The Beginner's Guide To Glastonbury Festival?

K2SO

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Wait, there's more to genosys then just the outside?

Certainly rumours and a few people have written on here about being plucked from the queue to London Underground and taken inside for some very strange going ons.maybe I have the building wrong and it is the flats

Edited by fred quimby

17 hours ago, blutarsky said:

In 2019 we took carrots still with the green tops on as we had been told this was the key to getting in. We didn’t get to test this as we never actually made it up there. 

There's definitely ways in that involve skipping the queue. 

It's honestly the most magical of stories that I have from Glastonbury, but also the only one I don't tell 😅🤫

19 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Such a tease! 

I CAN tell you about the first time I tried to get in.

It was my first year, 2016, the year of the mud, and I had also heard about the carrot thing. I was up by John Peel on the Saturday and I look down into the mud and for some reason there's an enormous carrot sticking out of it. 

Obviously taking it as a sign, my friends think I'm absolutely insane when I pluck it out of the mud, clean it off with baby wipes, and put it in my backpack. 

On the Sunday I have a bit of a row with one of my friends and decide to go off on my own....time to use my giant carrot I've been carrying around for 2 days. 

Turns out it was the wrong type of carrot? I did queue up and go in anyways, as the way to shangri-la was shut (which is why I ended up in the park anyways).

The next year I also brought the carrots with the green tops, but I never ended up giving them a go, so I'm not sure on that one either. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 11:38 AM, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Not the same tent you’re talking about but there’s one just down from the Park entrance (might be called Mr Tea’s or something) that is similar but on a smaller scale. Some of my favourite times at Glastonbury have been sat in there on a morning having a coffee and a toastie and picking each other’s brains about what went on last night before heading off to start watching the acts again.

Is this the one with the instruments and the fire pit in the middle? Stumbled in there on the way to check out the pier in 2019 and stayed for a good couple hours having a sing-song with randoms. Was a lovely time but I could never find it again after. 

On 3/15/2022 at 10:34 PM, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

Never pass by a compost toilet with no queue without asking yourself if you need a shit. 

This is similar to mine, which is -  yes you probably do need a piss, just squeeze one out now whilst you're passing, and save yourself a trek later.

On 3/16/2022 at 10:06 AM, balti-pie said:

a quiet pint in the staff bar by arcadia sat on the sofas was blissful just after a shift one year

I was working (well volunteering) on a vehicle gate in 2017, from 6am to 2pm Sunday to Tuesday before the festival.  It was very hot (like ~30C by around 11am) and after each shift, because there was no shade in our crew camp, I headed over to permaculture and had a snooze under the trees by their herb garden.  

Some of my tips:

- If you like a drink, white russian is an ideal breakfast option and amazing hangover cure. There are milk trucks driving about selling 1 pint milk cartons usually for a quid, so just take a premix of vodka and kahlua and buy fresh milk in the morning. 

- A collapsible bucket, flannel and soap in lieu of a shower will make you a hell of a lot cleaner and fresh smelling than baby wipes will. You can even wash your hair in one at a push - good for a Friday morning pick me up.

- Do not use Glastonbury to break in a new pair of wellies or boots. You WILL lose a toenail and be covered in blisters by the end of the festival.

- You can get a massage in the green fields if you destroy your back on the way in.

- Use the lock ups for your cash - they're free.

- Avoid the railway line immediately after the headliners if you're not keen on big crowds - can get a bit uncomfortable at times.

If its like the insane heat which was 2019 - get a Bandana from one of the many stalls, and soak it in water at the taps. Tie it round your neck and enjoy sweet sweet relief. Repeat as needed! Hats are also a must if the weather is hot/sunny like 2019. Rehydration salts (like dioralyte) are great.

For 2016-style weather (ie deep sloppy glud) a welly boot puller was invaluable when it came to getting them off at the end of the day and avoiding getting your whole tent full of mud. You can get them off amazon. Similarly, buy a tent with a separate porch to avoid getting your bedding wet/muddy.

Take a reusable cup with you for spirit/mixer drinks, and buy bottles of mixer from the ice cream vans. 

I think a tip for me is don't be too disheartened if you've identified some cool stuff on the Wednesday/ Thursday and you get there and there is huge queues/ crowds. e.g. Baggy Mondays, Williams Green secret sets, bigger bands playing things like Crows Nest, even someone a bit well known like Beans on Toast playing somewhere. 

Because Thursday is a little slower these kind of things to attract a lot of people. But it's not indicative of the weekend, once the music qets going Friday morning you'll be totally fine to see almost everyone you want regardless of the stage (exceptions being JP Tent if someone's just got massive and are playing too low down the schedule or a secret set somewhere with a huge name)

Equally, if there's something you do really want to do, get there an hour or so early and just chill with a drink in hand watching the acts before, grabbing some food, or wandering round the area.   

On the same point, my tip would also be not to overfill your music day with too much - because leaving time to explore the other areas of the festival (Circus, Greenfields, The Woods, Permerculture, SE corner during the day etc.) when the music is playing will mean they're quieter and you'll get more out of them. 

Edited by kemosabe

On 3/28/2022 at 1:02 PM, oakdown said:

Is this the one with the instruments and the fire pit in the middle? Stumbled in there on the way to check out the pier in 2019 and stayed for a good couple hours having a sing-song with randoms. Was a lovely time but I could never find it again after. 

That's Big Easy Jam.  Can be quite a giggle, couple of mates got stuck in there previously.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Skoo said:

- If you like a drink, white russian is an ideal breakfast option and amazing hangover cure. There are milk trucks driving about selling 1 pint milk cartons usually for a quid, so just take a premix of vodka and kahlua and buy fresh milk in the morning. 

THIS, A HUNDRED TIMES THIS.

And if you're feeling particularly peckish, putting a white russian into a variety pack of cereal bulks it out a little bit and gives you all the vitamins and minerals a growing person needs.

I can't recommend enough having some vodka and kahlua on your person at all times.  Between there being many places to get iced coffee to make espresso martinis and milk to make white russians, you really can't go wrong.

On 3/18/2022 at 5:57 AM, MetaKate said:

It's honestly the most magical of stories that I have from Glastonbury, but also the only one I don't tell 😅🤫

Hello MetaKate,

Are you able to tell us the reason or some further information on why you don't tell? 

Oh - I take it that you have a ticket for this year? 🙂

1 hour ago, Quark said:

That's Big Easy Jam.  Can be quite a giggle, couple of mates got stuck in there previously.

Good shout but I've just had a look and I'm not sure that's it? Looks more wide open and tent-y. The place I'm on about was like a tiny little hut - managed to find this pic if it looks familiar to anyone. 

1748779642_Photo26-06-2019141506.thumb.jpg.7400b7304f85f8a59f37c5655175b52c.jpg

9 minutes ago, oakdown said:

Good shout but I've just had a look and I'm not sure that's it? Looks more wide open and tent-y. The place I'm on about was like a tiny little hut - managed to find this pic if it looks familiar to anyone. 

That's The Magic Teapot. Previously in Green Craft Field but not returning there this year because it was deemed too noisy for that field. 

But....there will be TWO Magic Teapots at Glastonbury this year! Not sure where but I suspect maybe Avalon and  Green Futures.

One of my favourite venues. All acoustic musicians welcome and everyone else to join in the singalong. 

Edited by Sawdusty surfer
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, oakdown said:

7 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

That's The Magic Teapot. Previously in Green Craft Field but not returning there this year because it was deemed too noisy for that field. 

But....there will be TWO Magic Teapots at Glastonbury this year! Not sure where but I suspect maybe Avalon and  Green Futures.

Ooh not seen that before! I'll keep an eye open for it 

1 hour ago, kemosabe said:

I think a tip for me is don't be too disheartened if you've identified some cool stuff on the Wednesday/ Thursday and you get there and there is huge queues/ crowds. e.g. Baggy Mondays, Williams Green secret sets, bigger bands playing things like Crows Nest, even someone a bit well known like Beans on Toast playing somewhere. 

Because Thursday is a little slower these kind of things to attract a lot of people. But it's not indicative of the weekend, once the music qets going Friday morning you'll be totally fine to see almost everyone you want regardless of the stage (exceptions being JP Tent if someone's just got massive and are playing too low down the schedule or a secret set somewhere with a huge name)

Equally, if there's something you do really want to do, get there an hour or so early and just chill with a drink in hand watching the acts before, grabbing some food, or wandering round the area.   

On the same point, my tip would also be not to overfill your music day with too much - because leaving time to explore the other areas of the festival (Circus, Greenfields, The Woods, Permerculture, SE corner during the day etc.) when the music is playing will mean they're quieter and you'll get more out of them. 

Totally agree with this, I was a bit disappointed in 2014 when I couldn’t get into the Baggy Mondays then in 15 went a good hour before and just had a couple of beers waiting for them to start. It’s great fun if you like 90s indie, always wanted to go back but there are always other things and being organised on the Thursday seems too much effort when it’s so much fun wherever you find yourself with random strangers chatting shit.

im actually very jealous of first timers as I’ll never get that again, but every time someone new joins our group they always love it. You will have the best time 

my other top top, don’t take things a stranger gives you in the Common at 3.30am when you have lost your mates in 2016!

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

I'd suggest don't take a load of it with you if you've not tried it before. 

I drank quite a lot at a friend's house about 25 years ago and he was really impressed that I managed to produce such a quantity of black vom - thankfully they were generous hosts, had a futon with a cheap throw over it and didn't take umbrage at my poor response to their hospitality.  

I've responded poorly (but less severely) to other drinks with dairy and booze as well - even though I can and do tuck away mountains of dairy products - something about mixing them with booze doesn't sit well with me.

Edited by clarkete

23 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

One of my favourite venues. All acoustic musicians welcome and everyone else to join in the singalong. 

Ah excellent, thank you so much! I'll keep an eye out on my travels.