LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

15 minutes ago, Drinky said:

That Radiohead setlist was incredible. The show was terrible. Both these things can be - and were - true, and I left disappointed.

I agree. I was too far back, amongst a pretty disinterested crowd, and the whole thing just felt so flat. I then saw (basically) the same show in Manchester a week later and had a great time. 

7 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

I agree. I was too far back, amongst a pretty disinterested crowd, and the whole thing just felt so flat. I then saw (basically) the same show in Manchester a week later and had a great time. 

No matter how famous Radiohead are. 

People will still assume there gonna see a 90's rock band and get miserable when that's not the case.  .

I mean it's now over 20 years since Kid A 

I love Radiohead but definitely an act it's better to see in their own show and not at a festival imo

Did the same as you caught both shows manc was so much better

Edited by Ben7amin_

17 minutes ago, Franky said:

Now I certainly don’t stay there all day or even go there at all some days but people forget Glastonbury isn’t just about the music. It’s a place friends can go and just enjoy the environment.  👍

Yes but it's amazing how many people who don't know music do just hang around the Pyramid stage all day whether or not they love or hate the music and people then wonder why the atmosphere can be sh*t for certain acts.

It's why if I really love and care about an act I am seeing at the Pyramid I do try and get a little further forward. The casuals who don't really care about the music at all have a tendency to spoil the atmosphere for others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Completely agree but chatting to people at Glastonbury I am frequently amazed by how many just stay at the Pyramid all day regardless and how little musical knowledge they appear to have.

Never ceased to amaze and confuse me

But it's probably for the best

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

It's why if I really love and care about an act I am seeing at the Pyramid I do try and get a little further forward. The casuals who don't really care about the music at all have a tendency to spoil the atmosphere for others.

Even then it’s a risk, as you could end up next to people who’re only there for the following act (or even the headliner if they’re big enough). I was surrounded by people who couldn’t give a toss about Lil Nas X. 

14 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Even then it’s a risk, as you could end up next to people who’re only there for the following act (or even the headliner if they’re big enough). I was surrounded by people who couldn’t give a toss about Lil Nas X. 

Yeah there were loads of people around me having full scale discussions throughout Lil Nax X.  

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

She never said the big American act that had just called was female though, that was an assumption made elsewhere. On the October interview she said one Female headliner and a Female legend.

I agree with you they worry too much. It’s just the way of the world though that anything she says gets twisted and the Internet runs with it. You’re probably right that they’re better saying nothing because ‘maybe we’ll have 2 Female headliners next year, fingers crossed’ becomes ‘Glastonbury WILL have 2 Female headliners’ followed by outrage when that happens.

She could just stop doing interviews or say nothing beyond ‘we hope we’ll have a really good line up’ but then do we obsessives really want that? 

I do sometimes wonder if there’s an element of teasing too, using the same tactics O’Leary uses to keep Ryanair in the public eye. An interview that generates a bit of publicity is free but done well can go a long way

I was working on the assumption that Coldplay & Dua were both locks which just left one slot which would have to have been a woman. To me it was pretty clear she meant 2 of the 3 actual headliners could be women, not the 'legend slot is a headliner when it suits us' sort of thing. 

Yeah I agree it's free publicity and I like hearing it, I just feel like it adds to the problems they think they face at line up announcement time. 

31 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes but it's amazing how many people who don't know music do just hang around the Pyramid stage all day whether or not they love or hate the music and people then wonder why the atmosphere can be sh*t for certain acts.

Same.  Always try to get near the front left screen as it's usually a decent party atmosphere and you can get a decent view.  A couple of times I've ended up further back and whilst it doesn't ruin it, it does take the polish off when you're struggling to even get a view of the screens and dodging tutting c**ts with picnic blankets and f**king chairs.

26 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Yeah there were loads of people around me having full scale discussions throughout Lil Nax X.  

Yes proper spoiled The National for me before Foos which is why I'd rather them headlining their own stage.

1 hour ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I love Radiohead but definitely an act it's better to see in their own show and not at a festival imo

Saw Radiohead both in arenas and festivals and their festival sets were all much much better. Rock Werchter 2017, Lolla Berlin 2016 and NOS Alive 2016 were magical. Great crowds too. Their indoor show in 2012 was also fun but not on the same level as these festival shows. 

44 minutes ago, kalifire said:

True I still remember the miserable bastards who wouldn't let me go in front of them for Mavis Staples even though they were only there for Kylie/Miley and I had told them I would be long gone by then.

43 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Safest bet is to just go to West Holts, you rarely if ever encounter such nonsense

I go where the music takes me. Last year that was probably West Holts more than anywhere else but I'm not going to miss an act I love because of the stage they're on. I just try and find a good spot with a good vibe.

14 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Same.  Always try to get near the front left screen as it's usually a decent party atmosphere and you can get a decent view.  A couple of times I've ended up further back and whilst it doesn't ruin it, it does take the polish off when you're struggling to even get a view of the screens and dodging tutting c**ts with picnic blankets and f**king chairs.

My way of doing the Pyramid is all the way in (inside the front barrier) or all the way out (by the last repeater speaker)

I find the field dips down a bit when the hill ends and people are annoyed that they can't see anything. Right at the back speaker you have good sound and people have accepted they can't see anything, tends to be a good vibe up there.

7 minutes ago, matrainertje said:

Saw Radiohead both in arenas and festivals and their festival sets were all much much better. Rock Werchter 2017, Lolla Berlin 2016 and NOS Alive 2016 were magical. Great crowds too. Their indoor show in 2012 was also fun but not on the same level as these festival shows. 

Radiohead at Rock Werchter 2017 is maybe the best headline set I've ever seen. It was like they felt the pressure too much for Glastonbury

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

I was working on the assumption that Coldplay & Dua were both locks which just left one slot which would have to have been a woman. To me it was pretty clear she meant 2 of the 3 actual headliners could be women, not the 'legend slot is a headliner when it suits us' sort of thing. 

Yeah I agree it's free publicity and I like hearing it, I just feel like it adds to the problems they think they face at line up announcement time. 

My theory at the time of the podcast was that they had Dua signed up, were trying to get Madge and then had a call from someone else who was suddenly available (Stevie). This is why Emily said they might/may have 2 female headliners and is why I was never sure on Coldplay even though people kept saying they were booked.
Since then, Madge has f**ked off, Stevie was signed up and Coldplay (who were some kind of standby act) have been drafted in.

Probably nonsense, but there you go!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

My theory at the time of the podcast was that they had Dua signed up, were trying to get Madge and then had a call from someone else who was suddenly available (Stevie). This is why Emily said they might/may have 2 female headliners and is why I was never sure on Coldplay even though people kept saying they were booked.
Since then, Madge has f**ked off, Stevie was signed up and Coldplay (who were some kind of standby act) have been drafted in.

Probably nonsense, but there you go!

Coldplay being willing to be a standby act makes sense. Chris knows he'll get grief for tuning up again but they are genuine friends of the festival and being able to get an act like that to help out when budgets are squeezes is an ace in the pocket that not every festival is lucky enough to have.

3 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I had listened to them a reasonable amount and liked them so was looking forward to seeing them.  My opinion of the band and their fans were formed after seeing them.  So still not sure why you thought I didn't want to be there.  I did otherwise I wouldn't have been there!  You seem to be offended that I didn't enjoy something that you liked.  

Not offended. It's just odd. You could have gone elsewhere. There was nothing wrong with the band's attitude and they were arguably at the peak of their powers. Sorry you didn't like it, but they didn't do anything out of the ordinary, apart from put on a great show. 

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Loved Radiohead in 2017, and I say that as more of a casual fan.

It was great where I was down the front. Problem is, if you stand at the back at any festival, you won't get the same atmosphere and are basically watching it on screens.

24 minutes ago, fullfathom5 said:

Problem is, if you stand at the back at any festival, you won't get the same atmosphere and are basically watching it on screens.

Pyramid - inside the barrier or forget it

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Not offended. It's just odd. You could have gone elsewhere. There was nothing wrong with the band's attitude and they were arguably at the peak of their powers. Sorry you didn't like it, but they didn't do anything out of the ordinary, apart from put on a great show. 

There wasn't a great deal else on that I was interested in as I recall (this is V not Glastonbury we're talking about) and I was with others who were bigger fans so I stayed to the end.  And the bigger fans in my party weren't overwhelmed either.  "Great show" is of course subjective, you thought it was, I didn't.