Jump to content

2022 Headliners


Chrisp1986
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's probably been suggested before but if they do have him, would/could Coachella be prepared to announce Kendrick (and the rest of their lineup), after the Superbowl performance? I appreciate it's alongside others but it might be the perfect time to do so, it's bound to be a fantastic show

Coachella is dropping today apparently (US time so maybe late for us).

Also the headliners for coachella look to be rage, Billie, ye

Edited by Matt42
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Forgive me if I’ve missed it, but I’d there a reason why Lady Gaga has been ruled out?

Chromatica ball looks to be cancelled in its entirety and no indication she’s doing anything

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Coachella is dropping today apparently (US time so maybe late for us)

Or tomorrow, fwiw. It's a working holiday in the States too.

I still think The Weeknd's hints about 'wake up at dawn' and all this pre-release rumble means we can't discount him. Ye has form in pulling bookings because the production is not to his liking. Maybe Abel is on standby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Chromatica ball looks to be cancelled in its entirety and no indication she’s doing anything

I don’t think it is… Gaga has been quite clear that it’s postponed until she can rearrange dates with certainty. And given that the original tour was only announced in March 2020 and has relatively few stops, it’s likely we’ll see rearranged dates confirmed in next couple of months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

Or tomorrow, fwiw. It's a working holiday in the States too.

I still think The Weeknd's hints about 'wake up at dawn' and all this pre-release rumble means we can't discount him. Ye has form in pulling bookings because the production is not to his liking. Maybe Abel is on standby.

Maybe we need to start talking about the Weeknd headlining Glasto 2022

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

"The tour dates are moving and will commence in the summer of 2022."

I mean... please

 

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

Don't want to get hopes up. Don't want to dine on scraps. But he would absolutely crush it.

I mean if we are talking about huge acts that would be on Glasto’s fridge-list for some time I can’t see why he wouldn’t be? Comfortably one of the biggest acts in the world that hasn’t done it. He has plenty of hits to do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Don't want to get hopes up. Don't want to dine on scraps. But he would absolutely crush it.

Well you can stick those hopes back where they came from...

He's been very clear that this next joint is a stadium tour 'due to constraints of arenas'. I think Glastonbury would be similarly constraining.

Edited by dentalplan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well you can stick those hopes back where they came from...

He's been very clear that this next joint is a stadium tour 'due to constraints of arenas'. I think Glastonbury would be similarly constraining.

Meh I always read into that “I can sell way more tickets than I already have so I’m upgrading to stadiums”.

An act can do stadiums and Glastonbury. Plus he could have been asked towards the back end of this year if Kendrick decided he didn’t want to tour.

Edited by Matt42
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well you can stick those hopes back where they came from...

He's been very clear that this next joint is a stadium tour 'due to constraints of arenas'. I think Glastonbury would be similarly constraining.

The quote was “Due to constraints of arenas and the demand for more shows I want to do something bigger and special for you which requires stadiums”

Seems that the constraints of arenas could also be referring to the backlog of dates for due to covid, which is less of an issue at stadiums. It’s probably easier to book a stadium show than three arena shows at this point.  Certainly can’t rule him out. Would be a fantastic booking for the festival. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be a brilliant booking, and dare I say a more popular option than Kendrick. Even those of us who dab down on King Kenny can't be too mad that a like-for-like replacement has been found.

Just don't want to imagine a shiny new booking emerges for this year's festival with absolutely no precedent or rumours tilting in that direction. But I hope Abel does it soon — 2023, 24 or whenever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Matt42 said:

Meh I always read into that “I can sell way more tickets than I already have so I’m upgrading to stadiums”.

An act can do stadiums and Glastonbury. 

FFS. Of course they can. Like seemingly every post you make nowadays, you're saying something that everyone knows to be true and isn't at all what I'm arguing against. You should go into politics.

Abel is notoriously committed to his craft and the performance. The massive spectacle of the Superbowl Halftime show has probably stepped up what he wants to put on for the tour. What's more - he also isn't doing any festivals so far, so how is he any more likely than Kendrick?

Additionally, he has a massive fuckoff ego so I can't see him being convinced to step down his stage show and his fee demands to headline Glastonbury due to the 'increased exposure'

4 minutes ago, zero000 said:

The quote was “Due to constraints of arenas and the demand for more shows I want to do something bigger and special for you which requires stadiums”

Seems that the constraints of arenas could also be referring to the backlog of dates for due to covid, which is less of an issue at stadiums. It’s probably easier to book a stadium show than three arena shows at this point.  Certainly can’t rule him out. Would be a fantastic booking for the festival. 

What does the 'I want to do something bigger and special for you which requires stadiums' mean then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ddiamondd said:

It would be a brilliant booking, and dare I say a more popular option than Kendrick. Even those of us who dab down on King Kenny can't be too mad that a like-for-like replacement has been found.

Just don't want to imagine a shiny new booking emerges for this year's festival with absolutely no precedent or rumours tilting in that direction. But I hope Abel does it soon — 2023, 24 or whenever.

I would agree with this.

I don't think it's particularly 'like-for-like' as, well, him and Kendrick would be very different. But he's someone who is going to be looked back on as one of the standout stars in music for this period in history, and getting him right now would be perfect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

FFS. Of course they can. Like seemingly every post you make nowadays, you're saying something that everyone knows to be true and isn't at all what I'm arguing against. You should go into politics.

Abel is notoriously committed to his craft and the performance. The massive spectacle of the Superbowl Halftime show has probably stepped up what he wants to put on for the tour. What's more - he also isn't doing any festivals so far, so how is he any more likely than Kendrick?

Additionally, he has a massive fuckoff ego so I can't see him being convinced to step down his stage show and his fee demands to headline Glastonbury due to the 'increased exposure'

What does the 'I want to do something bigger and special for you which requires stadiums' mean then?

I think you read my posts to be more contentious than they are. My point was that he said he was doing a stadium tour - but this was a while ago, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was approached by the festival toward the back end of last year (if the dates fit). Maybe Glasto HQ got notice of him being local and chased after him.

It looks like he’s dropping dates soon so maybe we will have an answer to this soonish. 

Also Glasto seems to be getting good at booking the money hungry high ego acts lately. I’m not going to doubt their ability to rope in the Weeknd.

7 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

It would be a brilliant booking, and dare I say a more popular option than Kendrick. Even those of us who dab down on King Kenny can't be too mad that a like-for-like replacement has been found.

Just don't want to imagine a shiny new booking emerges for this year's festival with absolutely no precedent or rumours tilting in that direction. But I hope Abel does it soon — 2023, 24 or whenever.

Funny that - I agree. I’d prefer Kendrick but you can’t lie that he has major crossover appeal. I reckon even my mum knows some of his songs.

2022 would be nice, but I reckon he’s a shout for a future edition too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

What does the 'I want to do something bigger and special for you which requires stadiums' mean then?

I completely agree that’s all about the big production but there’s no reason he couldn’t have an adapted or different big production for festival slots also. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think it's particularly 'like-for-like' as, well, him and Kendrick would be very different. But he's someone who is going to be looked back on as one of the standout stars in music for this period in history, and getting him right now would be perfect.

Sure, unless we call Jay back, you're never going to get a precisely equal replacement who is both regarded as a god MC and a generational superstar. But The Weeknd is more alike than unalike, as you've outlined pretty succinctly.

I'm still pulling for Kendrick. But I'll be ecstatic if we land Abel at any point in the next few years too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, zero000 said:

I completely agree that’s all about the big production but there’s no reason he couldn’t have an adapted or different big production for festival slots also. 

Sure, in another year I think it is possible. Not suggesting he's one of these acts who will never do festivals because he has a setup every time he tours. But in a year where he seems to be promising big production stadium shows that he canned the previous tour to do, and isn't doing festivals (so far), I think it's off the menu.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They roped Billie in when she was probably doing a venue only tour for 2022. It depends if Glasto pitched it right. 

Regardless it looks like he’s dropping dates soon so this all could be nothing if he is booked out over the festival - but it’s a nice one to think about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

They roped Billie in when she was probably doing a venue only tour for 2022. It depends if Glasto pitched it right. 

I'm pretty sure Neil has said in the past that the festival doesn't generally vie for acts they don't have prior relationships with, the acts (by which I of course mean their agents) approach them. Eilish playing in 2019 was conducive to headlining in 2022. Abel has no such relationship with Glastonbury - perhaps only a negative one.

Edited by dentalplan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to clarify I don’t think The Weeknd is headlining, I still trust Neil’s trio. I just don’t think it’s completely a shut case when we don’t know his tour dates yet. But announcing a 2022 tour in early Jan would set him up nicely for a glasto announcement in Feb… all I’m saying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...