Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

Just now, graceunderpressure said:

No idea who she is ?

318878017_10160378931175699_71196416101109963_n.jpg

Oh nice, the most interesting act they announced for next edition (imo), one of the few acts that released an album that was met with almost universal acclaim this year (No. 4 Rolling Stone/No. 6 Pitchfork in the year-end lists...94/100 Metacritic). Saw her last week, her show is amazing too.

• Like 1

Just now, 49Lawson said:

Those Pop Werchter comments aren’t going anywhere on the socials are they?

Heard of her but never listened to her; anyone got a good starting point for me to listen to at work tomorrow?

To be honest people have been using pop werchter for many years.

It's your typical werchter lineup. At least Rosalia is something different for werchter, it's quite a tired festival imo. 

12 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Those Pop Werchter comments aren’t going anywhere on the socials are they?

Heard of her but never listened to her; anyone got a good starting point for me to listen to at work tomorrow?

Since she tends to play her new album MOTOMAMI in full, it definetly makes sense to listen to that one. It's quite diverse in style. Saoko and Chicken Teriyaki are the big Latin-pop influenced tracks. I especially like her slower "piano-ballads" like Hentai and Como un G or sth like Delirio de Grandeza

Despecha and La Fama (with The Weeknd) are her most famous songs, I'm not a big fan of those tho.

Edited by MrTobs
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

I feel that something is just weird with the organization lately. 3 announcements last week, the bizzare Core festival announcement today AND now announcing Rosalia so late in the day.

What was bizarre about the Core-announcement? Probably missed something...

3 hours ago, thetime said:

To be honest people have been using pop werchter for many years

Yeah, I didn’t mean that was my thoughts specifically; they just seem to be getting hammered a bit more than normal this year. But I do wonder if it’s because…

2 hours ago, e2p2 said:

I feel that something is just weird with the organization lately. 3 announcements last week, the bizzare Core festival announcement today AND now announcing Rosalia so late in the day.

…of this. I was chatting to one of my friends who I usually go with about it tonight; we can’t really remember them ever announcing someone randomly at that time of night in the near 10 years we’ve been doing this. And typically CATQ and Rosalia aren’t the type of acts that they would give solo announcements too. (Not that that’s a bad thing, I just wonder if that’s where the [seemingly] more negative opinion of the line up is coming from?) I do feel like maybe next they have to come up with a big deal rock band or something to satiate the regulars. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrTobs said:

Since she tends to play her new album MOTOMAMI in full, it definetly makes sense to listen to that one. It's quite diverse in style. Saoko and Chicken Teriyaki are the big Latin-pop influenced tracks. I especially like her slower "piano-ballads" like Hentai and Como un G or sth like Delirio de Grandeza

Despecha and La Fama (with The Weeknd) are her most famous songs, I'm not a big fan of those tho.

Excellent, thank you! Not sure if she’ll be my cup of tea to be honest but I’ve never wrote an artist or band off without at least listening to them first 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, e2p2 said:

This late announcement is not as weird as it looks, she was playing yesterdday night in a big hall in Belgium, and I think that this Werchter performace was advertised pretty much just before her show started, which coincides with the late socials announcement.

For the rest, I agree it has looked weird, especially this month long pause, and each of these barn heads getting a separate announcement.

Edited by polnico

10 hours ago, 49Lawson said:

Yeah, I didn’t mean that was my thoughts specifically; they just seem to be getting hammered a bit more than normal this year. But I do wonder if it’s because…

Not so strange with the way they have announced artists this year. Normally the pop acts have blended into bigger packages, but now they are doing solo announcements of them. Without any rock acts to actually counter with then, it seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot..

On a general note I wish they went back to the Friday 16.00 announcements of 6-7 bands over many weeks, rather then what they are doing now with big packages and solo announcements.Kept the suspense going and was much more exciting.. One year I think they even had a "christmas calender" with one act every day, if I remember correctly. 

45 minutes ago, Archi said:

Rock Werchter announced her the morning after her soldout show in Brussels (8k people), guess they wanted to surf on the vibe. Or maybe she announced herself during the show. If she's not on the Main Stage, I can't see her anywhere else than headlining the Barn.

They announced her in the evening of her show. 

Can't see her playing the Barn. We have Chris, he will headline the Barn. Rosalia sub on main. Would make most sense. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, EV123 said:

Can't see her playing the Barn. We have Chris, he will headline the Barn. Rosalia sub on main. Would make most sense. 

Rosalie- Christine is more coherent to me than Rosalia-QOTSA-AM, but I really don't know

4 hours ago, EV123 said:

That would make no sense at all. We already have one "nobody" subbing, adding another makes no sense what so ever. It's Rock Werchter for crying out loud, they usually have a massive lineup...this year, not so much so far!