The art of the album cover

Ayrshire Chris

For those like me who pine for the days of the gatefold sleeve with intricate artwork by Roger Dean and others, a heads up that Sky Arts is showing this documentary on the evolution of album covers on Tuesday 5th. Covers such as in the court of the crimson king and Yes albums, love em! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

image.png.3226d18d65888879743c608eb2f9c637.png  image.png.85e4fff559c52c9e8989e7519af7cf53.png

I like the scrappy kind of style of the new abnormal / sport's teams album.

image.png.5669e80573cc62be51fbc2acee921ea4.png

exit planet dust i like too, very simple good aesthetic.

image.png.c5e5cdbb4b17485a7797c61b7b62b155.png

My favourite would be How to be a human being by glass animals though - each character links to a song which is pretty cool and I like the pixelly logo.

---

edit: Is This It is also great, so simple and iconic. The US cover is pretty cool too but not quite the booty glove

image.png.eed0f0f59713f343065feb91d363267b.png

Edited by gfa

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

For those like me who pine for the days of the gatefold sleeve with intricate artwork by Roger Dean and others, a heads up that Sky Arts is showing this documentary on the evolution of album covers on Tuesday 5th. Covers such as in the court of the crimson king and Yes albums, love em! 

Thanks Chris, popped it into the planner to record! Vaughan Oliver would be my own personal favourite, probably have more of his work in my collection than any other artist! Cheers for the heads up!

10 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Obviously there are hundreds of great images but a great cover that immediately springs to my mind is Revenge of the Goldfish by Inspiral Carpets, one of the first CD albums I ever bought

34_001.jpg

the revenge of the goldfish should be the fish biting an arse in revenge of all the flshed fish.

Edited by Neil

13 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I bought this a few years ago, full of classics!

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/vinyl-album-cover-art-hipgnosis-book/