Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

9 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

Consistant opinion on here that AM are dull live and also need to go on for longer.

Only challenged by nearly everyone who has seen them live on this tour who claim they are smashing it.

It's classic boy who cried wolf though isnt it?  The Humbug tour review got some 4 and 5 star reviews.  I went the hometown leg in Sheffield.  It was sh*t.  I've seen them 4 times and only once did it really feel like they were putting a shift in and that was when they were unsigned, in their school uniforms playing the Mucky Duck in Sheffield.

I don't want to speak for everyone, but I've always found them frustrating as a live act.  They are brilliant musicians, with a great catalogue and with a bit more gusto, some proper audience interaction and a properly scheduled set, it could be breathtaking.  Instead, it's like watching statues for most of the gig, playing a tightly scheduled 90 minute set which often misses much of their best material/crowd pleasers.  I'd just like to see them reach their potential and really blow the f**king roof off.  Hopefully, this time at Glasto will be it.  If I'm let down again, then I'm out for good.

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

It's classic boy who cried wolf though isnt it?  The Humbug tour review got some 4 and 5 star reviews.  I went the hometown leg in Sheffield.  It was sh*t.  I've seen them 4 times and only once did it really feel like they were putting a shift in and that was when they were unsigned, in their school uniforms playing the Mucky Duck in Sheffield.

I don't want to speak for everyone, but I've always found them frustrating as a live act.  They are brilliant musicians, with a great catalogue and with a bit more gusto, some proper audience interaction and a properly scheduled set, it could be breathtaking.  Instead, it's like watching statues for most of the gig, playing a tightly scheduled 90 minute set which often misses much of their best material/crowd pleasers.  I'd just like to see them reach their potential and really blow the f**king roof off.  Hopefully, this time at Glasto will be it.  If I'm let down again, then I'm out for good.

I saw them at Leeds Fest on the Humbug tour and my god was it a dirge, not slightly helped by The Prodigy tearing the place apart before them. I think they’ve always tried to give off a bit of a ‘too cool to care’ vibe when performing live, but it doesn’t come off as cool most of the time, just comes off like they can’t be arsed.

Overall, I really enjoyed them last night. I was worried some of the new stuff wouldn’t translate very well in a stadium but Bodypaint was next level. I honestly don’t hate the ‘can’t be bothered attitude’. I don’t really see it as that, I just think it’s Alex’s persona. 

My only negatives were Cornerstone as an opener. It’s my favourite song but it’s too slow and almost feels wasted as an opener. Also why do they need to slow down parts of songs?! View from the Afternoon is a prime example. Slowing down the chorus just puts the whole crowd out of time, I even think Matt Helders struggles with it. 

I’m not at glasto this year but if I was, I’d probably give them a miss as I struggle to see how different it would be but overall it was a solid set and I don’t think people will be disappointed!

For people who say they are dull I’d watch the 2013 Glastonbury set, its on you tube and make your mind up. I think it was a fantastic set and one of my favourite ever headline sets at the farm. They can be dull but if they are on form it will be great and it will be a huge singalong which in my opinion is what you really want from a headline set

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I think Alex has an affinity for the farm where he actually puts in effort and wants the night to be special. I can imagine their Glastonbury show will be a lot better than the rest of their tour.

Personally interaction doesn't bother me. Play your songs, that's we pay for. I think some acts don't actually need to try hard to sound good but I'm against singing older songs in the same vein of newer one's you changed your sound for.

Middlesbrough last night was good. I thought Alex looked more engaged than he has done at a few other gigs of late, plus the crowd was quite receptive to Car material.

Cornerstone as show opener made me laugh, as while I like it, it's such a random opener choice. Also caught me out as having seen Mardy Bum as show opener at multiple stadium dates, I'd expected that to be the kickstarter. I can say as well that the great crowd reaction made me think there's merit to still playing Snap Out of It and Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High as the crowd loved both.

One drawback is that I'm not really a fan of the 505 remix. Just feels too upbeat for a distinctively sad song on record. In Coventry last week they did a sparse version with pretty much just the synth and some light guitar until the drop, and I think that was better.