LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

39 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes and one of my favourite bands Radiohead have done it they have changed massively and I have mostly loved their changes but I appreciate absolutely that a lot of people feel the same way about them that I do about Coldplay and just wished they'd play their earlier stuff. I am well aware how divisive their 2017 set was which I absolutely loved.

Not everything is for everyone, nor should it be. It's ok for artists to change their style etc and it's ok for you not to love it either. I always tell my husband that's the great thing about music as opposed to sport. It seems with sports fandom you are stuck with your choices through thick and thin but if an artist releases something you don't like even if you have previously been a big fan you can just say nope that stuff's not for me and instead find someone else who is releasing the stuff that is for you.

Great point and well made.  You could chuck a good few big artists in this bracket (AM being a good example).  I quite like how both AM and Radiohead grew and changed but I've a good mate who loves the early stuff of both but got off the lift at Kid A and Suck it & See respectively.  I think the difference is both those artists got more Avant Garde and risky, with Coldplay they went the other way.

Just now, 4AssedMonkey said:

Great point and well made.  You could chuck a good few big artists in this bracket (AM being a good example).  I quite like how both AM and Radiohead grew and changed but I've a good mate who loves the early stuff of both but got off the lift at Kid A and Suck it & See respectively.  I think the difference is both those artists got more Avant Garde and risky, with Coldplay they went the other way.

I have it with more niche artists as well where I adore some of their work but not a huge fan of other parts like John Grant and Sufjan Stevens. Some of their stuff is absolutely top tier but other stuff I'm not as interested in. I'm sure some people probably do with Beck as well as he goes between funky and folky. There'll be some who love both but others who only like part.

It's unreasonable to expect artists to never experiment and change but I always say the great thing is you decide with your money what you want to continue to invest in.

1 minute ago, mouserat said:

I mostly can't get past the fact someone took their motorbike to the Pyramid stage...and to think people today complain about a few picnic chairs.

Yea but look at the amount of space

5 minutes ago, mouserat said:

I mostly can't get past the fact someone took their motorbike to the Pyramid stage...and to think people today complain about a few picnic chairs.

That's nothing

One year an old mate of mine (now sadly deceased) took a ford Transit to the Other Stage (probably NME in those days)

1 hour ago, mouserat said:

Along the hill towards what's now Kids etc, I recall there being a camp of bikers with the obligatory string between each of their handlebars to "fence off" their camp. 

It also wasn't uncommon that along the track up the hill from this point of the pyramid you'd see kids taking girls for a spin on the back of their trail bikes (all without helmets obviously as no coppers were on site then) 

18 hours ago, mouserat said:

Also tents in the pyramid field - 1986 

IMG_0229.jpeg