who is playing , what we know?

Neil

i'm now leaning towards harry astyles being a headliner, on the basis of a bit of background info i've just had, i reckon those newspaper stories came from his people (I might get definite word on that later on) if they did they're most likely true.

16 minutes ago, Neil said:

i'm now leaning towards harry astyles being a headliner, on the basis of a bit of background info i've just had, i reckon those newspaper stories came from his people (I might get definite word on that later on) if they did they're most likely true.

Harry Styles, Noel Gallagher, HAIM as a Saturday top 3.  

31 minutes ago, Neil said:

If you’re now thinking it is Harry Styles, are you still thinking it’s Kendrick for the Sunday headliner? I might be wrong but it seems like all the McCartney information has came with Kendrick alongside it. If one of them has since dropped out, then is it possible that info is a bit out of date, especially when you consider Kendrick’s lack of dates this summer.

46 minutes ago, Neil said:

What do you think the chance of Paul playing are?

2 hours ago, mickmcmicklemick said:

I've been out of the loop for a very long time. What's happened to QOTSA?!

Allegations to the lead singer i think maybe a different one. Ruled out anyway as their drummer is doing a side project with clashing tour dates

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Thing is if he's signed up to do it, and his people wanted it in the press, why not just officially announce it? I'm sure the festival wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to. 

18 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Thing is if he's signed up to do it, and his people wanted it in the press, why not just officially announce it? I'm sure the festival wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to. 

I don’t think that’s how Glastonbury announcements work is it? I’d imagine in most years 90% of acts are signed 6/12 months before but we don’t get them all announcing it at that point do we?  

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t think that’s how Glastonbury announcements work is it? I’d imagine in most years 90% of acts are signed 6/12 months before but we don’t get them all announcing it at that point do we?  

No we don't, but we also never get the act's press team seemingly placing stories in the media about it. That's what I find odd - if he's signed a contract to headline, and his team want the press to know, why not officially announce it? Acts can announce when they want once they've signed, so it seems bizarre for Harry's camp to want the press/people to know but have done it all secret squirrel style. 

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Usually acts don't announce well in advance because they've got their own dates to sell or are still negotiating with other festivals. Given that Styles has already announced and sold out all his summer dates I'm not sure what benefit there is to anyone to keep him back. Emily had a prime opportunity to announce him yesterday and didn't.

1 minute ago, kingbadger said:

No we don't, but we also never get the act's press team seemingly placing stories in the media about it. That's what I find odd - if he's signed a contract to headline, and his team want the press to know, why not officially announce it? Acts can announce when they want once they've signed, so it seems bizarre for Harry's camp to want the press/people to know but have done it all secret squirrel style. 

I’ve always assumed Glastonbury had a big say in who announces what and when? Otherwise unless an artist was particularly worried about announcing Glastonbury affecting a tour selling, surely it would be in every artists interests to shout it from the roof tops as soon as they sign the contract? But they don’t, and the flow of announcements (especially big ones like headliners) is generally very considered, and more often than not announced by the festival themselves, often in a strategic and creative way.

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’ve always assumed Glastonbury had a big say in who announces what and when? Otherwise unless an artist was particularly worried about announcing Glastonbury affecting a tour selling, surely it would be in every artists interests to shout it from the roof tops as soon as they sign the contract? But they don’t, and the flow of announcements (especially big ones like headliners) is generally very considered, and more often than not announced by the festival themselves, often in a strategic and creative way.

I mean they do, but then again you also have acts like McCartney, Billie etc all seemingly announce their bookings on a whim. Most acts don't talk about Glastonbury as they don't want their own tour sales to be affected, and part of the acceptance of a reduced fee I imagine is down to the booking being kept off radar. Which is why you get the odd self confirmation here and there. But when it comes to a headliner like Harry Styles, I can't see why the festival wouldn't let him announce it if he wanted to. The only detrimental effect it would have is to his own tour sales. Which is why I can't fathom why his team would leak it to the press rather than just announcing it properly. 

8 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I mean they do, but then again you also have acts like McCartney, Billie etc all seemingly announce their bookings on a whim. Most acts don't talk about Glastonbury as they don't want their own tour sales to be affected, and part of the acceptance of a reduced fee I imagine is down to the booking being kept off radar. Which is why you get the odd self confirmation here and there. But when it comes to a headliner like Harry Styles, I can't see why the festival wouldn't let him announce it if he wanted to. The only detrimental effect it would have is to his own tour sales. Which is why I can't fathom why his team would leak it to the press rather than just announcing it properly. 

I’ve always just assumed that was something agreed at the time any contracts were signed. I’d assumed some artists maybe insisted on announcing it themselves, and the others who don’t mind agree Glastonbury get to do it on their terms, perhaps in a creative way like they did with Radiohead, or perhaps collaboratively like they did with Foo Fighters.

Obviously Glastonbury is crazy popular, but I don’t think they ever want to take that for granted so I always assumed some announcements were carefully timed to generate publicity and interest at certain points, maybe in the lul time in the few months after a sale, or before balance day or the resale, so not driven by the artist at all, presumably on their agreement.

These are all just assumptions I had though, so could very easily be completely wrong!

(I guess there is always just the possibility HS isn’t actually headlining of course)

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

18 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Any Glastonbury related story is a good one for journo's as it'll smash the SEO, especially with a name like Styles' attached and especially now when things are ramping up. Having Harry's name in the papers - for whatver reason (as long as its positive I guess) is good for his team when he's shifting tickets for his biggest ever tour. Its an easy win for both parties so I can see Neil's thinking behind it. 

I'm actually not sure your first sentance is true. The S*n etc regularly run stories about this time of year about who's playing and they do tend to turn to out to be right because its fairly obvious the source is the booking agent. 

Maybe there are agents of acts who actively leak this stuff to the press, I dunno. I completely get there can be a benefit to an act of having their name banded about in the press of course, I just don't get the logic in a signed headliner not just getting maximum exposure, that's all. I get things are timed for a reason, just can't see why if Harry's team wanted the publicity they wouldn't go the whole hog and get him announced. 

Unless of course he's not actually headlining and his team are courting the festival via the press, or using the festival name to give his profile a lift. 

5 hours ago, utwothefly said:

Noel G is reported to be subbing on the Saturday according to the Sun 😂

Don't think they've announced a data yet but NGHFB have just been announced for a show at Dreamland in sunny Margate this summer.  

https://www.margatesummerseries.co.uk/show/noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds/

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

its been clear in the past that a big act can push glasto into announcing. acts wont necessarily want to be pushy tho, they might prefer to create a whisper about it.

4 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Does this mean that the efests website is officially dead and that updates will be via forums only 😟

it means its dead at the moment, and that doesnt look like changing soon, problem is, i can prolly get the website with content back online, but not  the content manger suite to update it (that'll just be maddening).

8 minutes ago, debted said:

Harry Styles !!!!!! From a Simon Cowell made boy band. The barrel has been scraped and the scraped again. I know I don't have to watch him. I know there's million other artists, bands and things to see and do at Glasto but really, him !!

Doesn’t mean his music/show is any worse than half the dirge who have headlined the festival like Kasabian and Mumford & Sons.