The 1975

NorthernSoul52

29 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

At a pinch, I'd have said Jamie T with an undercard could shift 40,000, but it would have to be a terrific bill. Know he sold out Alexandra Palace but that's, what, 10,000? 

Ya. Not sure id say the undercard is terrific but that might just be that it’s not my kind of music so I’m a bit ignorant? What happens if they sell say 20k? Do they cancel?

18 minutes ago, becca_ said:

Ya. Not sure id say the undercard is terrific but that might just be that it’s not my kind of music so I’m a bit ignorant? What happens if they sell say 20k? Do they cancel?

I heavily doubt it would get hooked unless it had been an absolute disaster in terms of sales. But I'd like to know how much it all costs from an infrastructure standpoint.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I heavily doubt it would get hooked unless it had been an absolute disaster in terms of sales. But I'd like to know how much it all costs from an infrastructure standpoint.

And how it was proposed as a viable option. I don’t even think ally pally sold out for ages so it’s a bizarre choice. 

48 minutes ago, becca_ said:

And how it was proposed as a viable option. I don’t even think ally pally sold out for ages so it’s a bizarre choice. 

He wasn't who I would have expected for it. Like, to dig up the old argument again, think Foals would have made more sense as a booking, particularly for its non-festival status.

Just now, becca_ said:

Also confusing but tbf he hasn’t announced his undercard yet so maybe that’s what’s holding it back? And it’s £90 vs Jamie T’s £52. 

Just think it’s quite bizarre he’s gone from Glastonbury headliner to struggling to sell out 1 night in London at a capacity of 40,000  - £90 or not!

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Just think it’s quite bizarre he’s gone from Glastonbury headliner to struggling to sell out 1 night in London at a capacity of 40,000  - £90 or not!

The hype surrounding him seems to have died off a bit imo, at least with the younger crowd who would largely go to that kind of show, and I’m sure his more laid back new music doesn’t help things in that respect given it sounds more suitable for a Radio 2 crowd. It’ll probably sell out eventually, especially when the undercard is announced, but he’s certainly not a instant sell out type of act anymore, if he ever was. 

Stormzy conciously didn't do any big obvious radio singles this time around – he's gone more of a Little Simz route which I have to respect him for as it's a great record, but it also means that casual fans won't be dropping £90 easily. He'd still sell out an arena tour at £50ish though just from name alone.

The 1975 tour was one of the hardest tours in recent memory to find resale tickets on, which was a huge indicator about the demand – they've just really grafted, put the work in, the live show is brilliant, and the general shennanigans from Healy also gets people interested in wanting to be there.

Edited by jannybruck
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Stormzy conciously didn't do any big obvious radio singles this time around – he's gone more of a Little Simz route which I have to respect him for as it's a great record, but it also means that casual fans won't be dropping £90 easily. He'd still sell out an arena tour at £50ish though just from name alone.

The 1975 tour was one of the hardest tours in recent memory to find resale tickets on, which was a huge indicator about the demand – they've just really grafted, put the work in, the live show is brilliant, and the general shennanigans from Healy also gets people interested in wanting to be there.

Pretty much sums up the situation. The latter have never been as a big of a live pull as they are now, save maybe for that moment in mid-2019 after their arena run behind A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships.

Can’t deny that they’ve done a great job at getting people excited about them again and their live shows through word of mouth, even if Matty’s antics no doubt had some hand in that (which I’m sure was his intention). Not sure if it’ll be next year after them already having done a summer of touring/festivals, but definitely thinking they’re back in the headliner conversation now, maybe after their next album. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Can’t deny that they’ve done a great job at getting people excited about them again and their live shows through word of mouth, even if Matty’s antics no doubt had some hand in that (which I’m sure was his intention). Not sure if it’ll be next year after them already having done a summer of touring/festivals, but definitely thinking they’re back in the headliner conversation now, maybe after their next album. 

No reactions left but fully concur.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Agree with pretty much all of this apart from - as a British band, as long as they're still active in some capacity, I wouldn't be surprised if they agreed to headline whether they have shows around the date or not. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like most British acts would play Glastonbury even as a 1 off if given the chance to headline. Who knows though, really.

24 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Agree with pretty much all of this apart from - as a British band, as long as they're still active in some capacity, I wouldn't be surprised if they agreed to headline whether they have shows around the date or not. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like most British acts would play Glastonbury even as a 1 off if given the chance to headline. Who knows though, really.

According to somebody on here they’re hoping to headline next year, so who knows? They’d obviously jump at the chance of doing it, but suppose it depends on if the festival has other acts in their sights who might take priority. Either way, I think it’s just a matter of ‘when’ now with them rather than ‘if’. 

A lingering concern I have is simply how many songs they have with crossover knowledge. (Having seen them several times before, I know all the songs, so am a little unsure as to which are the most readily obvious to casuals.)

The SoundSomebody ElseChocolateIt's Not Living (If It's Not With You)If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)? Possibly Love It If We Made It and Give Yourself a Try?

Would be fascinated to see if they went for the two-hour show, the ninety-minute performance or the seventy-five-minute whistle-stop tour - give or take - unfurled by Billie Eilish this year.

8 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

A lingering concern I have is simply how many songs they have with crossover knowledge. (Having seen them several times before, I know all the songs, so am a little unsure as to which are the most readily obvious to casuals.)

The SoundSomebody ElseChocolateIt's Not Living (If It's Not With You)If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)? Possibly Love It If We Made It and Give Yourself a Try?

Would be fascinated to see if they went for the two-hour show, the ninety-minute performance or the seventy-five-minute whistle-stop tour - give or take - unfurled by Billie Eilish this year.

I think with the younger generation there would be a lot of well known songs due to Radio 1 etc. Off the top of my head:

About You (everywhere at the moment - even heard it was on Love Island the other night!
I'm In Love With You
Happiness
Me & You Together Song.

With yours that's 11. That's going to be the majority of the set for casuals. May be over estimating how well known their songs are though.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They really should be doing it this year instead of AM. Think Glasto may have jumped the gun a bit by going straight for AM.

I'm probably a bit biased but I agree. 

Completely get how huge AM are so it's a big booking for the festival but feels a bit safe - The 1975 would have been the more exciting option with them being first time headliners and not having player the festival in years. 

Another reason I think they may already be front runners for next year though. Especially if the rumours are true they were due to headline until Covid came along.

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

but definitely thinking they’re back in the headliner conversation now, maybe after their next album. 

The 1975 are unquestionably a headliners at any UK festival now, they don't need another album to prove that. If AM can headline off their last two albums with zero hits and a bizarre refusal to play any of the songs that people actually want to hear live, The 1975 are a f**king strong booking in comparison. 

Edited by thatTFBguy
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

The 1975 are unquestionably a headliners at any UK festival now, they don't need another album to prove that. If AM can headline off their last two albums with zero hits and a bizarre refusal to play any of the songs that people actually want to hear live, The 1975 are a f**king strong booking in comparison. 

People not that familiar with an act will always doubt their size.

The only doubt I can see Glasto having is whether the 1975 fit the type of headliners they like to go for. Virtually all headliners in the last 10 years have been acts that would headline a festival overseas. The 1975 are not a headliner in Europe or the US.

Yes Glasto is in the UK, but there is a degree of global stardom that glastonbury goes for when picking headliners. 

Since 2008 I think only Kasabian and Stormzy are the only two headliners that wouldn’t comfortably headline a festival in any country they tour in.

I’m not going to overly research it either, but I’m pretty sure Kasabian did headline some overseas festivals at some-point.

The 1975 have a habit of headlining everywhere in the UK and playing in support duties everywhere else.

Edited by Matt42

6 hours ago, jannybruck said:

Given his Glasto history, I actually wouldn’t be surprised to see Stormzy do a secret set this year.