Another food thread…

Hugh Jass II

Just now, gigpusher said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They really should release the food line up as well. You can tell they put a lot of effort into it. Anyone who eats badly at the festival really only has themselves to blame. 

I've asked and asked the festival for this info, they simply do not want to do it. They say it's because they want you to discover new things naturally, but I reckon crowd management is a big part of it and they don't want everyone flocking to the same small number of stalls, which would cause a lot of problems.

Effective secrecy on which food trucks go where is the policy now, my site is frowned upon but tolerated. They're not convinced by arguments like accessibility issues, intolerances or other preferences or requirements. You can go get a paper list from one of the 7 info points during the festival, apparently.

christ, looking at this thread when im hungry is really stupid. Everything looks and sounds incredible. Only Jerkin look great, i wanna try the chicken strips and the cauli, to compare and contrast 

5 minutes ago, jefwefwef said:

I've asked and asked the festival for this info, they simply do not want to do it. They say it's because they want you to discover new things naturally, but I reckon crowd management is a big part of it and they don't want everyone flocking to the same small number of stalls, which would cause a lot of problems.

Effective secrecy on which food trucks go where is the policy now, my site is frowned upon but tolerated. They're not convinced by arguments like accessibility issues, intolerances or other preferences or requirements. You can go get a paper list from one of the 7 info points during the festival, apparently.

It's probably because whether they serve shit or great food they all pay the same to be there and if you could research the shit food places would get less custom. I like that a lot more of them announce on instagram now. 

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They really should release the food line up as well. You can tell they put a lot of effort into it. Anyone who eats badly at the festival really only has themselves to blame. 

Agree 100%. I was at the New Orleans French Quarter Festival last month and the food lineup was as prominent as the music. Americans and their food and all like, but I defo spent more time researching and eating nicer food. 

Glasto HQ need to take note. The app even had a Google map type thing of all the stalls.

https://frenchquarterfest.org/food-temp/

14 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

It's probably because whether they serve shit or great food they all pay the same to be there and if you could research the shit food places would get less custom. I like that a lot more of them announce on instagram now. 

If there was more info it might make the shit places up their game.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Agree 100%. I was at the New Orleans French Quarter Festival last month and the food lineup was as prominent as the music. Americans and their food and all like, but I defo spent more time researching and eating nicer food. 

Glasto HQ need to take note. The app even had a Google map type thing of all the stalls.

https://frenchquarterfest.org/food-temp/

Firstly, that looks a lot of fun.

Secondly though, I can kinda see why Glastonbury might not want to go down this road. Using French Quarter as an example of what can be done is fair, but it's also held in and based on an existing city area with street names / numbers and, presumably, existing google mapping to allow for navigation.

If Glastonbury start doing that then how would the google mapping and directions / locations work? With no defined "street" names and stuff popping up in odd corners, you'd struggle for any kind of clarity or consistency to the naming aspects.  Given that half the things you want to see aren't clearly marked on the map at the best of times, how would they start to fit the vendors on there as well?

Just seems like a lot of extra work! And do the areas manage their own vendors in the way that they manage acts and venues?  Would it be down to them to do their own thing? 

A straightforward list of confirmed vendors would definitely be nice and, you'd think, relatively easy, but I can see why they don't want to go down the location or mapping route.

47 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Surely they can't all be paying the same. There's got to be some kind of expected footfall adjustment for the popularity of the location. Some stalls are properly tucked away and get a tiny fraction of the footfall of more obvious stuff in the heart of the markets sector.

2 minutes ago, jefwefwef said:

Surely they can't all be paying the same. There's got to be some kind of expected footfall adjustment for the popularity of the location. Some stalls are properly tucked away and get a tiny fraction of the footfall of more obvious stuff in the heart of the markets sector.

My understanding is that you pay more for the busier places

2 minutes ago, jefwefwef said:

Yes and I'm sure there is cost based on size of the unit but if for example you have a shit burger van next to a great burger van I assume they'll be paying the same and a quick look at their social media will probably tell you which one is best. 

28 minutes ago, Quark said:

Firstly, that looks a lot of fun.

Secondly though, I can kinda see why Glastonbury might not want to go down this road. Using French Quarter as an example of what can be done is fair, but it's also held in and based on an existing city area with street names / numbers and, presumably, existing google mapping to allow for navigation.

If Glastonbury start doing that then how would the google mapping and directions / locations work? With no defined "street" names and stuff popping up in odd corners, you'd struggle for any kind of clarity or consistency to the naming aspects.  Given that half the things you want to see aren't clearly marked on the map at the best of times, how would they start to fit the vendors on there as well?

Just seems like a lot of extra work! And do the areas manage their own vendors in the way that they manage acts and venues?  Would it be down to them to do their own thing? 

A straightforward list of confirmed vendors would definitely be nice and, you'd think, relatively easy, but I can see why they don't want to go down the location or mapping route.

You're definitely right that the mapping is not easy. See my site Https://www.festifood.eu for an incomplete map from 2019 (I'm updating now for 2022). Notably, it's not Google maps, it's custom cartography based on openstreetmaps (with many extra features added by me by hand). it doesn't have any routing, very few notions of paths and it's not clear where every barrier or treeline you can't walk through is so even if you wanted to go from A to B you still need a fair amount of site knowledge to get there efficiently.

On the other hand, data like this should be open by default in my opinion. While the fest is on, Glastonbury is probably on the top10 population centres in the country and acts as a mini public authority (policing, health, sanitation, fire, food, shelter, entertainment, etc etc). Any other council has an obligation under the freedom of information act. Obviously Glastonbury is not a council and has no such duty,  I'm just drawing a parallel.

38 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Going to miss Ghandis Flip Flop though 😞

What nonsense is this?!  Genuinely gutted.  Their samosas were a thing of beauty and cheap as chips.  Have they officially (un)confirmed?

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

I often find myself paralysed by too much choice and gripped by fear of making a bad one... which often leads to bad choices.

I also often forget to eat, then have to buy something in a hurry and avoid large queues. Thus, missing out on the good stuff. 

Just now, zeppelin said:

I also often forget to eat, then have to buy something in a hurry and avoid large queues. Thus, missing out on the good stuff. 

Yeah that too.

I often make the mistake of just grabbing something by a stage so I queue and eat without missing what's on, when everyone knows the best stuff is a little more out the way.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I often find myself paralysed by too much choice and gripped by fear of making a bad one... which often leads to bad choices.

Everyone makes the odd duff choice during the festival but there's so much good choice that if you eat badly for the whole festival you've made an effort to do that.