Time to throw the towel in?

JoeyT

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I need to work out how to not let the Farm cause havoc on my feet/legs. After the first day they were pretty sore already.

The answer is to listen to your body .. if you are tired and struggling there really isn’t any point pushing through it will just  impact more in the long run … go and see an act that you can sit down for 

10 minutes ago, henry bear said:

We’ve stopped camping. I no longer particularly enjoy it in any situation, and am no longer interested in/capable of staying up all night. And we don’t spend that much (compared to some of the other options). We got an Airbnb barn conversion a short bus/taxi ride away. Makes the festival far less of a physical ordeal. So each night we came back to this, for a nice warm shower, and catch up of Glasto on the TV, with a nightcap 

FD716832-906C-46B4-88F1-C8AE32AC6543.jpeg

Tempting, but I always told myself that if it came to that, I should let someone else have a go. After all, it's not as if I haven't tried it a few times.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Ok...I am a seasoned marathon runner, regularly run 60ish miles per week...and I was fucked by Thursday. Legs/back totally buggered. I think it's probably my age (52), never used to be this bad.

Yep it’s the ground as well but also my husband I both agree that standing still in one spot fucks us up way more than walking especially if you are watching an act where you literally can’t move. I actually walked more on Sunday than Friday but Friday was hell for me because almost every act was a busy one with very little room to move about. 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

The answer is to listen to your body .. if you are tired and struggling there really isn’t any point pushing through it will just  impact more in the long run … go and see an act that you can sit down for 

That’s true, I think we did too much walking at first.

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep it’s the ground as well but also my husband I both agree that standing still in one spot fucks us up way more than walking especially if you are watching an act where you literally can’t move. I actually walked more on Sunday than Friday but Friday was hell for me because almost every act was a busy one with very little room to move about. 

I think it was to/from the car with loads of stuff on Wednesday because I was with the family. It's their fault.

Oddly enough my step count was highest on thursday when there wasnt much to do. Stayed at certain stages for a couple acts in a row so that helped on wear and tear each day. Being in Worthy View doesnt help too much because you gotta climb that hill. I think they should address that though. Just because people paid extra for certain facilities doesnt mean you have to subject them to pushing their bodies to the limit at the end of a 12 hour day up an incline.  Likely doesnt help that Im on pure holiday so being out and about multiple days as a tourist already puts some strain and the jet lag. If I lived here it def is a diff decision so there isnt as much cost involved too.

I want to go back for  at least a 3rd time but not sure when that is at this point. Might stop going to this when the big 5-0 hits but its still plenty of festival even if you go a handful of times and great memories are made regardless.

Edited by Suprefan

Just now, Suprefan said:

Oddly enough my step count was highest on thursday when there wasnt much to do. Stayed at certain stages for a couple acts in a row so that helped on wear and tear each day. Being in Worthy View doesnt help too much because you gotta climb that hill. I think they should address that though. Just because people paid extra for certain facilities doesnt mean you have to subject them to pushing their bodies to the limit at the end of a 12 hour day up an incline. 

I want to go back for  at least a 3rd time but not sure when that is at this point. Might stop going to this when the big 5-0 hits but its still plenty of festival even if you go a handful of times and great memories are made regardless.

Sticklinch is the answer to the bill at WV. It’s a longer walk but not as taxing. 

54 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If I go back it won't be with the family.

which reminds me, my kid has been awol  since saturday.  wish he was better at responding to msg's.

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yeah also felt this - need to actually lift and move your feet regularly when stood watching someone

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sticklinch is the answer to the bill at WV. It’s a longer walk but not as taxing. 

Well itll be an interesting decision whenever it comes about on how to camp and such. Also sort of learned the lesson the hard way on tickets and such and lost a lot of time with will call this year and having to shuttle to the site after pick up. Those 4 hours made a decent difference on overall feeling physically.

To be fair I’m reasonably young/active and I still had moments where I was just absolutely gone.

It feels pretty impossible not to, just gotta remember how good the good parts were and accept you can’t always be where you want to be, I think.

The missus and I really struggled with camping this year. We both have some mobility issues and suffer from anxiety on top, and it really got to us by the end. We were camped near some really rowdy lads as well so we ended up with next to no sleep for the entire time. We could barely move by Sunday and ended up doing very little. We’re considering either hanging it up or giving Sticklinch/WV a bash if we do go again. We certainly feel like we have unfinished business with Taylor Swift and that may bring us back in, but if Macca’s triumphant set ends up punctuating our last visit, at least we ended on a high!

We’ve also realised that what we mostly want out of Glastonbury is from the music geek POV and no longer the late night stuff. If we go again, think we’ll just need to accept that and lean in to it, making the most during the day and just taking it easy at night. All sounds very un-Glastonbury I’m sure but hopping stage to stage on Friday-Sunday is the best experience you can get as a music fan imo, so if we have to drastically rethink how we approach the festival then so be it!

I was worried about my fitness before the festival, spent 3 years basically sat in front of a computer 14 hours a day and a weekly walk to asda (250m each way), in comparison to being active pre-pandemic.

Pleased to say I coped.  First festival of my 50s, definitely not my last.  Not to say there weren't aches, particularly if it involved picking stuff up off the floor while my back screamed.

Hoping to have a family one next time, different kind of festival.

25 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Right and I'm calling bullshit that you "need" to take any sort of substances to experience Glasto magic or whatever the phrase was.

Agreed, my last Glastonbury I was pregnant so very much sober and not on drugs, had a fantastic time 

1 hour ago, prestonmike said:

I've been 7 times and think this year was the one I enjoyed least of the 7, maybe its because there weren't really any bands I was excited to see on the line-up, maybe it was because the large group I used to go with has dwindled to just 3 of us and because of that I spent a large part of the festival on my own, maybe its because I picked up a cold (hopefully not covid) and felt like crap on the Sunday

But, having said all that, im sure come October, i'll be hitting F5 trying for tickets in 2023

I’ve just completed my 7th Glasto and 3rd solo and having the same thoughts / line up was average for me this year but no doubt I’ll be online again in October 

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

The missus and I really struggled with camping this year. We both have some mobility issues and suffer from anxiety on top, and it really got to us by the end. We were camped near some really rowdy lads as well so we ended up with next to no sleep for the entire time. We could barely move by Sunday and ended up doing very little. We’re considering either hanging it up or giving Sticklinch/WV a bash if we do go again. We certainly feel like we have unfinished business with Taylor Swift and that may bring us back in, but if Macca’s triumphant set ends up punctuating our last visit, at least we ended on a high!

We’ve also realised that what we mostly want out of Glastonbury is from the music geek POV and no longer the late night stuff. If we go again, think we’ll just need to accept that and lean in to it, making the most during the day and just taking it easy at night. All sounds very un-Glastonbury I’m sure but hopping stage to stage on Friday-Sunday is the best experience you can get as a music fan imo, so if we have to drastically rethink how we approach the festival then so be it!

we camped in Darble...not by choice, but because we were so exhausted from baking in the queue for gate A that we just wanted to pitch anywhere. And it was ok, flattish and quietish (when San Remo stopped). Not enough loos though, and a bit of a trek.

36 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I need to work out how to not let the Farm cause havoc on my feet/legs. After the first day they were pretty sore already.

My feet were in absolute turmoil but then I worked out on Saturday that taking nurofen stopped the pain. Short term fix but helped no end. Need to aim to shed a few stone for next year as well. Got into a couple of scenarios where there artist got everyone to crouch down and jump back up and the old knees were creaking! 

Was struggling a bit Wednesday and Thursday with the crowds but got into the zone on Friday and hit the late night areas and all started flowing well from there. 

In the future I could see myself having a nice time just chilling in the green fields with a few acts here and there and still enjoy it. 

The camping and toilets were more of an issue this time for me so might look into other more comfy options! 

I think some of us on here are the type of people who commit a lot of energy to it pre festival as well so maybe in the future I will just go with the flow a bit more.

Despite the creaking limbs I absolutely loved it this year and will be back hopefully once more next summer to give it another go! 

• Like 1