2023 legend slot

ProperTea

The thing about the legend slot is that it will always keep rolling on and it's already a "fourth" headliner per se because they have their own announcement nowadays, we'll just start picking up legends from the next decade instead and on it'll go. People who were big and stayed in popular culture, but aren't necessarily the headliners anymore. It'll be strange when they get to the 90s because some of us will know them so much better than current legends.

Robbie Williams

Bryan Adams

Annie Lennox

Celine Dion

Bobby McFerrin

Bon Jovi

Cher

Salt-n-Pepa

LL Cool J

Aerosmith

28 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Kylie was supposed to headline 15 years prior. That still counts for something as I doubt nobody wouldve thought she didnt deserve to headline with the set she put on.

And that Duran Duran set has been the same thing theyve been doing for the last 15 years apart from slotting in a few newer tracks from albums theyve put out.

Well, a lot of them would've headlined in their pomp and if the festival had been more diverse in its genres in the 70s/80s.

FWIW, I always thought it was overly harsh how Michael phased it when Kylie had to cancel because of her cancer diagnosis.

"Kylie Minogue was going to do it years ago, but then she was ill, we're over Kylie. We've all moved onto different things!"

The 'we're over Kylie' bit jars a little. She had bloody cancer for Christ's sake!

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Well, a lot of them would've headlined in their pomp and if the festival had been more diverse in its genres in the 70s/80s.

The festival was more diverse in the 80's than many remember.

Here's the line up poster for 1986

1986Poster.jpg

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Oh gawd, here we go.

What does a Spice Girls setlist look like in that slot?

Spice Up Your Life

If U Can't Dance

Who Do You Think You Are

Something Kinda Funny

Holler

Viva Forever

Goodbye

Word Up (Mel B Solo)

What Took You So Long? (Emma Solo)

Bag It Up (Geri Solo)

It’s Raining Men (Geri Solo)

Never Be The Same Again (Mel C Solo)

I Turn To You (Mel C Solo)

Never Give Up on the Good Times

The Lady Is a Vamp

Too Much

Say You'll Be There

2 Become 1

Mama

Stop

Wannabe (with Victoria Beckham)

Spice Up Your Life (with Victoria Beckham)

Edited by ProperTea

11 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

Spice Up Your Life

If U Can't Dance

Who Do You Think You Are

Something Kinda Funny

Holler

Viva Forever

Goodbye

Word Up (Mel B Solo)

Bag It Up (Geri Solo)

The Lady Is a Vamp

Too Much

Say You'll Be There

2 Become 1

Mama

Stop

What no 'Out of Your Mind' Victoria Beckham/Trusteppers/Dane Bowels? 💩

44 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

Spice Up Your Life

If U Can't Dance

Who Do You Think You Are

Something Kinda Funny

Holler

Viva Forever

Goodbye

Word Up (Mel B Solo)

Bag It Up (Geri Solo)

The Lady Is a Vamp

Too Much

Say You'll Be There

2 Become 1

Mama

Stop

There's a surprising amount of stuff there I don't know, but why are people saying legend, rather than headliners. Thought they'd be stage and light show tastic...

1 hour ago, ProperTea said:

Spice Up Your Life

If U Can't Dance

Who Do You Think You Are

Something Kinda Funny

Holler

Viva Forever

Goodbye

Word Up (Mel B Solo)

Bag It Up (Geri Solo)

The Lady Is a Vamp

Too Much

Say You'll Be There

2 Become 1

Mama

Stop

There will only have room for 16/18 songs and I’m guessing with production and outfit changes it be cut event further .

kylie did 18 I think 

The Spice Girls? 

This is definitely an age thing. I don't consider them legends and thought they were awful at the time of being everywhere. So is the legends slot basically something that was big on an average 25-30year olds childhood?  The way music changed being consumed will impact on this eventually i guess.

Genuine question - what makes Spice Girls so popular but not - for example all saints or boyzone  ? (Their contemporaries at the time) .and is legend slot now cheese only?

2 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Annie Lennox is a great shout. Potential for an amazing set.  No need for backing/syncing either, her voice is stunningly good.

yes. I am starting to be wary of "legends" that are basically good runes everybody knows and sings along too and a very good backing band, and a smiling and charming frontman/woman who is basically a glorified MC. I will not name names ...

If some of the acts mentioned here did get booked... what kind of act would you counter program with on the Other/JP/Park to make sure it wouldn't be a mess? 2017 managed a decent spread for the Chic/Barry double header with Haim on the Other and the secret (Killers) in the JP - Pyramid and Other were full even with the rush to the Killers.

Not sure who would be a legit mid-afternoon Other booking in 2023 who could draw against a headline-sized legend slot.

44 minutes ago, moogster said:

yes. I am starting to be wary of "legends" that are basically good runes everybody knows and sings along too and a very good backing band, and a smiling and charming frontman/woman who is basically a glorified MC. I will not name names ...

Agreed. It should be someone with no tunes who upsets people.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Agreed. It should be someone with no tunes who upsets people.

I didn't say it shouldn't be, just said it's not rocking my boat 🙂 Let's say if the legend is something like that again I'll go somewhere else and let everyone else have a great time, no issues with that!

1 hour ago, Drinky said:

If some of the acts mentioned here did get booked... what kind of act would you counter program with on the Other/JP/Park to make sure it wouldn't be a mess? 2017 managed a decent spread for the Chic/Barry double header with Haim on the Other and the secret (Killers) in the JP - Pyramid and Other were full even with the rush to the Killers.

Not sure who would be a legit mid-afternoon Other booking in 2023 who could draw against a headline-sized legend slot.

There's a certain demographic (ok, me 😄) that will be watching absolutely bloody anything on any stage, instead of the Spice Girls  - i dont really mind what they put on, they can get a bit weird and go with Babymetal/Bring me the horizon like 2019 opposite Kylie, or Fontaines DC seemed like a big draw opposite Diana Ross (i was at Amyl, which was also pretty busy)