Thefts/Robberies

august1

7 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I agree. Many years ago I was leading a team doing traffic and people control, i.e. ensuring the two never collided, on the Glade crossroads at about 1 am Sunday morning. One of my team alerted me two a guy obviously needing attention on the side of the railway track. I approached a man curled up in a semi fetal position. Personal experience made me realise that he was on a "bad trip". My immediate reaction was to try to talk to him and offer medical and/or wefare aid. He then stood up and starting trashing our hut and threatning one of my team. I was still reluctant to call regular security, so I contacted our own security, knowing they would be more likely to bring in medical. Unfortunately their assessment on seeing him was to call regular security who put in a land rover and drove off. Not the outcome I wanted.

Hopefully he ended up at the medial centre, I think it would be out of the question to evict him in that state. Probably would of gone to medical, sedated and observed until he was of a sound mind to return to the festival. It’s a really hard situation to deal with and unfortunately everyone’s first inclination is to alert security and that’s normal but evidence has shown it’s better to treat them medically than to punish them. Also a lot of mental health patients know that the police can use their powers under the mental health act so it’s best to avoid their presence as much as possible. Obviously if our safety is compromised it’s a different outcome all together. I do think the security did the correct thing though as one of your colleagues did feel threatened. 

Edited by charlie.light
Spelling mistake

2 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

What exactly are people bringing to Glastonbury that they're worried about getting stolen. I only have my wallet with like two cards and id, and my phone. And I sleep with them down my pants anyways. 

Power banks, money, wallet, car keys , drugs, phones, apple watches - the list goes on.

5 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

What exactly are people bringing to Glastonbury that they're worried about getting stolen. I only have my wallet with like two cards and id, and my phone. And I sleep with them down my pants anyways. 

I don't take anything I can't afford to lose I I leave my smartphone at home and use an old Motorola and as you say just wallet the credit card and my bank card which will usually be left in the lock ups

4 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I don't take anything I can't afford to lose I I leave my smartphone at home and use an old Motorola and as you say just wallet the credit card and my bank card which will usually be left in the lock ups

Just because I can afford to lose my phone (insured,) cards, small amounts of cash and power bank... Doesn't mean I want to. I made full use of the lockups and carried as little as possible.

Also, losing my car keys would have been horrendous. 

• Upvote 1

I reckon a lot less people use lockups than many people think on here. Good amount of people won't even know they exist, or just use them for car keys. Over half the festival won't put phone/wallet in them at night i bet, if not closer to like 75%. Hardly going to bother walking there at 5am after djs etc

There should be minimal security in the festival once you are past the gate, and certainly none in the campsite. Who cares if a few tents get robbed, if you are thick enough to leave valuables in there then you almost deserve it. It would be much worse if security actively patrolled the campsites, it only take a few rogue, bad apples to gang up and start robbing people of their drugs and money on the pretence of 'drug searches', as tends to happen at festivals like Boomtown. I want to be left well alone by security at festivals, they are the enemy pretty much, anyone calling for more of it in the campsites because they are afraid of fellow festival goers is a being a fanny and they ought to man up a bit.

6 hours ago, gfa said:

I reckon a lot less people use lockups than many people think on here. Good amount of people won't even know they exist, or just use them for car keys. Over half the festival won't put phone/wallet in them at night i bet, if not closer to like 75%. Hardly going to bother walking there at 5am after djs etc

I used it, but it was Oxlyers so basically on the way home. Got into a good rhythm of getting back to the co-op before it closed, grabbed milk for the cool bag, used lockup, bed by the time Arcadia shuts at 3. 

2 hours ago, CauliflowerEar said:

There should be minimal security in the festival once you are past the gate, and certainly none in the campsite. Who cares if a few tents get robbed, if you are thick enough to leave valuables in there then you almost deserve it. It would be much worse if security actively patrolled the campsites, it only take a few rogue, bad apples to gang up and start robbing people of their drugs and money on the pretence of 'drug searches', as tends to happen at festivals like Boomtown. I want to be left well alone by security at festivals, they are the enemy pretty much, anyone calling for more of it in the campsites because they are afraid of fellow festival goers is a being a fanny and they ought to man up a bit.

Wow 

13 hours ago, gfa said:

As first timer and thanks to this forum I found the lockups super convenient. Coming from overseas and leaving there passport, transport tickets, wallet with all IDs/Insurance cards... and just take with me a prepaid card and the phone was such a relief. Was one of the best things from Glasto. Plus they give toiler paper for free!

And with lovely friendly people working on them 🙂

If I am not here probably I wouldn't even notice they exist.

Edited by AlexOvd
  • Upvote 3

For future reference, as well as tips for the charity, let's just say, (don't want to get anybody in trouble,) the staff may or may not accept beers as a personal thank you... 😉

We were using the oxylers one to store our beer and collecting some as we moved between Other, Pyramid and JP... The staff there were fantastic (thank you if any of you are on here) always happy, helpful and quick... there was rarely even anybody in front of us. never mind a full queue. They definitely deserved a beer or two. 😉 

Edited by Alvoram

5 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

For future reference, as well as tips for the charity, let's just say, (don't want to get anybody in trouble,) the staff may or may not accept beers as a personal thank you... 😉

We were using the oxylers one to store our beer and collecting some as we moved between Other, Pyramid and JP... The staff there were fantastic (thank you if any of you are on here) always happy, helpful and quick... there was rarely even anybody in front of us. never mind a full queue. They definitely deserved a beer or two. 😉 

But just to be clear, whilst they may have deserved one, you definitely didn't give any of the volunteers at the Oxlyers lockup any beers. Whatsoever. 

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

But just to be clear, whilst they may have deserved one, you definitely didn't give any of the volunteers at the Oxlyers lockup any beers. Whatsoever. 

Nope, definitely didn't hand any of them a 4 pack of Meantime London Pale Ale at all... They wouldn't accept it obviously... 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We made the risky decision of setting up one of our tents in Darble after carrying it from Pennards, and chucking all our stuff in it on Sunday morning, rather than risk an incredibly long lock up queue that night. Figured we'd spend much less time just packing away one tent. Of course, that left all our stuff neatly packed up inside and ready for anyone to simply walk away with, but by that time we'd consumed all our booze, had our phones and wallets on us and so all a thief would get is a backpack full of dirty clothes.

The risk paid off and we were off site quickly while the PGA lock up had an almighty queue.

Edited by kalifire

6 hours ago, kalifire said:

We made the risky decision of setting up one of our tents in Darble after carrying it from Pennards, and chucking all our stuff in it on Sunday morning, rather than risk an incredibly long lock up queue that night. Figured we'd spend much less time just packing away one tent. Of course, that left all our stuff neatly packed up inside and ready for anyone to simply walk away with, but by that time we'd consumed all our booze, had our phones and wallets on us and so all a thief would get is a backpack full of dirty clothes.

The risk paid off and we were off site quickly while the PGA lock up had an almighty queue.

Never thought of this, definitely something to consider!