What sets will be more rammed this year?

AlexOvd

I'm pretty sure the whole of the dance music fraternity, which is massive across the whole site, who will have had enough of 3 days of full on raving will be wanting to watch Bicep for that perfect post rave comedown music. Coincide that with all the others who have an a passing interest in them as they do cross boundaries, West Holts being the smallest of the big stages, and "only" up against PSB and Kendrick lends me to think it will be absolutely rammed. I hope I'm wrong though.

Edited by rgalbraith
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Diana Ross's performance tonight maybe impacting her crowd three weeks tomorrow. 

18 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Yep gone from must see to must not see 😄 

8 hours ago, maelzoid said:

A bit conflicted about Diana Ross now. That clip doesn’t excite me, but then she’s not up against anything I desperately want to catch.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with acts who mime, but honestly think they should declare ahead of performance that they will be doing so.

It’s a shame, but pretty much everyone on that concert sounded shit or might have been lip syncing… it’s the format that does it. No one has their own sound techs or checks and one size has to fit all. 

I remain convinced that Diana is going to pull it out of the bag 3 weeks today! 

10 hours ago, kalifire said:

I actually dislike how busy it gets for the legend. The Kylie crowd was so ridiculous I ended up going somewhere else.

Same here.  I haven't bothered with the legend slot in years, usually borderline novelty act that is massively over subscribed so it takes ages to get in/out of the field through the crush.  

1 hour ago, stuie said:

It’s a shame, but pretty much everyone on that concert sounded shit or might have been lip syncing… it’s the format that does it. No one has their own sound techs or checks and one size has to fit all. 

I remain convinced that Diana is going to pull it out of the bag 3 weeks today! 

Rod Stewart can't have been lip syncing...it was shocking!!

3 hours ago, BreadMakesYouFat? said:

I was worried it would be under-attended as he's up against Macca. I hope not because the atmosphere could be incredible!

Think a lot of the young 'uns won't be too bothered about Macca

22 hours ago, Suprefan said:

If The 1975 are in JP itll be extremly rammed.

Calvin Harris is the late night ramming. 

Confidence Man will have post Wet Leg ramming.

why havent we considered that maybe 1975 pop up with Phoebe since she was supposed to tour with them.

And somebody in The Crows Nest will be rammed Sure.

lekkido in the rabbit hole on thurs is the underrated ramming.

1975 have a song with her too, 'Jesus Christ 2005 god bless America'

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

Same here.  I haven't bothered with the legend slot in years, usually borderline novelty act that is massively over subscribed so it takes ages to get in/out of the field through the crush.  

Thing is... it’s become “a thing”. Confession, my first Glastonbury, I absolutely had to be at the legend slot. And loved it so much, it’s a must see thing, almost irrespective of artist. That said, I swerved Barry Gibb for Killers in 2017. Think depending who it is, Legends is a bucket list type thing for first timers, unless it’s an artist you’re desperate to see. Think I’ll swerve Di Ro this year.

6 hours ago, rgalbraith said:

I'm pretty sure the whole of the dance music fraternity, which is massive across the whole site, who will have had enough of 3 days of full on raving will be wanting to watch Bicep for that perfect post rave comedown music. Coincide that with all the others who have an a passing interest in them as they do cross boundaries, West Holts being the smallest of the big stages, and "only" up against PSB and Kendrick lends me to think it will be absolutely rammed. I hope I'm wrong though.

I feel like Pet Shop Boys will get a big crowd up against them, and then Charli XCX will get a big pull too so not so sure. I do agree Kendrick will probably undeservedly get the smallest crowd of all the headliners though.

21 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Thing is... it’s become “a thing”. Confession, my first Glastonbury, I absolutely had to be at the legend slot. And loved it so much, it’s a must see thing, almost irrespective of artist. That said, I swerved Barry Gibb for Killers in 2017. Think depending who it is, Legends is a bucket list type thing for first timers, unless it’s an artist you’re desperate to see. Think I’ll swerve Di Ro this year.

For me its based on whether I like the music, and have seen the last 4 i attended (missed 2017). I thought Kylie was incredible but having grown up with her music on it's more my generation. Also loved Lionel, again because I liked the music.

My favourite was ELO but that was very different! 

Hated Dolly Parton, really wish I hadn't bothered but I can't remember feeling like i was missing anything else. Watched it from the tent having camped near there - that was quite novel.

Didn't watch Paul Simon or Kenny Rogers due to not knowing their music. 

Was adamant I wouldn't bother with Diana Ross when she got announced, listened to some songs and was convinced as i knew more than i thought. Now with the Fontaines clash and last night I'm wavering a bit. Think the most sensible is to position somewhere near the sides and watch the start - 15 mins is plenty of time to get to Fontaines when most of the audience is at the Pyramid 

Edited by efcfanwirral

23 hours ago, Suprefan said:

If The 1975 are in JP itll be extremly rammed.

Calvin Harris is the late night ramming. 

Confidence Man will have post Wet Leg ramming.

why havent we considered that maybe 1975 pop up with Phoebe since she was supposed to tour with them.

And somebody in The Crows Nest will be rammed Sure.

lekkido in the rabbit hole on thurs is the underrated ramming.

I feel so gloriously rammed.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

For me its based on whether I like the music, and have seen the last 4 i attended (missed 2017). I thought Kylie was incredible but having grown up with her music on it's more my generation. Also loved Lionel, again because I liked the music.

My favourite was ELO but that was very different! 

Hated Dolly Parton, really wish I hadn't bothered but I can't remember feeling like i was missing anything else. Watched it from the tent having camped near there - that was quite novel.

Didn't watch Paul Simon or Kenny Rogers due to not knowing their music. 

Was adamant I wouldn't bother with Diana Ross when she got announced, listened to some songs and was convinced as i knew more than i thought. Now with the Fontaines clash and last night I'm wavering a bit. Think the most sensible is to position somewhere near the sides and watch the start - 15 mins is plenty of time to get to Fontaines when most of the audience is at the Pyramid 

Lionel is right up there with my best ever gigs. Thought he was magnificent.

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Ok... contraversial opinion here maybe. I was at Billy Eilish on the Other Stage 2019.... and absolutely thought she was lip synching. Wasn’t certain... so checked it out on iPlayer when I got home. Still think she was. So... couple of questions. Was she? And... if so... will she?

Its all on the sound mix. She does  sing, and you can tell because there are songs you can hear her voice without effects on it and when she is talking into the mic.  The problem is if the pre recorded backing track over takes her actual vocal And you cannot discern whats legit and whats not. Its all gonna fall on whoever is at the sound desk on friday night and makes it work.

She had tons of issues last year at the festivals she headlined and the crowd couldnt hear things clearly or at all. Coachella sounded good apart from a few dead spots in the field. But we'll see.

I think for her it comes down to if she can keep the energy up and peoples attention til she gets to the big songs. But if it sounds bad then expect an exodus.

on that, when it comes to the legend. If i havent seen them, ill go. Ive seen Barry Gibb and seen Diana. No need to go navigate that crowd. 

Edited by Suprefan

Just now, Suprefan said:

Its all on the sound mix. She does  sing, and you can tell because there are songs you can hear her voice without effects on it and when she is talking into the mic.  The problem is if the pre recorded backing track over takes her actual vocal And you cannot discern whats legit and whats not. Its all gonna fall on whoever is at the sound desk on friday night and makes it work.

She had tons of issues last year at the festivals she headlined and the crowd couldnt hear things clearly or at all. Coachella sounded good apart from a few dead spots in the field. But we'll see.

I think for her it comes down to if she can keep the energy up and peoples attention til she gets to the big songs. But if it sounds bad then expect an exodus.

Interesting... so does she fake it or not? I’m perhaps an old timer, and not fully understanding this pre recorded backing track thing..... but WTF? Surely she either performs live, or she doesn’t? Do the Stones have a backing track? Am I watching live music or not?

9 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Interesting... so does she fake it or not? I’m perhaps an old timer, and not fully understanding this pre recorded backing track thing..... but WTF? Surely she either performs live, or she doesn’t? Do the Stones have a backing track? Am I watching live music or not?

With Billie I think the best comparison to be had is with Tame Impala.  Kevin sings every line, but he's singing over a mix of multiple recordings of the vocals.  It's not cheating, it's just not possible to recreate the sound otherwise.  Many of Billie's tracks are the same, with multiple layered vocals that she sings on top of.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spindles said:

With Billie I think the best comparison to be had is with Tame Impala.  Kevin sings every line, but he's singing over a mix of multiple recordings of the vocals.  It's not cheating, it's just not possible to recreate the sound otherwise.  Many of Billie's tracks are the same, with multiple layered vocals that she sings on top of.

Bohemian Rhapsody (as a studio recording) is nigh on impossible to perform live.... however, it is possible to perform a fair enough rendition of it without leaving the audience thinking they are being cheated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Youre watching live music. Its just set up in a manner that in place of a living breathing backing vocalist there are pre recorded tracks timed with the song. You obviously have to rehearse it to no end to remember the spots and such. Below are examples of Billie just singing and then one with the tracks, and parts where she isnt singing and you can hear the difference between live vocal and pre recorded overlayed. Its just difficult with this style of music because her vocals are not loud per say so they can get lost at times.  Dua Lipa does the same for example as do most pop stars nowadays. Just a matter of how its pulled off.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

So not live music then?

Well whats your definition of "live". Youre nitpicking at a musician that potentially has backing tracks added to songs. Theres plenty of bands who do the same damn thing yet because they maybe have a guitar in their hand and if the drummer hit a button on a laptop or sample pad thats acceptable. How about electronic acts like Bicep? They perform "live" and all theyre doing is queueing up their pre recorded tracks, synch them up and add some other sounds with keyboards and synths. So whats the difference.  

As posted above me, the Queen thing is a great comparison to whats done on record and done live. But you surely arent expecting Freddie to have had 50 backing vocalists on stage to make the same effect, right?

• Upvote 1

When Queen did (and presumably still do) Bo Rhap live, It was all played live apart from the operatic middle section at which point the band left the stage and the recorded voices were played. There was no pretence that the band were singing the parts as there was no band on stage, so not quite the same as a current act using a mixture of live and recorded parts to a degree whereby the listener isn't entirely sure what is or what isn't live.