The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m not posting pictures as MetCheck isn’t pretty today. 

It’s looking like a drizzly one. Not heavy but constant rain. Could be that fine stuff that soaks you. 

Hoping for a change. 

They have a high of 15 degree Thurs lunchtime so don’t waste your time checking until closer in range 🙂 

Edited by PolygonWindow

Next week starting to look very nice, with average day temps of 25c. Slight problems early in the week with Monday (12th) icon 7/13 and gsf27 showing a bit of rain in the morning.

Wind easing off on Sunday (18th) and baro pressure holding stead(ish).

My weather mood is rising.

Screenshot_20230609-081105.png

Screenshot_20230609-081620.png

Charts are useless at the moment. We don't even know what flavour of weather we are set to get, let alone when and where that weather will occur.

For the last ever we've had a blocked pattern leading to calm, mostly pleasant weather (well, for those of us in the East). From mid festival week the ECMWF is suggesting a bit of uncertainty and a potential for wetter but still warm conditions. For what it's worth, this has happened a few times in recent weeks only for it to never materialise. The Met Office seem to reckon we'll keep pretty constant:

Into late June and early July, the UK is generally most likely to see a continuation of the relatively dry pattern with widespread often sunny and clear conditions, albeit with an increased threat of thunderstorms in the south early in this period.

So yeah, I don't bloody know.

image.png.82b2cd54c7cf3b536d0e2f538908aa4b.png

The forecasting sites are pointless at this stage - just a picture of a cloud or whatever to describe a whole day tells literally a picture, far from the whole picture.

The models and the patterns they show are what's worth keeping an eye on, and the trend right now is for a good old rodgering of high pressure.

• Like 1

Thought I'd throw my hat into the ring here, and basically I know you'll all agree...(some it'll take a while but they'll agree)

20-23c - Absolutely divine festival temperature for a festival in that, you're doing lots of walking around, you're unlikely to find much shade, you don't want to bake all day.

23-27c - Lovely lounging by the pool weather, not absolutely baking but even in the shades it's nice. 

27-32c - See above but you're going to need lots of shade and time out of the sun, don't even consider a decent walk or activity. 

Anyone liking temperatures over 32c needs assistance. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I'm hoping for 24-25c with a few fluffy white clouds in the sky. NO WIND!

I'd be disappointed if I got that on holiday by a pool though!!! I'd want 30-32 if I'm sitting on the beach!

Now you're talking my language!

54 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

20-23c - Absolutely divine festival temperature for a festival in that, you're doing lots of walking around, you're unlikely to find much shade, you don't want to bake all day.

Have to agree with this.

When it's warmer than this, the basic washing facilities, the limited shade and drinking water, the extra heat from sweaty crowds, and the unpleasantness of hot tents makes it tough going at a festival.  But it still beats a rainy one.

• Like 1

Can people please stop saying 18deg is ideal.  It was 18 here yesterday and the sun was out, but there was a slight breeze.  I went cycling and froze my tits off.  Stop it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Can people please stop saying 18deg is ideal.  It was 18 here yesterday and the sun was out, but there was a slight breeze.  I went cycling and froze my tits off.  Stop it.

It was 12 here this morning when I walked to the gym & I had a t shirt on. It was nice.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

3 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

It’s 16 degrees here today, wall to wall sunshine and lovely. I’ve a light hoodie over my T-shirt.

im not saying 20-25 isn't also nice but that’s my absolute limit. 

You lot.

3 hours ago, Boomtowner said:

20 is too cold, I like 26-27, specific I know. Enjoyed Boomtown last year(over 30 each day), but I know I was in the minority.

I was at the playground yesterday, 26 degrees. It's nice under the trees when I'm lounging on my picnic blanket, but as soon as I do any kind of effort like I would at the festival - walking 20k steps, jumping about to the Hives etc, then it just becomes exhausting in such heat and I don't even feel like drinking beer because I'm already dehydrated.

As long as it'd dry-ish and rains just early in the morning between 7-10 to keep the dust down and the ground spongey, that's perfect for me.

• Like 1