Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Saw Confidence Man tonight in Manchester. One of the most fun gigs I’ve ever been to. From the moment they came on stage it was nothing but pure energy, fun choreography and bangers that had the crowd shaking their money makers. Got a ticket for this gig in case they ended up in a clash at Glastonbury, but it really is gonna take a hell of an act to sway me the other way because I think a set from them on the Park will be an all timer. 

Audiobooks were supporting and they’re fast becoming one of my favourite live acts to see. Saw them twice on a whim and both times they’ve won the crowd over massively and been fantastic. Looking at their tour dates supporting Courtney Barnett around the festival I think they must be a good bet for a Williams Green slot, or possibly even early doors Park. 

How were the new songs? I didn’t really enjoy the new album that much but I’m sure they’ll go off live and it’s hard not to enjoy a Confidence Man gig. I’m seeing them on Sunday and haven’t been that fussed about it since I got the tickets pre-covid but this review has me right up for it again.

Bonobo tonight in Brighton. Love him to bits but the beginning of his show was so quiet. Seems like he wants to crescendo from quieter songs with a vocalist to brutally loud house tunes. The effect is good but maybe just less would be better. 

Foals last night in Kensington killed it. Loved the visuals and general vibe. 

5 hours ago, AshwaGandhi said:

Bonobo tonight in Brighton. Love him to bits but the beginning of his show was so quiet. Seems like he wants to crescendo from quieter songs with a vocalist to brutally loud house tunes. The effect is good but maybe just less would be better. 

Foals last night in Kensington killed it. Loved the visuals and general vibe. 

Thanks for the review. 

I love Bonobo but am yet to see him live. Not sure how that sort of set would go down with a festival crowd, big chance he could lose everybody early on? 

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Thanks for the review. 

I love Bonobo but am yet to see him live. Not sure how that sort of set would go down with a festival crowd, big chance he could lose everybody early on? 

No chance he’d lose a crowd, more than likely just the sound at the Brighton centre as much as anything. 

8 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

How were the new songs? I didn’t really enjoy the new album that much but I’m sure they’ll go off live and it’s hard not to enjoy a Confidence Man gig. I’m seeing them on Sunday and haven’t been that fussed about it since I got the tickets pre-covid but this review has me right up for it again.

All of the new songs came off much better live than on the album. The singles were some of the highlights of the set, and then even some of the lesser songs (Break It Bought It, for example) came off much better with the added choreo and stage presence from the two of them. Like you say, hard for anybody to not love a gig like that when they’re throwing everything at you.

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

All of the new songs came off much better live than on the album. The singles were some of the highlights of the set, and then even some of the lesser songs (Break It Bought It, for example) came off much better with the added choreo and stage presence from the two of them. Like you say, hard for anybody to not love a gig like that when they’re throwing everything at you.

Yep,  That was absolutely immense.  I agree with everything you have said.  it was just so nuts from start to finish.  I am 52 and cant even begin to think how many live bands I have seen live but don't find many as mesmerising as those guys live.  It did not look sold out but it did not matter as the crowd were completely up for it.

I have seen some pretty sniffy comments about them over the last few months and yes, it has been done before to a certain extent.  There is clearly evident cheese but there is also clearly evident late eighties Italian House and all in between but its the dancing and the Show.  They are mesmerising and both so hot and fit.  Just so intense to keep that going for an hour and 15 including FOUR costume changes.  It has the lot.  David Byrne big suits and LED Bras and cowboy shoot outs 🙂 ..  Yes. Glastonbury in the sun on The Park or West Holts.  I will be there!

If you are weighing up checking them out in advance and live close to one of the limited nights they have left on this tour, JFDI

Audiobooks were also great (again).  A fantastic appetiser for the Aussies

8 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Saw Confidence Man tonight in Manchester. One of the most fun gigs I’ve ever been to. From the moment they came on stage it was nothing but pure energy, fun choreography and bangers that had the crowd shaking their money makers. Got a ticket for this gig in case they ended up in a clash at Glastonbury, but it really is gonna take a hell of an act to sway me the other way because I think a set from them on the Park will be an all timer. 

Audiobooks were supporting and they’re fast becoming one of my favourite live acts to see. Saw them twice on a whim and both times they’ve won the crowd over massively and been fantastic. Looking at their tour dates supporting Courtney Barnett around the festival I think they must be a good bet for a Williams Green slot, or possibly even early doors Park. 

Audiobooks are on Heavenly so I’ve had them as nailed on for the Park for a while now. See also; Mattiel and Pip Blom etc. 

Saw ConMan at Kentish Town last night - just an absolute vibe. Crowd so into everything they're doing, and they kind of throw everything at the crowd - slightly-sloppy dance routines... multiple costume changes... champagne...

Performance really elevates the material off the new album and takes their best tracks to another level. If I had a criticism I'd have wanted more first-album stuff.

Objectively a great time even if you've never heard any of their songs before. Hoping they show up late-night somewhere at Glasto.

17 minutes ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

Unfamiliar with the Heavenly/Park connection - what's the deal there?

They’re involved with both the Crows Nest and Stonebridge. Most of their acts that get booked end up on Park - I guess partly connection and partly they seem to only ever sign acts perfect for The Park! 

31 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

They’re involved with both the Crows Nest and Stonebridge. Most of their acts that get booked end up on Park - I guess partly connection and partly they seem to only ever sign acts perfect for The Park! 

Makes sense! That would check out with some of their roster/previous slots as well

You mentioned Mattiel - would be very keen for that.

I went to see Coach Party at Bedford Esquires on Friday night. I discovered them during lockdown on 6music and this gig got pushed back about 3 times, but they were fantastic. The crowd were a little lacklustre, but I chose to just dance on my own at the front any way.

They're the sort of band I'd love to see pop up on Williams Green or towards the bottom of John Peel, but I doubt it. They're similar to The Big Moon, and they never managed to get beyond Williams Green despite a Mercury Prize nomination.

2 hours ago, BreadMakesYouFat? said:

I went to see Coach Party at Bedford Esquires on Friday night. I discovered them during lockdown on 6music and this gig got pushed back about 3 times, but they were fantastic. The crowd were a little lacklustre, but I chose to just dance on my own at the front any way.

They're the sort of band I'd love to see pop up on Williams Green or towards the bottom of John Peel, but I doubt it. They're similar to The Big Moon, and they never managed to get beyond Williams Green despite a Mercury Prize nomination.

Im surprised how consistently low Big Moon are at festivals- way lower than I expected at Kendal. No complaints from me as no clashes but still, would expect them to be a bit higher 

32 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Im surprised how consistently low Big Moon are at festivals- way lower than I expected at Kendal. No complaints from me as no clashes but still, would expect them to be a bit higher 

I think COVID might’ve fucked then a bit in that respect. Album released just before and they didn’t get a chance to tour it and reap the benefits of it charting relatively well so they kind of stagnated. Album’s great, too, so hopefully they can regain some of that momentum on the next one. 

Rounded off my week of 5 gigs in 7 day with Spirtualized at the Bridgwater Hall in Manchester.  Superb.  I was stone cold sober and swear i went into some sort of Space Rock transcendental state at one stage.

Neck Mohican for two hours

19 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yep finally getting to see them again at the end of this month. As @FloorFillersay definitely one of the bands that got well and truly fucked over by COVID. 

Had 2 this weekend 

Sat, Scott Bradley's Post Modern Jukebox. Basically cover songs in the style of swing. Very talented singers and musicians. I was not expecting Tap Dancing as well. So much fun it was great, 3 hour set too. Would kill it on the farm

20220507_223514.jpg

Sunday Mattiel. For those that have been to the fleece in Bristol will know how sticky the floor is, I wore the wrong shoes, totally glued to the floor. During the support act,Le Rens, who so so quiet all you could hear was the unsticking of feet. I didn't really get her.

Mattiel were fantastic. Great stage set up and av show, just the 2 of them. 3 acoustic encores including guns of Brixton. 

20220508_222455.jpg

Edited by fred quimby