Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

The counter argument being that, on a coach, it's just one person. On a train, there's more likelihood that people will get on and off at stations....

Ben

True but you're breathing in the collective air of loads of people, with no option of moving- I'd say more than just the person next to the infected person would catch it on a coach 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

True but you're breathing in the collective air of loads of people, with no option of moving- I'd say more than just the person next to the infected person would catch it on a coach 

I totally get everyone's concern - I've seen this disease as close up as anyone ever needs to. And I promise I'm not being in any way blase, but if we're going to be happy to jump around, sweating on and being sweated on by, 100s of people, cheek by jowl, at an indoor gig, after relaxation of restrictions, I really don't think there need be too much anxiety about coach vs. train to get there!

As I said, just be as careful at that point as you feel you need to be etc. I'm pretty sure I won't wear a mask 'at all' (other than at work) after restrictions have lifted, but I absolutely support anyone who sees that as part of their ongoing personal protection etc.

Ben  

3 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Final decision being made early next month, announcement on the 9th April.

If there is a risk of there being any restrictions or it being unsafe and they will postpone till May 2022.

Oh no, really? I was hoping it was on for sure. 

(Are you directly involved in the festival may I ask? A couple of our gang helped set up the very first one).

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yep. My experience of coaches is that they are dramatically more cramped than trains on average and appallingly (non) ventilated.

I'd take my chance on a train any day.

39 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Oh no, really? I was hoping it was on for sure. 

(Are you directly involved in the festival may I ask? A couple of our gang helped set up the very first one).

Am not part of the organisation, but have attended all but 2 of them.

I work directly for the festival on build covering the site security, before that I volunteered as a steward.

They are pretty much hoping it will operate, but remember they are people who have full time jobs and do this for the love of it, and won't risk anything and would rather see a financially stable future for it rather than take a chance like a lot of events are this year. Hence the late decision in April.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I totally get everyone's concern - I've seen this disease as close up as anyone ever needs to. And I promise I'm not being in any way blase, but if we're going to be happy to jump around, sweating on and being sweated on by, 100s of people, cheek by jowl, at an indoor gig, after relaxation of restrictions, I really don't think there need be too much anxiety about coach vs. train to get there!

As I said, just be as careful at that point as you feel you need to be etc. I'm pretty sure I won't wear a mask 'at all' (other than at work) after restrictions have lifted, but I absolutely support anyone who sees that as part of their ongoing personal protection etc.

Ben  

Oh I agree completely- just got caught up in the hypothetical debate 😂

• Like 1

I've got tix to Roskilde festival in Denmark, the dates of which are 26/6-3/7.  It's a big one, on the same level as like Glasto, Rock Werchter, Mad Cool etc. I've got pretty much no hope of it going ahead, however they still haven't cancelled, and keep saying they are optimistic about it going ahead.

Today they sent out a survey, which included a bunch of ideas they're looking at in order to get the festival to go ahead. One of which is a covid passport, which is fair enough. But they've also suggested banning alcohol sales, and having a lottery system for going into certain areas/stages. So you might not even get to see the acts you want to.

It's utter madness.

21 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I've got tix to Roskilde festival in Denmark, the dates of which are 26/6-3/7.  It's a big one, on the same level as like Glasto, Rock Werchter, Mad Cool etc. I've got pretty much no hope of it going ahead, however they still haven't cancelled, and keep saying they are optimistic about it going ahead.

Today they sent out a survey, which included a bunch of ideas they're looking at in order to get the festival to go ahead. One of which is a covid passport, which is fair enough. But they've also suggested banning alcohol sales, and having a lottery system for going into certain areas/stages. So you might not even get to see the acts you want to.

It's utter madness.

Jeeze, fuck that.

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

It's utter madness.

That’s ridiculous to even consider. Just don’t bother at all if you’re going to have those restrictions. 

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Small child: "Knock knock".

Blutarsky: "I refuse to say 'Who's there' - your idea of a joke uses a very artificial and tired construct".

Small child repeats "knock knock" in a tedious and monotone manner, occasionally pausing to berate the audience for expecting it to be followed up with a cliche. Then mutters something about a moon on a stick and walks off to fits of laughter from a liberal elite audience which is simultaneously congratulating itself for finding such subversive humour amusing. 

• Like 1

I've got tickets to Bloodstock in August and I'm expecting to go ahead if the June 21 lockdown lift A:Goes Ahead and B:The numbers are good in the subsequent weeks.

I'm getting my first jab Saturday and by the time of the festival will have had my second, so I'd feel pretty secure going should it still be allowed to go ahead. 

On 3/17/2021 at 11:53 AM, bennyhana22 said:

That's just not true. If all follows the plan for no restrictions by 21 June, there is no logic for that. Now, it may yet not, but we have no logic on which to base that, other than the occurrence of a major confounder that is not currently anticipated.

To reiterate - on a healthcare population level, it doesn't 'matter' if cases go up, if that does not translate into admissions and deaths. A few years ago there were something like 50 000 excess deaths from a very bad 'flu season. What happened thereafter? Nothing! Of course, coronavirus is not a direct comparison, but 'flu has NOWHERE near the extent or efficacy of vaccination compared to our current position.

Ben

🙂

Eden sessions was early July and they have cancelled.. I was sure it would be on being a few weeks after 21st June but sadly not.

37 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Eden sessions was early July and they have cancelled.. I was sure it would be on being a few weeks after 21st June but sadly not.

That's a shame.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm not in anyway suggesting that everything will change from lockdown to unrestricted, normal life on 21 June. And, there are myriad reasons and considerations that will influence each potential event from that date forward. It's reasonable to assume that the closer an event is to 21 June, the more pressure will be on the organisers, the less certainty, the greater the financial risk, and so the greater the likelihood of them cutting their losses and postponing or cancelling.

I just still hold my position regarding the logical, population healthcare considerations that will be in play. We know we're not even vaguely looking at, or for, zero-COVID. We need to achieve adequate population protection such that the impact of the disease poses no greater threat than many/any others. On the basis of the current UK uptake of vaccination (e.g. '100 %' in the 70-74 group - meaning they have vaccinated more than was understood to be in that category!), the speed of rollout, and the efficacy of both vaccines on transmission, contracting the disease, hospital admission and death, it is not foolishly optimistic to see the summer as the point whereby 'COVID is manageable in the UK, like any other significant communicable disease'. If that does transpire, then there is no logical reason not to allow normal social activity, including us all off our tits and new best friends at festivals. Now, many, many events may have had to pull out by then, but that doesn't mean they 'can't' happen. 

I can foresee quite a number more pulling the plug, only for the fortunate later-in-the-summer events to have time to hold their nerve and then be okay. That's what I hope, both from a 'selfish' perspective (I'be got two festivals booked in mid-late August), but also from a logical, scientific viewpoint.

Ben

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sisco said:

100% affected by the type of acts they had booked (overseas)

And this is my point - absolutely, any events that can happen in the summer/early autumn will almost certainly depend on UK/EU acts, which is quite exciting in a way, that a festival season might have a very domestic line-up just once, in 'unprecedented' times. But if you can get acts to your event, by mid-late summer, you very well may be able to run it!

Ben