Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

Right, let me rephrase.

Not a bad song and I prefer it to some of the songs on tranquility, but it just feels a bit awkward. 

I can’t help get a feeling of “we know the fans will be disappointed but we will give this to you anyway” vibe. Like honestly just break up and do this as a solo project Alex, I reckon people would prefer that to Arctic Monkeys in an identity crisis.

Love the new song, but a strange choice  as the lead single from the album on the back of their R&L shows. 
It must have been done as a strong indicator of the pace and direction this album is going in, and letting people know early doors that it’s going to be miles away from their earlier records, and even AM. So don’t be expecting any ‘bangers’ sort of thing. 

I think with that in mind the album will be received more favourably, as it was the shock of TBH&C that I think caught many off guard and instantly dismiss it. 

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

You haven't seen the socials, reddit, message boards, etc? The fans clearly aren't disappointed. 

Whenever a new single drops the fanbase will always rally behind it, I’m not surprised the fans in the Reddit threads are gushing over it. 

I’m talking about the casual audience, not the diehards. I’m interested to hear what people not that arsed about Arctic Monkeys think, because I’d hedge a bet it’s not even on their radar.

They are having a very public divorce with their old image - which is not a bad thing for musicians to do - but this late in their career surely it begs the question whether their heart is in the band anymore?

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

They are having a very public divorce with their old image - which is not a bad thing for musicians to do - but this late in their career surely it begs the question whether their heart is in the band anymore?

It could be argued that the complete opposite is true. That they are looking to adapt and evolve their sound as they mature, and their music is maturing with them. Rather then churning out ‘laddy bangers’ that would inevitably fail to reach their previous heights. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Whenever a new single drops the fanbase will always rally behind it, I’m not surprised the fans in the Reddit threads are gushing over it. 

I’m talking about the casual audience, not the diehards. I’m interested to hear what people not that arsed about Arctic Monkeys think, because I’d hedge a bet it’s not even on their radar.

Come on Matt, where's this come from? I'm not even a Monkeys fan but they've had their massive rise in popularity in AM which was coming up 10 years ago and they've released an album and one single in a different direction. Don't see why you've come to this conclusion?

On 8/28/2022 at 9:44 AM, Hugh Jass II said:

A resounding “meh” last night.

Whole gig felt flat, sound was too low, energy from the band was too low and crowd seemed more interested in filming themselves than what was happening on stage.

Frustrates me because I feel this band should have a defining show in them, but I’ve never seen them get anywhere close to it.

Me and my gf got about 20 yards in front of the disabled access platform (left hand side as you looked at the stage) about 30 mins before they were due on....filled up fast...we weren't crushed in but there wasn't much way out if you wanted to.  One guy and his girlfriend felt uncomfortable about 5 mins before...tried to get out and then had to retreat back to just behind us as there was no way out/people wouldn't move.

AM came on and it was just a sea of fucking phones in the air, I'm 6ft2 and could see the stage and screen, but my gf (who loves AM and that was the whole reason we went) is 5ft3 and couldn't see f all, she couldn't even see the massive 100 ft screens because there were fucking girls on their bfs shoulders all around us, filming the gig on their phones, and the girl next to me was doing my head in because she was filming the entire gig for snapchat.

Lasted about 40 mins and decided enough was enough and we had to get out of the crowd, for the toilet/trip to the bar/she couldn't see the screen and wanted to see something....luckily I'm quite a big guy and most people made way when they saw me coming, most people were ok but some people refused to move 'don't go to the front if you can't hack it' was one comment which wound me right up, we hadn't been anywhere near the front! One girl in particular just point blank refused to move and when I squeezed behind she pushed back deliberately. 

That was comfortably the most packed I've seen that main stage in a long time.

AM....well I didn't think they were dull as such, but Alex Turner just seems not arsed anymore, like its a chore for him to play and play old songs at that. That's the fourth time I've seen them live and I think it will be the last. They are in danger of becoming what happened to Oasis in their later years, selling out massive gigs but people are just waiting for old classics......

On a plus note we managed to get out and on a train within 30 mins of the set ending, I was in bed with MOTD on by 00:30. 🙂 

Edited by gooner1990

1 hour ago, Al2006 said:

Really love the new single, what a vocal performance from Alex.. agree that it's likely a scene setter for the album, really excited by it.

There seems to be a strange irony with some of the usual posters about this band.. the kind of ones that champion a lot of the newer and more pop-based acts to headline Glastonbury (and constantly roll out stats about streams and sales as the best indicator for a good live band, rather than ever talking about the music). And the kind of posters that are generally against the older bands (and normally more guitar-based). Why are you slamming setlists that don't include a tonne of the early stuff if you are also against bands that don't evolve and just rely on their heritage? It's bizarre.

Well said! "Shut up and give me Ritz to the Rubble Part 2"

🤦‍♂️

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Are they. Really? In terms of what exactly, not appeasing young lads by singing about getting pissed up in Sheffield? They're 7 albums in, in their 30s. The reason they're so good and still one of the biggest bands in the world is that they change up the sound with every album. I get that TBHC was the biggest change they've been through, and it was always gonna divide opinion. You can't expect successful acts to just stick to the same formula and not look to make music they like/progress. 

It's subjective. Some will like it, some won't. Public divorce is wild, arguably that 'image' you refer to was left after Suck it and See

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You enjoy moaning about people wanting tired old indie bands at Glasto, yet are now moaning that one of the biggest indie bands in the country is choosing to move away from that exact sound.

Whether you like it or not is fine, you don’t have to. But to suggest the band themselves don’t want to be doing it anymore is just odd and you projecting. Helders has done solo projects which are much more relaxed than old Arctics, Tyler Parkford is pretty involved these days too and his music isn’t hard rock either. I’ve no idea why you think Alex is on a one man mission to change the bands sound.

• Upvote 9

1 minute ago, Mouseboy11 said:

You enjoy moaning about people wanting tired old indie bands at Glasto, yet are now moaning that one of the biggest indie bands in the country is choosing to move away from that exact sound.

Whether you like it or not is fine, you don’t have to. But to suggest the band themselves don’t want to be doing it anymore is just odd and you projecting. Helders has done solo projects which are much more relaxed than old Arctics, Tyler Parkford is pretty involved these days too and his music isn’t hard rock either. I’ve no idea why you think Alex is on a one man mission to change the bands sound.

I actually agree with that...on Saturday at reading they looked very disinterested. 

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

They change their sound every album, that's why people love them. Was AM an identity crisis? Cause it sure doesn't sound like their debut album. It's called evolution. 

What the Cuban leader said 👆

You have to move on and evolve. I think some people are still crying out for 'AM 2'. I do get that, that was a special album. I have the artwork tattoo'd on me for that reason, but it doesn't work like that; every act has the right to make music that pleases them as an artist.

From what I've heard so far, I'm extremely excited for this record.

30 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Right, let me rephrase.

Not a bad song and I prefer it to some of the songs on tranquility, but it just feels a bit awkward. 

I can’t help get a feeling of “we know the fans will be disappointed but we will give this to you anyway” vibe. Like honestly just break up and do this as a solo project Alex, I reckon people would prefer that to Arctic Monkeys in an identity crisis.

You’re projecting feelings upon them. There’s absolutely no suggestion the band is having an “identity crisis” or any indication this project is any more an Alex project than the preceding 6 albums were - he has always been the primary song writer.

1 minute ago, MaxPower said:

You’re projecting feelings upon them. There’s absolutely no suggestion the band is having an “identity crisis” or any indication this project is any more an Alex project than the preceding 6 albums were - he has always been the primary song writer.

Matt does this whenever an indie/rock band drops new material these days.

Last Arcade Fire album he was claiming anyone who liked it was only doing so because they felt they had to.

18 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Me and my gf got about 20 yards in front of the disabled access platform (left hand side as you looked at the stage) about 30 mins before they were due on....filled up fast...we weren't crushed in but there wasn't much way out if you wanted to.  One guy and his girlfriend felt uncomfortable about 5 mins before...tried to get out and then had to retreat back to just behind us as there was no way out/people wouldn't move.

AM came on and it was just a sea of fucking phones in the air, I'm 6ft2 and could see the stage and screen, but my gf (who loves AM and that was the whole reason we went) is 5ft3 and couldn't see f all, she couldn't even see the massive 100 ft screens because there were fucking girls on their bfs shoulders all around us, filming the gig on their phones, and the girl next to me was doing my head in because she was filming the entire gig for snapchat.

Lasted about 40 mins and decided enough was enough and we had to get out of the crowd, for the toilet/trip to the bar/she couldn't see the screen and wanted to see something....luckily I'm quite a big guy and most people made way when they saw me coming, most people were ok but some people refused to move 'don't go to the front if you can't hack it' was one comment which wound me right up, we hadn't been anywhere near the front! One girl in particular just point blank refused to move and when I squeezed behind she pushed back deliberately. 

That was comfortably the most packed I've seen that main stage in a long time.

AM....well I didn't think they were dull as such, but Alex Turner just seems not arsed anymore, like its a chore for him to play and play old songs at that. That's the fourth time I've seen them live and I think it will be the last. They are in danger of becoming what happened to Oasis in their later years, selling out massive gigs but people are just waiting for old classics......

On a plus note we managed to get out and on a train within 30 mins of the set ending, I was in bed with MOTD on by 00:30. 🙂 

Legit on the phone thing - had to ask someone (politely) to not record the entire Wet Leg gig I was at as I watching it through her phone. She was visibly annoyed and said “how else am I going to capture it?”

insane, really think gig etiquette went down the toilet with Covid.

30 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Like honestly just break up and do this as a solo project Alex, I reckon people would prefer that to Arctic Monkeys in an identity crisis.

He quite clearly could if he wanted to or if the band didn't want to go in this direction, or he could reignite TLSP (2024 for the octtenial reunion though), but clearly the lads enjoy making music and touring together. And they still play a decent amount of their "old" music live (albeit not enough for everyone), so I don't think its ruining their reputation or identity. These guys have been mates since primary school (and Nick since high school), and they get to make music and tour the world together and somehow manage to keep their music and style fresh, pretty much living the dream even if they are seen as Alex's "backing band" 

19 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I'm a huge fan but would never say they're an outstanding live band. It's just the way Alex Turner is though imo, he's never gonna be a Brandon Flowers or whatever. The tunes are great though although they butcher some old songs by playing them at half pace.

Yeah I think this pretty much sums it up - they could play their first two albums in their entirety and they would probably still look to be going through the motions on stage. It’s the songs themselves that make these appear ‘great’ when you’re in the crowd itself, rather than the band delivering a phenomenal live experience. 

Probably the opposite of say, Coldplay, who’s songs are record are pish, but really taken to the next level at their live shows. 

Edited by st dan

I think you guys are arguing past each other. That they're putting out new stuff that has a different vibe, while still mostly playing stuff from two albums ago live, and looking bored while playing that, all seems to make perfect sense.

Question is whether they pivot to a different live experience based around the new stuff, or just throw in a few tracks and continue to get bored playing an album from last decade.