Campsite Poll

gfa

Campsites Poll  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Where is your favourite area to camp at Glastonbury?

• Zone 1 (Central Campsites)
    • Zone 2 (South West Corner)
    • Zone 3 (North West Corner)
    • Zone 4 (John Peel Campsites)
    • Zone 5 (Pyramid Field)
    • Campervans
    • Worthy View
    • Staff Camping
    • Offsite/other?
  2. 2. Bonus Question - do you change campsites a lot or stick to one

• I stick to the same campsite generally
    • I have camped in a fair amount of different places

53 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Pretty much always camp on Hitchin Hill as that's where my friends want to camp. Personally I hate sleeping on a hill and constantly sliding down my airbed/finding my airbed sliding down the tent. The hill up to it is a bit of a bugger when your lumping your stuff from the car, but it doesn't bother me when I'm just walking back to campsite at end of a regular festival day. It's kind of an ok area that I wouldn't really encourage or discourage anyone from camping at. One pro was I did like going for a poo in the toilets next to the John Peel tent in the morning which wasn't too far a walk from our camping spot. They were always very clean and quiet at that time and it felt quite nice being in touch with nature as you're surrounded by trees.

My favourite camping spot was one year we camped where we could watch the Pyramid stage from our tent. Having a long journey to get to Glastonbury it maybe wasn't worth the hassle of being there early enough to get such a good spot. But if I lived nearby I'd totally make the effort to get a similar spot again.

Personally if I was choosing a camp spot I'd either want to be near my favourite stages so going to see a band in the morning was less of a trek or near an area that has lots of good food - personally think West Holts and Avalon Cafe are best stages for having good food near them. Used to think the food was good near the Park, but that area seems to have declined in terms of food stalls IMHO.

Sure everyone will have their own priorities though.

Next to Hichin is lime kiln which we found is less of a slope and a decent breakfast tent nearby.   The Long drops in the trees at the JP are probably IMO the best on the whole site. Always well cleaned and the tree canopy provides a calming atmosphere, if required,  for a long squat!  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I have pretty much this exact tent, just wanted to check as its nice to have shade regardless 🙂

18 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

If you want to get some sleep at night, Oxylers is definitely not your best option! Also the worst toilets on site. If you can cope with little sleep & shitty bogs however, it is a great location for getting everywhere on site.

Disagree! In 2019 there were two sets of compositing toilets and a long drop within about 50 metres of each other. We found they were one of the first to be cleaned on site at about 8am, so if you were up you had fresh clean compost toilets. Heavenly. 

People often go to the loos right at the back of the other stage but there is another set just round the corner closer to the campsite. Having said all that going at the end of the day might be a different story.

As for noise there was some bass bleed from park stage which goes on until about 3am and the Other Stage starts sound checking at 10am. But between 3am and 10am it's fairly calm. If you're happy with that crack on, I found it forced us to start our day and get out of the hangover slump. 

And the biggest bonus of Oxylers is it had the co-op at the end of the Field. So you could get up, crap in the freshly cleaned toilets, grab a pint of milk and orange juice and eat your breakfast watching the first band. 

On the two occasions I’ve been I camped in worthy view and then Woodsies which is the hospitality camping near the John Peel stage as I was working in a restaurant in backstage hospitality compound. We camped at worthy pastures this summer and our pitch was basically exactly where the CIder bus normally lives. 

I didn’t mind being up in Worthy View as similarly to others I didn’t mind a long walk home after finishing for the night. I found it sobered me up a bit and helped stave off the worst of the hangover the following morning. The shower situation was obviously a bonus as well. 

It was a similar story in Woodsies with a long walk home at the end of the night and the bonus of accessible shower and facilities. this was in 2019 though and there were issues with water supply which meant the showers weren’t always working but that’s not really a consideration for the future. One advantage of Woodsies was that it was far closer to the action when we started the day. Mrs Blutarsky likes to take her time to get going with anything so when we were up in Worthy view there were a few days where we didn’t manage to get down to the area we wanted to be in on time to see our first earmarked act. 

That’s why in future I think I would go for The bottom of kidney Mead. This would be just the other side of the hedge from where we were camped at worthy pastures. It’s fairly central for most places at the start of the day and it isn’t quite as far of a walk back at night. If Camping there, there is also a chance I may pop back to the tent during the day whereas in previous years I have always taken the approach of once you leave the tent in the morning you don’t go back until you’re done. As another bonus the Hedgerow at the bottom of kidney Mead has quite a few large trees in it and would provide shade in the morning if you could get a pitch close enough. 

Ideally I would actually camp with our family who have a trader’s pitch by Yeoman's Bridge. Unfortunately we’ve only been able to convince security to let us pop back for a brief while to have a drink rather than to pitch a tent. 

Edited by blutarsky

It really depends what you are looking for in terms of noise, length of time to stages etc, but for me Bushy is the only place to be these days. We used to camp in Park Home when I was younger (and before Arcadia was where it is now) but I always really struggled to sleep there as just too noisy - there's stuff in the Park until 6am often and I'm a fairly light sleeper. It was handy for most areas though and I did like starting my day in the Park, which from Bushy is a bit of a trek.

I like Bushy because it's quieter, it's not too far from the coach park and there is a lot more space. I don't enjoy being squashed up like sardines now! I also quite like the walk back as it helps me sleep when I get there.

I'm not sure about Oxlyers (it's never appealed to me to camp there) but pretty sure the popular areas like Pennards would require you to be in the queue very early doors? When we camped at Park Home we would be in the queue before gates opened. Camping in Bushy is never an issue timing wise. If you're leaving London at 8am you won't be there that much before 11-12 I'd have thought.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

Pretty much always camp on Hitchin Hill as that's where my friends want to camp. Personally I hate sleeping on a hill and constantly sliding down my airbed/finding my airbed sliding down the tent. The hill up to it is a bit of a bugger when your lumping your stuff from the car, but it doesn't bother me when I'm just walking back to campsite at end of a regular festival day. It's kind of an ok area that I wouldn't really encourage or discourage anyone from camping at. One pro was I did like going for a poo in the toilets next to the John Peel tent in the morning which wasn't too far a walk from our camping spot. They were always very clean and quiet at that time and it felt quite nice being in touch with nature as you're surrounded by trees.

My favourite camping spot was one year we camped where we could watch the Pyramid stage from our tent. Having a long journey to get to Glastonbury it maybe wasn't worth the hassle of being there early enough to get such a good spot. But if I lived nearby I'd totally make the effort to get a similar spot again.

Personally if I was choosing a camp spot I'd either want to be near my favourite stages so going to see a band in the morning was less of a trek or near an area that has lots of good food - personally think West Holts and Avalon Cafe are best stages for having good food near them. Used to think the food was good near the Park, but that area seems to have declined in terms of food stalls IMHO.

Sure everyone will have their own priorities though.

Hitchin used to be my favourite. I know what you mean about the slope but there is one spot on the left hand side halfway up where it is flat and you get shade until mid morning from the hedge and trees

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Disagree! In 2019 there were two sets of compositing toilets and a long drop within about 50 metres of each other. We found they were one of the first to be cleaned on site at about 8am, so if you were up you had fresh clean compost toilets. Heavenly. 

People often go to the loos right at the back of the other stage but there is another set just round the corner closer to the campsite. Having said all that going at the end of the day might be a different story.

As for noise there was some bass bleed from park stage which goes on until about 3am and the Other Stage starts sound checking at 10am. But between 3am and 10am it's fairly calm. If you're happy with that crack on, I found it forced us to start our day and get out of the hangover slump. 

And the biggest bonus of Oxylers is it had the co-op at the end of the Field. So you could get up, crap in the freshly cleaned toilets, grab a pint of milk and orange juice and eat your breakfast watching the first band. 

Fair enough. I didn't get a ticket in 2019, so I was basing my opinion on the few years that I camped there (oxylers) - the last time being 2010.

It's not for me now I'm an old man, but I don't regret camping there when I was younger.

Answering this question is abit of a nightmare. 

For medical reasons I have my camper in the disabled field BUT my flag goes up on row mead front row and has done for the last at least 17 years. 

Unfortunately due to the way you can not get big groups anymore unlike the old days.. 5 years even... I'm now joining up with the pimms crowd as they have the same problem.. BUT as always my flag will be on row mead.. 

SAM_2285.JPG

DSC00576.JPG

P6280293.jpg

P6231403.jpg

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It really depends what you are looking for in terms of noise, length of time to stages etc, but for me Bushy is the only place to be these days. We used to camp in Park Home when I was younger (and before Arcadia was where it is now) but I always really struggled to sleep there as just too noisy - there's stuff in the Park until 6am often and I'm a fairly light sleeper. It was handy for most areas though and I did like starting my day in the Park, which from Bushy is a bit of a trek.

I like Bushy because it's quieter, it's not too far from the coach park and there is a lot more space. I don't enjoy being squashed up like sardines now! I also quite like the walk back as it helps me sleep when I get there.

I'm not sure about Oxlyers (it's never appealed to me to camp there) but pretty sure the popular areas like Pennards would require you to be in the queue very early doors? When we camped at Park Home we would be in the queue before gates opened. Camping in Bushy is never an issue timing wise. If you're leaving London at 8am you won't be there that much before 11-12 I'd have thought.

Was interested to hear about Bushy - I reckon if we don't get into Oxylers we would be going to Dairy Ground and Bushy is right by it. Thanks for the help 🙂 

Just wondering as well does anyone have a photo like this one attached that also features the time it was taken - just want a rough idea of how full the site will be when we arrive. Decisions, decisions

image.thumb.png.d8f847ff8e020d51f52ec9026b487e05.png

10 hours ago, gfa said:

Guess we'll be have to be careful with that aspect. With all the water issues/changes done do you think even still happens?

No matter what the taps will always be wet. Even in scorchio 2019 the taps had to have woodchip down by them. 

Avoid taps and toilets. My fellow first timers couldn't understand why I was trekking a good 100 metres on past the toilets when we arrived. Avoid.

3 hours ago, tarw said:

Hitchin used to be my favourite. I know what you mean about the slope but there is one spot on the left hand side halfway up where it is flat and you get shade until mid morning from the hedge and trees

Like the sound of the shade. Might have to try to persuade my friends next time we go, but sadly we don't have tickets for this year

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

Was interested to hear about Bushy - I reckon if we don't get into Oxylers we would be going to Dairy Ground and Bushy is right by it. Thanks for the help 🙂 

Just wondering as well does anyone have a photo like this one attached that also features the time it was taken - just want a rough idea of how full the site will be when we arrive. Decisions, decisions

No worries! You're a lot better prepared than I was my first year anyway. I'm sure you'll have a blast 🙂

26 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

No matter what the taps will always be wet. Even in scorchio 2019 the taps had to have woodchip down by them. 

Avoid taps and toilets. My fellow first timers couldn't understand why I was trekking a good 100 metres on past the toilets when we arrived. Avoid.

What worries me is being downhill from them like you described, theres not really much of a way of telling where the water is going to flow. Guess it will end up being trial and error.

31 minutes ago, gfa said:

What I would say is that you are definitely over thinking this. 

A lot can depend on which gate you end up getting in at, and how long it takes. You don't get a choice really of the car park you end up in. If for some unexpected reason you're in a 5 hour queue by Gate D, your best laid plans for Oxylers will be in tatters. 

Have a rough idea of 2-3 areas depending on the gate you arrive and be willing to shift plans if you need to. You might get to your ideal spot and it's full of families or rowdy 18 year olds (delete whatever would be worse for you) and you want to move.

There's always somewhere to camp.

Edited by Leyrulion

10 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

What I would say is that you are definitely over thinking this. 

A lot can depend on which gate you end up getting in at, and how long it takes. You don't get a choice really of the car park you end up in. If for some unexpected reason you're in a 5 hour queue by Gate D, your best laid plans for Oxylers will be in tatters. 

Have a rough idea of 2-3 areas depending on the gate you arrive and be willing to shift plans if you need to. You might get to your ideal spot and it's full of families or rowdy 18 year olds (delete whatever would be worse for you) and you want to move.

There's always somewhere to camp.

I'm aware i'm over thinking it, just overly excited and wanted to provoke discussion on the topic in general to see what other people think.

• Upvote 1

Lovely to see threads like this. 

I’ve camped about two thirds of the way up Pennards on each of the four occasions I’ve been, and intend to do so again next - wait, THIS! - year. 

Pennards has a reputation for being noisy, but I didn’t find it too bad, and it’s a good mix of young and older people. Arcadia is loud but finishes at 3am and if I’m in bed before that it’s actually nice to drift off to the sound of Glastonbury, if that makes sense. 

Pennards is great for me for a number of reasons. It’s close to the sign for when I want to chill out and take it in. The Park has a lovely little atmosphere for a bimble first thing. The toilets at the top are pretty decent and I’ve never had to queue. It’s close to the Green and Healing fields, which I enjoy for a chilled vibe. Decent access to Glade and Leftfield. Not close to areas that don’t appeal anyway like Silver Hayes. 

It’s a trek to get to from PGA but you only have to do that once, then you’re set. 

I’ve always been curious about quieter campsites, as I’m not getting any younger, but the distance to my favourite parts of the site always ends up being off putting. 

33 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

And I was only saying my view? Not sure why you got so defensive. Anyway, enjoy.

Hmm my snarky comment seems to have crashed the site. What I was going to go on to say was I never mentioned that over thinking it was bad! And love to see excited discussion on this, which I was adding to. 

Sorry if that came across the wrong way initially.

41 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Lovely to see threads like this. 

I’ve camped about two thirds of the way up Pennards on each of the four occasions I’ve been, and intend to do so again next - wait, THIS! - year. 

Pennards has a reputation for being noisy, but I didn’t find it too bad, and it’s a good mix of young and older people. Arcadia is loud but finishes at 3am and if I’m in bed before that it’s actually nice to drift off to the sound of Glastonbury, if that makes sense. 

Pennards is great for me for a number of reasons. It’s close to the sign for when I want to chill out and take it in. The Park has a lovely little atmosphere for a bimble first thing. The toilets at the top are pretty decent and I’ve never had to queue. It’s close to the Green and Healing fields, which I enjoy for a chilled vibe. Decent access to Glade and Leftfield. Not close to areas that don’t appeal anyway like Silver Hayes. 

It’s a trek to get to from PGA but you only have to do that once, then you’re set. 

I’ve always been curious about quieter campsites, as I’m not getting any younger, but the distance to my favourite parts of the site always ends up being off putting. 

Its certainly in the prime location, just a shame it won't be possible for us due to the coach. Definitely would be up for trying it in the future

35 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

And I was only saying my view? Not sure why you got so defensive. Anyway, enjoy.

Just now, Leyrulion said:

Hmm my snarky comment seems to have crashed the site. What I was going to go on to say was I never mentioned that over thinking it was bad! And love to see excited discussion on this, which I was adding to. 

Sorry if that came across the wrong way initially.

Don't worry about it 🙂  was a bit surprised but i understand