The 1975

NorthernSoul52

8 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Personally, I just think Healy is really bad at the whole edgy, ironic act he tries to put on and just isn't as clever at it as he thinks he is, and he ends up making comments that can be genuinely hurtful. I think intent is important (I know this is an almost dead concept these days) and don't think he is actually racist or as problematic as some would have you believe, but I think he is sometimes very thick and naive in how he acts, and I can see how some people have a problem with him. He is very keen on the whole 'playing a rockstar' act and always does it onstage. The concept behind their recent tour was very original and quite fascinating, and when he talks about not always coming across as perfect, and wanting to purposefully show the other side of the coin because manufactured 'niceness' is so prevalant and clearly bulls*, it's an interesting idea, but the execution is very bad a lot of the time, and he might be the most pretentious musician about.

However, a lot of hate he gets is clearly coming from people (above poster, that article) who already dislike him/ The 1975 and are waiting with baited breath for him to do something daft so they can ignore all the subtleties of the situation and call for him to be cancelled (lol, good luck with that).

Also obviously not helpful for fanboys/girls to discredit people like Rina Sawayama, who clearly have valid concerns about his behaviour.

I don't care in the slightest about him or them, if he didn't do these things I'd be indifferent. but I do dislike him because of some of his behaviour...which in some cases he seems to pretty much shrug off, as you say being "edgy". 

It would seem actions have consequences and those who think they still get all 5 star reviews haven't read the recent ones that have popped up in the last couple of weeks, which were more 3 or 4.  

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Not to totally dismiss what he’s said as harmless because he has said some awfully sh*tty things and as an adult man in the spotlight he should know better by now, but it always struck me as over-trying fake rock star schtick rather than the words and actions of an actual monster, and although he was right to be called out, I don’t think he’s deserving of being ‘cancelled’ outright and his career destroyed (and tbf, I very much think he’s gonna headline next year, so he seems like he’s gonna be fine).

So not to totally dismiss it, but he can carry on as he always has without consequence? 

He could maybe be better or do a mea culpa? 

22 hours ago, crumbler said:

Her most recent album flopped and her set would've probably gone totally unnoticed by the wider public if she hadn't mentioned him. I get people being mad about it but in this instance I found it to be a pretty distasteful clout grab.

What a load of bollocks. How is being a Japanese/British singer calling out your label owner for asian racist jokes a form of clout grabbing? Not sure she needs any clout grabbing whilst playing to a a busy tent at a prime hour and being invited by  friend Elton John onstage in his last UK show.

Edited by FrogLobster

59 minutes ago, clarkete said:

So not to totally dismiss it, but he can carry on as he always has without consequence? 

He could maybe be better or do a mea culpa? 

Yeah didn’t mean to say he should just pretend all of this didn’t happen and wait for it to all quietly go away - he should really put his hands up and admit that he’s made some mistakes, gonna work on it, apologise etc - but, realistically, he probably can just shut up for a while and this will all go away, for the most part. It’s not career ending stuff, and is largely just a guy being a massive w*nker. Rings very similar to Kanye in that way - a guy who never gets properly called out so just continues to say and do escalatingly w*nkery things until people finally say ‘enough’. Maybe this was his ‘enough’, as it’s certainly had people talking and reevaluating… but we shall see. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

What a load of bollocks. How is being a Japanese/British singer calling out your label owner for asian racist jokes a form of clout grabbing? Not sure she needs any clout grabbing whilst playing to a a busy tent at a prime hour and being invited by  friend Elton John onstage in his last UK show.

Guess I'm a cynic. I'm not some Healy superfan either, her concerns are as valid (if not more so) than anyone else's but something about the performative nature of it left a bad taste. Just my take and clearly I'm in the minority.

1 hour ago, jonnyisRFC said:

They’re replacing Lewis Capaldi and are now headlining Reading and Leeds again this year. They’ve now headlined 3 out of the last 4 festivals. 

Of course if offered the gig, they'd take it, but a bit poor on R+Ls front to not give the leg up to another artist. Are they getting as limited in their pool of headliners as Download have been for years?

What am I missing re 1975 then? No idea why, but as a band they seem to have completely missed me by! 

Recall one song 5 years ago or so about chocolate or something and then saw a creepy ass video of the lead singer checking id's at a gig and that is basically my only knowledge of them as a band. 

Absolutely amazed to read that they are considered headline material. But, then I am now old! So not sure how relevant my take is. 
Having said that, the likes of Swift etc really are not my cup of tea either, but I do at least completely understand how she would be a huge pull as a headliner etc. Just not seeing it with 1975. 

Could well just be living under a rock and somehow missing how huge they have become.. 

6 minutes ago, Gashead86 said:

What am I missing re 1975 then? No idea why, but as a band they seem to have completely missed me by! 

Recall one song 5 years ago or so about chocolate or something and then saw a creepy ass video of the lead singer checking id's at a gig and that is basically my only knowledge of them as a band. 

Absolutely amazed to read that they are considered headline material. But, then I am now old! So not sure how relevant my take is. 
Having said that, the likes of Swift etc really are not my cup of tea either, but I do at least completely understand how she would be a huge pull as a headliner etc. Just not seeing it with 1975. 

Could well just be living under a rock and somehow missing how huge they have become.. 

Like them or not, they're now huge for a 'non-heritage' guitar band.

Usually can find tickets for arena/big outdoor shows but their UK tour early this year was next to impossible to find resale tickets for, same with their Finsbury Park show this summer. They did a US arena tour late last year and have booked another for this year with 30+ dates.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Of course if offered the gig, they'd take it, but a bit poor on R+Ls front to not give the leg up to another artist. Are they getting as limited in their pool of headliners as Download have been for years?

no they are j v in demand at the moment and its probs quite difficult to find a better replacement a month before the festival

On 7/10/2023 at 11:44 AM, Gashead86 said:

In fairness, 1975 aren't the most obvious of bands to imagine becoming as big as they have. They're not particulalrly cookie cutter (they do have some overly poppy singles tho), and Matty's lyrics are pretty unique for a band of their size and demographic; songs like 'Part of the Band' and 'Love It If We Made It' aren't exactly experimental, but they're definitely targeting challenging themes in a pretty succinct manner imo.

As much as I love them, they're also wildly, wildly inconsistent. They own Dirty Hit (or at least partially) meaning they have complete control over their own output - albums like 'Notes on a Conditional Form' are objectively too long, but feature 6/7 absolutely terrific tracks, alongside just as many naff songs. I'd recommend starting at their newest album if you wanted to give them a go, as it's pretty great and often sounds like an 80s synth pop record

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Really, why did she do that? Was it something he said?

Rina is Japanese so understandably she takes great issue with the asian racist jokes and remarks Matty has been making publicly. Especially as he is a major shareholder of her record label.

Edited by FrogLobster

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, reflekting said:

So they managed to get a whole festival cancelled in Malaysia.

I hope the backlash against the LBGT community in Malaysia isn't too harsh after this. 

Don't like the lad one bit... But I stand with him here 100%. That's the sort of thing I want to see people with that kind of platform using it for, good for him. 

Like you, I really hope there is no backlash, but you can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs. 

• Upvote 1