2023 legend slot

ProperTea

This thread is a rollercoaster!

I’m 35 and as far as I know, know precisely nothing from Roxy Music.

interesting that Spice have been described as not fulfilling the brief for having such a short active time and not ‘having hits in multiple decades like Kylie’. Meanwhile,  Steps have been rubbished as an unserious suggestion - while this year JOINING Kylie as having had No.1 albums in 4 consecutive decades. I think it clearly shows there is not one single metric on what constitutes ‘deserving of legend slot’ as I think majority of us would agree Spice would be considered more worthy than Steps. 

It will surely never be Steps (though with 14 top 5 hits and 9 top 5 albums the suggestion they wouldn’t fill an hour people would have fun with is, I think, wrong) but despite having far less material, i do think Spice would be absolutely perfect for it. The cultural impact alone is legend worthy. 

20 minutes ago, king_oxymoron said:

This thread is a rollercoaster!

I’m 35 and as far as I know, know precisely nothing from Roxy Music.

interesting that Spice have been described as not fulfilling the brief for having such a short active time and not ‘having hits in multiple decades like Kylie’. Meanwhile,  Steps have been rubbished as an unserious suggestion - while this year JOINING Kylie as having had No.1 albums in 4 consecutive decades. I think it clearly shows there is not one single metric on what constitutes ‘deserving of legend slot’ as I think majority of us would agree Spice would be considered more worthy than Steps. 

It will surely never be Steps (though with 14 top 5 hits and 9 top 5 albums the suggestion they wouldn’t fill an hour people would have fun with is, I think, wrong) but despite having far less material, i do think Spice would be absolutely perfect for it. The cultural impact alone is legend worthy. 

But then if it is the Spice Girls next year, there is no reason it couldn’t be Steps in the future, and then the arguments for why not become as daft (in the opinion of some) as to why Kyle can and the Spice Girls can’t. 

Edited by Jose Pose

Just now, FrancisH said:

By contrast - none of our group so DiRo, will probably all watch Roxy!

Ages 29 - 35 🙂

Think that shows it's the opposite of what it usually but given it's usually one of the biggest crowds of the weekend that isn't necessarily a good sign. I think they would be better off just as a pyramid stage booking without the pressure of that 4th headliner slot otherwise they could be seen as a bit of a flop. 

23 minutes ago, king_oxymoron said:

Steps have been rubbished as an unserious suggestion - while this year JOINING Kylie as having had No.1 albums in 4 consecutive decades

FWIW Kylie's done that on the back of albums made up of new material, whilst Steps have one Number 1 studio album and then 3 separate versions of Greatest Hits compilations

I don't know Roxy Music.. and although they are certainly a 'worse' booking than DiRo in terms of size / tunes... I'd still be confident that they'd do a better show than DiRo, her show was pretty terrible.

Anyway.. as many people have said - plenty of other things to go and do. As someone who left DiRo last year and then wondered round the site, it was quite a unique opportunity to be free!

8 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Think that shows it's the opposite of what it usually but given it's usually one of the biggest crowds of the weekend that isn't necessarily a good sign. I think they would be better off just as a pyramid stage booking without the pressure of that 4th headliner slot otherwise they could be seen as a bit of a flop. 

Yeah sort of agree, though we didn't go Di Ro because of the crowding / clashes to be fair. Just a bit exhausted by Sunday and couldn't be bothered dealing with it.

2 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Disagree, we loved it. I didn't realise the general consensus was that it was bad at all! 

Might have been where I was stood. But I winced at some of her high notes, and also remember looking around about 10 minutes in to make sure I wasn’t the only one with a raised eyebrow.

4 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Disagree, we loved it. I didn't realise the general consensus was that it was bad at all! 

I've not watched it back on TV, or read any reviews.

But stood in the field I was noticing how badly off-key she was at times - which isn't a good sign given that in person vocal issues tend to be mitigated by people singing along whereas the TV coverage can be a lot less forgiving.

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

They're an Acoustic or Avalon act.

No they easily could be a Pyramid act but I just think the legend slot isn't for them. They could headline an Acoustic stage but they could easily play a similar slot to say Crowded House on the Pyramid and get a decent crowd. 

14 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

They're an Acoustic or Avalon act.

Behave. Presume you're just joking?! Bryan on his own headlined West Holts last time. A reformed Roxy are Other or above minimum. Do generally agree legend is an odd position though, but if Michael is a big fan and is pushing it then who knows.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

I've not watched it back on TV, or read any reviews.

But stood in the field I was noticing how badly off-key she was at times - which isn't a good sign given that in person vocal issues tend to be mitigated by people singing along whereas the TV coverage can be a lot less forgiving.

The sound mix on her vocals was all over the place - kept going up and down. I guess to compensate for the wind - but it made things worse.

Didn't really impact the mother of all parties going on in the pit.

14 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Her actual performance in isolation was utterly abysmal, but we also had a great time too. It was more about the singalong and the crowd, both the one around you and the one you were with. If you were focusing solely on her performance it would’ve been bad.

Edited by Jose Pose

I'm 37 and love Roxy Music... but then I'm slightly obsessed with late 70s/80s music in general. I would definitely be up for a bit of Ferry and Roxy Music, but then I only knew 2 Kenny Rogers songs, soooo....

I would however lose my stuffing for the Spice Girls

Edited by WhatADin

8 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Her actual performance in isolation was utterly abysmal, but we also had a great time too. It was more about the singalong and the crowd, both the one around you and the one you were with. If you were focusing solely on her performance it would’ve been bad.

Exactly like the Spice Girls would be

51 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Spice up your life when blossoms and Mel c did it this year went off in the crowd, anyone who says that spice girls wouldn’t draw a massive crowd needs to give their head a wobble 

I enjoyed that, it was a surprise and fun. That said, if I were at Williams Green, I wouldn't walk to the Pyramid if the Spice Girls were on. Not arsed.

Similarly, I thought the Bazza cameo was pretty cool with Coldplay but I had no desire for anything more from him.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

That would be in complete contrast to pitching the slot as the 4th headliner and giving the artist a space on the top row of the line up poster. 

Then then they probably just wouldn’t do that. The festival has changed its approach many many times over the 50+ years. 

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The band were great, Ross herself seemed to be enjoying herself and the setlist was more or less on point. Just the vocals that let the side down.

Theres an extra magic with someone of that ilk though, like Dolly, it's that your seeing an actual bonafide legend and you quite likely will never get that chance again.  Spice Girls? Meh, they'll be back again on a cash cow sometime ...

• Like 1