Football 2021/2022

jyoung

My first time back at Anfield last night since the Atletico super spreader event in March 2020.

Felt like nothing had changed other than a few hand sanitisers about the place and the stewards half heartedly wearing masks, all a bit surreal in that sense. 

Decent game, nice of us to stop playing for the last 5 minutes of the first half to make it more exiting.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

My first time back at Anfield last night since the Atletico super spreader event in March 2020.

Felt like nothing had changed other than a few hand sanitisers about the place and the stewards half heartedly wearing masks, all a bit surreal in that sense. 

Decent game, nice of us to stop playing for the last 5 minutes of the first half to make it more exiting.

Atmosphere sounded incredible. Those 2 late Milan goals in the first half were unreal. Total dominance to losing 2-1 at HT.

You know what happened last time we won our opening CL game 3-2 don't you? 👀

8 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

You know what happened last time we won our opening CL game 3-2 don't you? 👀

Who was Pope at the time?

Yeah, great atmosphere. There was an Allez Allez part way through the second half that was one of the loudest songs I've heard in there. 

7 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I went to Leicester on Saturday. Was good to be back.

14 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Surely Noble missing a penalty is just evidence that footballers sometimes miss penalties, rather than evidence that a player needs to get in the game to take a penalty.

It would be interesting to see if there are stats backing up the theory but it does feel like a lot of players miss afterbeing brought on to take a penalty. 

One of the most interesting facts I read years ago was that a team is more likely to score following a throw in near the corner flag than they are from a corner. So all the busting a gut to stop a corner was in fact counter productive. The figures may differ now.

9 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

It would be interesting to see if there are stats backing up the theory but it does feel like a lot of players miss afterbeing brought on to take a penalty. 

One of the most interesting facts I read years ago was that a team is more likely to score following a throw in near the corner flag than they are from a corner. So all the busting a gut to stop a corner was in fact counter productive. The figures may differ now.

The thing is people remember penalty misses and forget the ones that are scored which skews perception. When players are brought on to take penalties in shootouts and score, nobody uses them to counter any argument.

On 6/16/2021 at 12:25 PM, jyoung said:

New year, new fixtures, same trash talk on here.

Tough start for Chelsea with Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and City in 4 of their first 6 games.

New year Same shit crowds at the Etihad.

Edited by Neil

On 9/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, The Nal said:

Moyes not trusting anyone else on the pitch to take a peno is nonsense though. 

True. 
Although to be fair to Moyes those on the pitch either have no experience taking penalties or have recent experience of not scoring them. 
I’d also add, Noble didn’t miss, De Gea saved. 
I’d finally mention that Noble went up further in my estimation of him. 

5 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

True. 
Although to be fair to Moyes those on the pitch either have no experience taking penalties or have recent experience of not scoring them. 
I’d also add, Noble didn’t miss, De Gea saved. 
I’d finally mention that Noble went up further in my estimation of him. 

Yeah cant knock anyone for stepping up. The strike itself did look a bit laboured though. 

VAR had a shocker, was laughing at how the ref didnt give West Ham a pen with that Wan Bissaka assault on Soucek. Although I do think of one Ronaldos was a pen too.