big Thank You to everyone here, for giving me the motivation. See you on the hill.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 5/5/2023 at 7:24 AM, ahoykatie said:

Walked the second half of the west Highland Way this week - starting at Tyndrum!

It was really hard I won't lie but I'm glad I did it!

Although I cant see me wanting to walk that far ever again haha 

An absolutely beautiful walk, and the top half is the best by far! Bit bloody hilly though 😄 i live by the south downs, and have hiked the south downs way in full, and bits of it pretty much weekly for as long as ive had legs - i thought i was great at hill hiking.

west highland way is absolutely next level hills 😬 I hiked the speyside way last year, that was lovely too but a fair sight easier and with an awful lot more whisky on the route 👍 perfect glastonbury prep!

After months of threatening, I've  started my fitness plan for Glasto. From previous experiences (and the last was 2016) it's always my back that feels it the most at Glastonbury (I guess it's the standing and dancing?) so I'm making sure I train my back well at the gym to strengthen as well as over all fitness from rowing etc. 

If I could shed a stone too, that would be great 👍