Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

2 minutes ago, Mark Greensmith said:

I'm surprised you'll feel that way as a big AM fan. Last time I saw them was in 2018 at TRNSMT and whilst I do agree there's minimal audience interaction, their songs carry it through for me. Really excited to see them again myself.

I agree.. they’ve always been fairly reserved on stage, I remember overhearing some management types talking to them from the sides of the stage at their Magna gig between songs (can’t remember the year) urging them to interact more.. which I found pretty irritating and I bet they did too.  Their music should be enough.  
I’ve not been a huge fan of the last two albums but the recent set list looks solid to me and I’m torn between AM (who I’ve seen loads) and Hotchip (who I’ve never seen).. going to try and to a bit of both.. 

29 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

I'm taking my eldest (12) to watch them on Monday in Brizzle. we're mostly going because he's a massive hives fan 😄 but I'm sure it'll be ace. My concern is Mrs Sprocketrocket will want to see them at Glastonbury and I won't be arsed having seen them a few weeks earlier. 

"I'll meet you at the food stall afterwards, darling. Yes, you know, the food stall!"

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zig-A-Zig-Ah said:

100% agree with this, they didn't do anything special for 2013, it just seems like they did because the setlist on that tour was imo huge.

Bands evolve and people need to remember that they aren't they same band as they were 10 years ago.

They did do something different though - they had a string section, and played Mardy Bum and A Certain Romance which weren’t staples. Neither were regulars on the tour and the latter was basically a homage to their 2007 set. Looking back they practiced that a few times in the build up and dropped it again shortly after Glastonbury.

In 2007 they did Diamonds Are Forever and had Dizzee Rascal (even if his mic didn’t work)

They won’t radically overhaul the set but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do a few different bits. 

15 minutes ago, Pipine said:

I agree.. they’ve always been fairly reserved on stage, I remember overhearing some management types talking to them from the sides of the stage at their Magna gig between songs (can’t remember the year) urging them to interact more.. which I found pretty irritating and I bet they did too.  Their music should be enough.  
I’ve not been a huge fan of the last two albums but the recent set list looks solid to me and I’m torn between AM (who I’ve seen loads) and Hotchip (who I’ve never seen).. going to try and to a bit of both.. 

Hot Chip were mega when I saw them in February! However it's a big gig to miss if you're an AM fan

I've somehow never seen them despite being the prime age group for them, decided I'm going to go for it even if this thread does its best to dampen expectations.... so hopefully it will be a great gig in comparison 😅

22 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

I wasn't there but their 2013 headline slot footage always looked incredible, they seemed bang up for it that night. 

Have this on often with a few lager beers.

To be honest, this is probably the most "entertaining" I've seen them and in a way slightly gutted that I missed it (Clash Hell Friday 2013 was a twat).  Alex Turner and Matt Helders have got loads of charisma when they want to use it, but I just get the impression that it doesn't come naturally.  For me, you could be the best musicians on the planet with a great setlist stacked with material and a huge light show etc. but in a live environment I'm much more entertained if the artist/band are giving a performance that goes beyond just paying songs.

5 minutes ago, Jcatley said:

First leg of the UK tour and they’ve opened up with Mardy Bum. A positive start 

Damn they’re really gonna make me eat my words on them not amending the setlist for this portion of the tour/Glastonbury, aren’t they?

Rest of the set seems like business as usual thus far, but let’s see eh…

When the Sun Goes Down now as well. The madlads are actually doing it - they’re playing songs people want to hear. 

Edit: oh wait now setlist.fm has been updated without it - think somebody was just being a silly goose

Edited by FloorFiller

It will be different but if they played that setlist i would be happy to do 1-7 and then move on to hot chip, assuming they start well before hot chip.

hard to decide if HC likely to get a full tent or it be a bit quiet

might have to ensure we’re at the front for HC for a guaranteed good time as wouldnt want to arrive to be at the back for hot chip