Thefts/Robberies

august1

15 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Irish "fests" are a shitshow, pull the other one horse.

I remember at Oxegen 2006 people were throwing unopened cans of beer across the campsite on Sunday night, as well as setting their tents on fire. Was ridiculous.

Edited by Dave_c

18 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Tell that to the lovely person who robbed my phone from my tent as I was sleeping. I had literally everything else in the lockups. When I mentioned it to one of the stewards they said they'd heard multiple reports of tent robberies. It's always the same at glasto every year. What I can't understand is how the festival can get a license with absolutely no security presence in the campsites whatsoever. In Ireland you wouldn't get a license to run the event like that. Tent robberies are rampant at the festival every year but the organisers don't give a toss. I don't expect anything to change next year.

Its pretty insane how they get the license on a security front, the festival entry is an absolute joke too!

1 hour ago, Dave_c said:

I remember at Oxegen 2006 people were throwing unopened cans of beer across the campsite on Sunday night, as well as setting their tents on fire. Was ridiculous.

No different to Reading/Leeds and probably other festivals at the same time

18 hours ago, CauliflowerEar said:

says the poster who i don't recall making any real contribution to the conversation apart from to throw out insults/obscenities 🤭

Says the troll. 

21 hours ago, Charliehmiller said:

Someone went on an absolute rampage near us. We camped in the Hawkwell area. 

Sliced open neighbours tent (right next to the zip), Went into their neighbours tent and took a dump inside. Few more tents open but nothing stolen.

Then ended up at my mates tent where his bag had been stolen, but all contents (except some pants and socks) were emptied into his tent with a new unknown rucksack laying there. 

Can't confirm it's the same person but that was ours and security's best guess.

Someone taking a shite in someone else's tent is rancid, but it would be funny depending on the type of person the victim was. 

• Downvote 1

On 7/5/2022 at 6:21 AM, Wooderson said:

The stats show there was a tiny amount of - at least reported so far - theft this year.

You were sadly very very unlucky to have your phone nicked.

A widespread increase in police and security isnt warranted.

Nobody is asking for a widespread increase in Police and security. But SOME security presence in the campsites at night time would be an improvement. Glasto isn't like other arena festivals where there's always people in the campsites drinking. During the headliners and after the campsites are completely deserted.

7 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Nobody is asking for a widespread increase in Police and security. But SOME security presence in the campsites at night time would be an improvement. Glasto isn't like other arena festivals where there's always people in the campsites drinking. During the headliners and after the campsites are completely deserted.

There certainly used to be.  I remember sitting around our camp in Big Ground (pre-2017) and security / stewards wandering through the tents was a fairly regular occurrence.

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

I think most people use the lockups rather that leave valuables in their tent tho.

This approach is fullproof. A rando security guard in a field on the other hand isnt.

I would much prefer the fest continue to support and invest in lockups as a facility rather than security personnel.

Just now, Wooderson said:

I think most people use the lockups rather that leave valuables in their tent tho.

This approach is fullproof. A rando security guard in a field on the other hand isnt.

I would much prefer the fest continue to support and invest in lockups as a facility rather than security personnel.

Exactly, how would the security guard know that they are going in someone else’s tent, it’s impossible to police 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, charlie.light said:

But it’s not the casual ones we need to worry about, it’s the organised ones who go for the prime reason of stealing! Would security deter them 

But they have to get a ticket in the first place. You really want to tell me lots of organised thieves try for a glasto ticket cause its easy to get? No. Theft is much more rampant in the u.s due to the fact you can get a ticket to the event and its easy to know where to steal from. Phone thefts are ridiculous over here, especially this last year because people lost any awareness of their surroundings. Never get in the middle of a crowd of an edm or hip hop act at a multi genre u.s fest or your phone gets nicked.

Edited by Suprefan

37 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

But they have to get a ticket in the first place. You really want to tell me lots of organised thieves try for a glasto ticket cause its easy to get? No. Theft is much more rampant in the u.s due to the fact you can get a ticket to the event and its easy to know where to steal from. Phone thefts are ridiculous over here, especially this last year because people lost any awareness of their surroundings. Never get in the middle of a crowd of an edm or hip hop act at a multi genre u.s fest or your phone gets nicked.

By the sounds of things getting into the festival isn't an issue anymore.

I was wondering around Monday, due to the issues with leaving site. Came across a couple looking for their tent, they had gone back to the car for the first load and left no one at the tent.

Tent, clothes, new boots and house keys all taken. 

Never leave your tent like that on a Monday. I Do hope they just had their bearings wrong as the landscape changes on Monday as people leave

3 hours ago, fred quimby said:

I was wondering around Monday, due to the issues with leaving site. Came across a couple looking for their tent, they had gone back to the car for the first load and left no one at the tent.

Tent, clothes, new boots and house keys all taken. 

Never leave your tent like that on a Monday. I Do hope they just had their bearings wrong as the landscape changes on Monday as people leave

Probably a couple of 'Bucket List' types, if they weren't they wouldn't have been so foolish. I hope it doesn't taint their imaginary tick beside an imaginary list, a ridiculous term people like to throw around these days because of a corny American film from the noughties. 

• Downvote 2

On 7/5/2022 at 7:32 PM, CauliflowerEar said:

Someone taking a shite in someone else's tent is rancid, but it would be funny depending on the type of person the victim was. 

That's true... I can imagine just the type... 

I agree , some big burly security types , maybe could be with the camp site stewards.

we stay in South Park just behind Cinemageddon. we were rudely woken one morning to a guys having a massive episode. he could barely walk. he was trying to run away from him mates.  He was taking massive swings at them screaming, he was running into tents with people sleeping in them. It took five of them to hold him down. They managed to get the camp site stewards to come . I mean what could two old ladies and an old guy do. They saw how many people it was taking to hold him down, and he was still getting up and swinging at his mates . he didn't know where he was or what was going on. The camp site people were calling for security to come ASAP frantically radioing for them. Then the guy came out of his psychosis and calmed down and started talking to his friends. The whole thing was going on for 30 minutes. No security came. he ending up walking off to get some water with his friends at his side, before coming back to sleep it off.

everyone was out of their tents watching this unfold, preying he wouldn't come their way, and his mates could hold him down.

I woudl have liked security at that point , woudl have helped him also.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:55 PM, Wooderson said:

I had literally everything in the lockups except my phone which got robbed. So no it’s not foolproof and a visible security presence is a good deterrent. A lot of people don’t even know the lockups are a thing at the festival. 2 of my group who attended in 2019 only heard about the lockups this year. The lockup service that the fest offers is great but they need some security presence in the campsites as well. It’s standard for festivals to have that. 

9 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I agree , some big burly security types , maybe could be with the camp site stewards.

we stay in South Park just behind Cinemageddon. we were rudely woken one morning to a guys having a massive episode. he could barely walk. he was trying to run away from him mates.  He was taking massive swings at them screaming, he was running into tents with people sleeping in them. It took five of them to hold him down. They managed to get the camp site stewards to come . I mean what could two old ladies and an old guy do. They saw how many people it was taking to hold him down, and he was still getting up and swinging at his mates . he didn't know where he was or what was going on. The camp site people were calling for security to come ASAP frantically radioing for them. Then the guy came out of his psychosis and calmed down and started talking to his friends. The whole thing was going on for 30 minutes. No security came. he ending up walking off to get some water with his friends at his side, before coming back to sleep it off.

everyone was out of their tents watching this unfold, preying he wouldn't come their way, and his mates could hold him down.

I woudl have liked security at that point , woudl have helped him also.

To me as a medical professional, the guy needed medical assistance possible sedation, security could have made it a hell of a lot worse. This is why we always avoid police presence in mental health jobs as when they arrive it makes things 100 times worse. Now thinking about it, paramedics wouldn’t be allowed to sedate him on site as they operate under SWAST pgd meaning they are only allowed to use drugs like diazepam in certain situations and deviation from the drug indications is not allowed in any circumstances. I think the physiatrist team on site can though so would need transferring there. It’s such a scary thing to happen not just to the witnesses but to the patient and things like holding him down and trying to immobilise things can Cause the patient to deteriorate rapidly , such a hard one to  manage in a festival environment though 

1 hour ago, charlie.light said:

To me as a medical professional, the guy needed medical assistance possible sedation, security could have made it a hell of a lot worse. This is why we always avoid police presence in mental health jobs as when they arrive it makes things 100 times worse. Now thinking about it, paramedics wouldn’t be allowed to sedate him on site as they operate under SWAST pgd meaning they are only allowed to use drugs like diazepam in certain situations and deviation from the drug indications is not allowed in any circumstances. I think the physiatrist team on site can though so would need transferring there. It’s such a scary thing to happen not just to the witnesses but to the patient and things like holding him down and trying to immobilise things can Cause the patient to deteriorate rapidly , such a hard one to  manage in a festival environment though 

I agree. Many years ago I was leading a team doing traffic and people control, i.e. ensuring the two never collided, on the Glade crossroads at about 1 am Sunday morning. One of my team alerted me two a guy obviously needing attention on the side of the railway track. I approached a man curled up in a semi fetal position. Personal experience made me realise that he was on a "bad trip". My immediate reaction was to try to talk to him and offer medical and/or wefare aid. He then stood up and starting trashing our hut and threatning one of my team. I was still reluctant to call regular security, so I contacted our own security, knowing they would be more likely to bring in medical. Unfortunately their assessment on seeing him was to call regular security who put in a land rover and drove off. Not the outcome I wanted.