2023 legend slot

ProperTea

10 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

FWIW, I always thought it was overly harsh how Michael phased it when Kylie had to cancel because of her cancer diagnosis.

"Kylie Minogue was going to do it years ago, but then she was ill, we're over Kylie. We've all moved onto different things!"

The 'we're over Kylie' bit jars a little. She had bloody cancer for Christ's sake!

They shouldve given her a spot when she was healthy and wanted to perform.  Its interesting that if an artist had to cancel for reasons out of their control they dont get to come back. But covid happened and they fought tooth and nail to keep all that they could. Talk about not wanting to move on.

17 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Given how seldom Annie Lennox gets out, that would be a hell of a coup too if she was going to.

I honestly don't think she would be booked for the Legend slot and after looking at the previous Spice Girls setlist I also question that. I'd be going 3rd down for them both.

A mate went to the tour with the misses and said it was alright but it's never going to rate in his best gigs.

23 hours ago, moogster said:

I didn't say it shouldn't be, just said it's not rocking my boat 🙂 Let's say if the legend is something like that again I'll go somewhere else and let everyone else have a great time, no issues with that!

The legend slot should be something you only go to if you like that legend. Unfortunately it has become a kind of touristy thing where people show up just to take the photos to prove they were there whether they like it or not and most people only know 1 or 2 songs of the legend. I think going forward I'll have to bloody love the legend to put myself through it. 

There's thankfully better competition up against them these days so definitely going forward I'd go for other options unless you really love that legend and if you do love them try and get as close as possible so you can enjoy it. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Unfortunately it has become a kind of touristy thing where people show up just to take the photos to prove they were there whether they like it or not and most people only know 1 or 2 songs of the legend.

Unfortunately the whole festival has become a kind of touristy thing.

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

The legend slot should be something you only go to if you like that legend. Unfortunately it has become a kind of touristy thing where people show up just to take the photos to prove they were there whether they like it or not and most people only know 1 or 2 songs of the legend. I think going forward I'll have to bloody love the legend to put myself through it. 

If people who didn't know more than a song or two didn't go to acts next year, the pyramid would probably be at half of 2022's levels until sub/headliner time.

we'd have probably done this for diana ross if the reviews for the jubilee thing hadn't been awful

11 minutes ago, gfa said:

If people who didn't know more than a song or two didn't go to acts next year, the pyramid would probably be at half of 2022's levels until sub/headliner time.

we'd have probably done this for diana ross if the reviews for the jubilee thing hadn't been awful

It's not such a problem when it's mixed all over the site but I personally would never go to an act that I know is going to be heaving to hear just one or 2 songs. I have skipped several legends because I didn't like them all that much and my favourite ever legend slot was 2010 Ray Davies where clashing with the football meant he had a much smaller but much more dedicated crowd. 

3 hours ago, gfa said:

True, but I think there's a difference between "I heard 1 of their songs on the playlist and loved it, I'll check them out" and "I'm going to talk all the way through until they play the 1 song I know".

20 hours ago, Suprefan said:

They shouldve given her a spot when she was healthy and wanted to perform.

Is there any indication they didn't?

Ignore the quote attributed to Michael. We all know it's meaningless (and it wouldn't have been him having those conversations). I mean actual real indications.

Edited by incident

37 minutes ago, incident said:

Is there any indication they didn't?

Ignore the quote attributed to Michael. We all know it's meaningless (and it wouldn't have been him having those conversations). I mean actual real indications.

Unknown. But considering what she went through they shouldve been offering it and made it a point to be her comeback gig. Wouldve been immense.

4 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Some places it's more obvious than others though. I'd imagine any act up against DiRo would have had a considerably more dedicated crowd. 

Well yeah. Caroline Polachek was a ghost town except for a couple hundred people up front. And then when she finished most of them cleared out before Jack. 

Still though, the percentage of people who go to the fest just for the music is minuscule these days. 

50 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Unknown. But considering what she went through they shouldve been offering it and made it a point to be her comeback gig. Wouldve been immense.

Could just be that the timings didn't work out on either side. Her comeback gigs were in late 2006 / early 2007, and she wasn't active by the time the 2007 festival came around.

I'm pretty sure if her tour had been mid 2007 and/or matched up with the festival then GFL would've been very accommodating for her. But obviously the dates are the dates, and if she wanted to get back on the road sooner then that's fair enough.