Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I’d say people are being harsh on AM! It’s a great album and was constantly in my ears in 2013/14. In fact, most on here raved about it at the time.

Still stands up IMO. I guess people maybe have fatigue on it now, but I reckon it will be seen as a classic in years to come.

I mean, I don't like the song I Want It All, but the rest I still like very much. It may well be that it's a bit much it still gets played 7 songs a gig, but it's a focused and punchy album and I still enjoy it. It's not Humbug but I can still enjoy it very much.

17 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, I don't like the song I Want It All, but the rest I still like very much. It may well be that it's a bit much it still gets played 7 songs a gig, but it's a focused and punchy album and I still enjoy it. It's not Humbug but I can still enjoy it very much.

[Edit to my previous post - this is the only track I'm not a fan of on the album]

4 hours ago, Al2006 said:

Are people actually pretending AM is bad..?! 

Do I wanna know has a terrific riff. R U mine is a slightly faster version of the same song, WYOCMWYH is a boring version of R U mine. Arabella and One for the road are complete fillers with the same boring beat as WYOblah, just with slightly different moaning from turner. Knee socks is a bit faster version of those two. The good tracks from the album, like mad sounds and No1 party anthem are usually a footnote (in reviews, setlists or general opinion).

The album, while undoubtedly a great commercial success, is completely overrated.

12 hours ago, clasher said:

Do I wanna know has a terrific riff. R U mine is a slightly faster version of the same song, WYOCMWYH is a boring version of R U mine. Arabella and One for the road are complete fillers with the same boring beat as WYOblah, just with slightly different moaning from turner. Knee socks is a bit faster version of those two. The good tracks from the album, like mad sounds and No1 party anthem are usually a footnote (in reviews, setlists or general opinion).

The album, while undoubtedly a great commercial success, is completely overrated.

Sorry but I completely disagree with this.  Bait, surely?

AM is a decent album for what it is, catchy as fuck good tempo and makes you want to sing. It's not supposed to be thought of as an artistic masterpiece, they know that and so do we. 

Id rather be bopping along to Artic Monkeys than a lot of the other big commercial rock bands of that time period.

Edited by Xeph1995

2 minutes ago, Purple aki squat said:

The Reading show looked alright I thought. Alex Turner has never been the most mesmerising front man but the band in total is excellent. They are definitely headline material. Pleased to say I’m looking forward to it.

Just watched some of that set, they sound fantastic, crowd is a little flat but that's just Reading nowadays unfortunately, awful crowd and Leeds isn't much better. 

I think ranking of albums should be split by two very different experiences. 

Im terms of listening to them as a full album:

Side B of SIAS (already broken the full album rule but it has to be done) 

Humbug 

The Car

TBHC

WPSIA

Side A of SIAS 

FWN

AM

In terms of albums that have the most individual songs I would want to see live:

WPSIA (11)

The Car (8)

SIAS (7)

TBHC (7)

FWN (6)

AM (3)

Edited by castlecaryquery

On 11/3/2022 at 2:44 PM, 4AssedMonkey said:

Sorry but I completely disagree with this.  Bait, surely?

Feel free to disagree, I'm sure you're not the only one, but I'm dead serious.

I mean it's a well produced, well put together album with a consistent and coherent soundscape. Even too much so if you ask me. It is also the start of their style over substance, more of turner - less of the band, screw the bangers phase they (whether you like it or not) improved on and perfected in the following releases.

I'm obviously not telling you can't enjoy it, but I'm happy to stand behind the points made.

My favourite band - if I get a ticket on Sunday and I get to see them headline my favourite stage of my favourite festival I'll be delighted!

In terms of albums, for me it has to be:

Favourite Worst Nightmare
Humbug
Whatever People Say I Am
The Car
Suck it and See
AM
Tranquillity Base

All are fantastic albums though.

I'd rank as follows, absolutely love The Car and the journey it takes you along. Suck it and see is my absolute favourite though, it was a disappointment in 2013 that they largely steered clear except a couple of songs. 

Suck It And See

Humbug

The Car

Favourite Worst Nightmare

AM

WPSIATWIN

Tranquility Base

6 minutes ago, TheBoz said:

Catching up on Jools Holland and the new songs are sounding fantastic, Body Paint especially. I loved their 2013 set and it’ll take something special to draw me elsewhere next year!

Yeah I thought the Jools Holland thing was really good, definitely a good environment for the new songs. 

They’ve started playing some others live too, Sculptures of Anything Goes sounds excellent