2023 legend slot

ProperTea

I saw Billy Ocean at the hop farm about 6-8 years ago, classic afternoon fun singalong stuff - he’s a great showman, it wouldn’t quite suit the legends slot really but as an aperitif to someone a bit bigger I think it’d work a treat. The key change in ‘love really hurts without you’ is genuinely a magical moment 🤣

5 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I saw Billy Ocean at the hop farm about 6-8 years ago, classic afternoon fun singalong stuff - he’s a great showman, it wouldn’t quite suit the legends slot really but as an aperitif to someone a bit bigger I think it’d work a treat. The key change in ‘love really hurts without you’ is genuinely a magical moment 🤣

We saw Prince there. Mad to think that festival got him.

14 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Mark Knopfler would be incredible. 

Not only does he have the tunes to make everyone happy, but also extraordinary skills. 

If only. 

He's not exactly one for playing a setlist full of the hits. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mark-knopfler/2019/madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-39c2dbf.html

19 hours ago, balti-pie said:

An unticked box for me.  Never seen him but would love to.  Bags of charisma and a load of sing along/dance along songs, I reckon he'd smash the legend slot personally.  Red Light Spells Danger is probably one of my favourite songs ever.  I would lose my shit completely as soon as the opening chords kicked in.

14 hours ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

Probably wouldn’t work due to set-up and money but Abba holograms could be really fun as the legend slot

I'd feel a bit cheated honestly. I know people have had a blast there but there's... really no live music happening at all as far as I know. For the flack DJs get from certain people at least they're doing something, this is a tape with a great visual show. 

14 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I'd feel a bit cheated honestly. I know people have had a blast there but there's... really no live music happening at all as far as I know. For the flack DJs get from certain people at least they're doing something, this is a tape with a great visual show. 

Mate of mine went to see the show with his wife and said it was fanstastic.

Not something I'd pay to see myself but would certainly check it out if it was on at a festival.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Not something I'd pay to see myself but would certainly check it out if it was on at a festival.

Yeah, I probably would too for the beans - but if they counted it as a legend I'd still feel a bit underwhelmed. As a special warm-up for Elton maybe? I could get down with that.

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

As far as I understand it there's a full live band and it's only the vocals that are pre-recorded?

On 1/15/2023 at 8:34 PM, Sawdusty surfer said:

Mark Knopfler would be incredible. 

Not only does he have the tunes to make everyone happy, but also extraordinary skills. 

If only. 

He teamed up with Chris Rea. They could bill themselves as dire Rea. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

No vaguely realistic scenario under which they'd be able to put that show on at a festival though.

Outright impossible to achieve in a daylight slot, and logistically bonkers to achieve at night. There's a reason that they've built a custom venue for it with an insane lighting setup.

Any "visiting" incarnation of it wouldn't be nearly as impressive and runs the risk of leaving people cold and damaging the brand.

3 hours ago, BenG92 said:

It is all live music with a 10 piece band.  Only the singing is pre recorded.  It is an amazing show and when it is the band on stage and not the big screens of them you cant tell it isn't real.  wouldn't work at a festival though.  you would need to much control over the environment.  

On 1/13/2023 at 11:21 AM, Hugh Jass II said:

James Brown was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Poor bloke could barely move, yet alone sing.

By coincidence this past weekend, I was sharing an old email from the immediate aftermath of '04 with a friend where we were comparing experiences that (muddy) year... In that email I had taken a few quotes/posts from E-Festers from that immediate week after (late June or early July) as we discussed James Brown...here were a sample that I chose as "best" bits....

JAMES BROWN

• James Brown. Should have been billed as 'The James Brown Band and Parody'. I'm glad I didn't really make an effort to go and watch him walk on stage 10 minutes in and only take part in every 2nd or 3rd song
  • The godfather of soul might has well have been a cardboard cutout, he spent most of the gig conducting the band with his back to the audience. The band were cool though.
  • As for bands, James Brown was awful, and Oasis didn't seem to care, other than that didn't see a bad performance.
  • James Brown - absolute tripe, we walked off and got a curry
  • i know james browns old but it was the 12 minute intro and the constant backslaping “look at me im a legend attitude” that pissed me off, plus the fact the backing singers did most of the work.
  • Did he need to be there? Quite a let down, I feel
  • James Brown - he only did about 20% of the singing
  • whats wrong with u people saying james brown was a low point?? i thought he had the best performance..... as if we were watching him in his prime, he is in his 70's u no. the crowd was lovin it, perfect for the time of day to get everyone in the mood
  • james brown was one of the best acts of the weekend.on a damp cparry sunday afternoon he got nearly the whole crowd jigging with some real cool upbeat music.at 71 th man is a legend.

7 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

By coincidence this past weekend, I was sharing an old email from the immediate aftermath of '04 with a friend where we were comparing experiences that (muddy) year... In that email I had taken a few quotes/posts from E-Festers from that immediate week after (late June or early July) as we discussed James Brown...here were a sample that I chose as "best" bits....

JAMES BROWN

• James Brown. Should have been billed as 'The James Brown Band and Parody'. I'm glad I didn't really make an effort to go and watch him walk on stage 10 minutes in and only take part in every 2nd or 3rd song
  • The godfather of soul might has well have been a cardboard cutout, he spent most of the gig conducting the band with his back to the audience. The band were cool though.
  • As for bands, James Brown was awful, and Oasis didn't seem to care, other than that didn't see a bad performance.
  • James Brown - absolute tripe, we walked off and got a curry
  • i know james browns old but it was the 12 minute intro and the constant backslaping “look at me im a legend attitude” that pissed me off, plus the fact the backing singers did most of the work.
  • Did he need to be there? Quite a let down, I feel
  • James Brown - he only did about 20% of the singing
  • whats wrong with u people saying james brown was a low point?? i thought he had the best performance..... as if we were watching him in his prime, he is in his 70's u no. the crowd was lovin it, perfect for the time of day to get everyone in the mood
  • james brown was one of the best acts of the weekend.on a damp cparry sunday afternoon he got nearly the whole crowd jigging with some real cool upbeat music.at 71 th man is a legend.

I just remember him barely singing, taking ages to get on stage and yelling "uh!" "yeah!" "get down!" a lot.