Kanye West

dentalplan

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Presumably pro?

Wouldn't surprise me. Never got the fuss with this lot.

There is some very obvious trolling in early Manics lyrics. Some of the lyrics were purely for shock value. Motown Junk is one of their best, but the Lennon reference is as insincere as it is appalling. I'm still unsure how I feel about it - is it better because they didn't really mean it?

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Presumably pro?

Wouldn't surprise me. Never got the fuss with this lot.

Archives of Pain, which is one of their greatest ever songs, but in the lyrics Richey lists a bunch of serial killers and dictators and basically says that death is the only fitting punishment for these people.

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

There is some very obvious trolling in early Manics lyrics. Some of the lyrics were purely for shock value. Motown Junk is one of their best, but the Lennon reference is as insincere as it is appalling. I'm still unsure how I feel about it - is it better because they didn't really mean it?

The Holy Bible was written when they were past their shithouse wind up merchant phase from their early days. It's a very earnest and grave album.

Also a rule of thumb with the Manics is that when they've slagged off famous people in their early years, a lot of the time they actually admired these people. Case in point being Nicky Wire wishing Michael Stipe died of AIDS, and his comment about Morrissey being "a sad bitter old man who just loves annoying people", when R.E.M. and The Smiths were both massive influences.

They were natural contrarians who believed in the notion that there's no such thing as bad publicity, and would say anything to make headlines.

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Pretty sure Richey Edwards wrote most of The Holy Bible lyrics and I'm not sure the rest of the band would stand by it all. As a piece of musicianship, though, what a fucking incredible record.

I think the others have gone on record saying that they were baffled by Richey's lyrics for Archives of Pain, as he expresses uncharacteristically right wing talking points in the song.

Edited by VCK

11 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Pretty sure Richey Edwards wrote most of The Holy Bible lyrics and I'm not sure the rest of the band would stand by it all. As a piece of musicianship, though, what a fucking incredible record.

The band talks about their favour for the death penalty in their documentary film 'No Manifesto' from 2015.

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I stand corrected! Don't follow them much these days.

I didn't know that about them either. I watched it cuz my girlfriend is a fan. The drummer takes the cameras to a firing range. It's got all the stuff with them visiting Castro too.

18 hours ago, VCK said:

f famous people in their early years, a lot of the time they actually admired these people. Case in point being Nicky Wire wishing Michael Stipe died of AIDS, and his comment about Morrissey being "a sad bitter old man who just loves annoying people", when R.E.M. and The Smiths were both massive influences.

"Don't be into the Beatles" was one of their internal manifesto pledges and Nicky's gone on record as being a massive Beatles fan, and James a Paul fan of sorts (though curiously never liked the Beatles, and I would've thought he'd love them)

22 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Trough the Wire is absolute genius, up there with the best, as are his first two albums. I'm with on this - also gutted.

Of Ye's 11 studio albums, 6 of them are stone cold hip hop classics, in my opinion. That's an incredible achievement hardly any other rapper - dead or alive - can match. As a rapper, Ye's average at best, but when he's firing on all cylinders (i.e. production), he knocks out absolute gems.

I first discovered Ye through the S.Carter 'The Re-Mix' album in 2004, which was made as a Reebok promotion. It featured this track, featuring and produced by Ye and I could not stop playing it. Since then, I've loved nearly everything he's created musically, but I've become appalled by him as a person. It's so gutting to see play out.

• Upvote 2

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/kanye-west-elon-musk-tweets-b2239156.html

This is just so cringeworthy... From the all-caps presentation, the idea that a half-Chinese, half-South African would be a hybrid, and this would be a first for the world, to the mutual lovefest between him and Elon, and that he still thinks he might one day be president... All of it is just so naff.

I've often thought that Ye's trip down the right-wing rabbit hole was totally instigated by that jackass comment from Obama all those years ago.

The blurb underneath the post is more....interesting? unhinged? 

'On Jay Zs birthday Future president of the United States Ye uses Mark Zuckerberg's platform to incite a mass investigation of Elon Musk's childhood photos in the midst of Balenciagagate I call this The theory of everything Problem solved Praise God'

Nice that he gives a shout out to JayZ on his birthday, I guess? 

17 hours ago, kalifire said:

Of Ye's 11 studio albums, 6 of them are stone cold hip hop classics, in my opinion. That's an incredible achievement hardly any other rapper - dead or alive - can match. As a rapper, Ye's average at best, but when he's firing on all cylinders (i.e. production), he knocks out absolute gems.

I first discovered Ye through the S.Carter 'The Re-Mix' album in 2004, which was made as a Reebok promotion. It featured this track, featuring and produced by Ye and I could not stop playing it. Since then, I've loved nearly everything he's created musically, but I've become appalled by him as a person. It's so gutting to see play out.

Exactly, his influence in Hip Hop goes way beyond his own records or records featuring his vocals. He's produced songs for the biggest names, Jay Z, Luda, Janet Jackson, Mary J Bleige, Mobb Deep, Twista, The Game, Dead Prez and loads more...

I'm fairly sure you heard his music before 2004 though, even if you didn't know it at the time... He produced Dead Prez's 'It's Bigger Than Hip-Hop' in 1999 for starters. 

Another of my favourites was 'This Way' by Dilated Peoples... Not sure why I threw that out there, random as hell, but hey, I love that track, (and a lot of other DP tracks) so now you know. 🙈😂

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There comes a point where behaviour can no longer be attributed to poor mental health and he's called out for exactly what he is 

Why can't both be true? He's clearly not well, that certainly explains his actions, but that does not excuse his actions. Nobody of sound body and mind would tell Jews to forgive Hitler. But having an illness does not mean you can say things like that and not get called out for them, or face any consequences. 

The bloke is a danger to himself and those around him, he needs medical help and soon. Britney was sectioned (or 5150'ed or whatever the Americans call it) for less. He needs to be removed from the environment, and circles, he's currently imploding in, and he needs treatment. I'm not suggesting they section him, lock him up, or any specific course of treatment, as I'm not a doctor, and I don't know what he needs, nor how effective specific things are. But any idiot (myself included) can see that he needs some kind of medical intervention. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

New album with Ty Dolla Sign allegedly coming out on Friday. I know that a lot of people are understandably completely done with Kanye at this point, but gonna be interesting to see how the general public reacts to this, if it’s actually any good, and also what he’s rapping about here given the last we heard from him was spouting extreme nazi rhetoric on Alex Jones’ show. 

11 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

New album with Ty Dolla Sign allegedly coming out on Friday. I know that a lot of people are understandably completely done with Kanye at this point, but gonna be interesting to see how the general public reacts to this, if it’s actually any good, and also what he’s rapping about here given the last we heard from him was spouting extreme nazi rhetoric on Alex Jones’ show. 

Hard pass, MBDTF was fantastic, and Yeesuz was the last hurrah but it's 10 years on.

That being said, watch the throne tour, him and Jay Z, up there with the best of them!

2 hours ago, Sparticus said:

Hard pass, MBDTF was fantastic, and Yeesuz was the last hurrah but it's 10 years on.

That being said, watch the throne tour, him and Jay Z, up there with the best of them!

Life of Pablo and Donda were both two great albums since Yeesuz. 

but he’s done - no coming back from the ridiculous things he’s said publicly since Donda.

On 12/15/2023 at 6:33 PM, FloopFiller said:

And to absolutely nobody’s surprise Kanye’s being an idiot again and the album isn’t out.

He also travelled all the way to Dubai to play at Sandstorm Festival and U-turned at the last minute. I'm surprised people and organisers work with him as he wastes a huge amount of time/money.

From a recent IG post, it sounds like the collab album will be delayed indefinitely until two notorious prisoners are released. I wouldn't be surprised if the album joins 5+ others that never came out, which is a shame as it sounds better than I expected.