2023 legend slot

ProperTea

18 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Field would be very empty for Roxy 

Not a chance. The festival isn't just full of Gen Z with no interest in music that isn't current. You underestimate the number of older people that attend, the number that'll be there because it's 'the legend slot', and the people that'll be there anyway because it's the Pyramid, and that's where they plonk their chairs for the weekend. And, hopefully, some of the younger people will want to check out genuine art-rock legends.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Off the top of my head, songs I know/like/could probably sing along to most of the words:

Virginia Plain

In Every Dream Home....

Love is the Drug

Both Ends Burning

More Than This

Jealous Guy

Avalon

Do The Strand

Oh Yeah!

Was too young at the time to know this (I'm mid-40's) but I suspect these were all hits if I know them.  So there's probably over an hours' worth of top tunage.

Avalon is more effective than a big plate of oysters😉

19 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Not a chance. The festival isn't just full of Gen Z with no interest in music that isn't current. You underestimate the number of older people that attend, the number that'll be there because it's 'the legend slot', and the people that'll be there anyway because it's the Pyramid, and that's where they plonk their chairs for the weekend. And, hopefully, some of the younger people will want to check out genuine art-rock legends.

Kind of missing the point that in recent years, the acts in this slot have had massive cross generational appeal. Oh and they’ve been fun.

3 minutes ago, wc23 said:

This is a shout. would certainly piss off the old guard. No idea if thats logistically and technically possible tho.

holograms !

not on my watch, but seriously, apparently it's a great show, but likely to take far too long to set up and prob cost too much

Just now, stuie said:

Kind of missing the point that in recent years, the acts in this slot have had massive cross generational appeal. Oh and they’ve been fun.

I saw Roxy a few weeks ago. It was very entertaining. People may have to do a little more homework than for some of other recent Legends, but then how many Dolly songs are genuinely known by many? I can't imagine Kenny Rogers had big cross-generational appeal either, and he seemed to do ok.

I’m 35 and (like everyone on this forum I imagine!) like to think I’m pretty well versed in music. I’ve been listening to Roxy music the last few days and only knew 2 songs. I think I only knew one of them because a pop band covered in it my 90s youth. 

They do seem like a strange choice to me but I assume theyre massive the generation above me. 

28 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

holograms !

not on my watch, but seriously, apparently it's a great show, but likely to take far too long to set up and prob cost too much

To be fair it would be a prime time 1 hour long BBC advert for their arena in London - they could probably do it at a loss and just make it up in people going to the arena.

30 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I’m 35 and (like everyone on this forum I imagine!) like to think I’m pretty well versed in music. I’ve been listening to Roxy music the last few days and only knew 2 songs. I think I only knew one of them because a pop band covered in it my 90s youth. 

They do seem like a strange choice to me but I assume theyre massive the generation above me. 

To be fair this is how I felt about ELO but appreciate I am probably in the minority there.

Edited by FrancisH

40 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I think I know as many Roxy songs as I do Dolly songs (Virginia plain, do the strand and jealous guy - I know it's a cover, vs Jolene, 9 to 5 and that Whitney one). At least Roxy shouldn't be miming!

1 hour ago, GeezLouise said:

I just turned 31. Me and my friends (all 29-31) LOVE Roxy Music